HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Discussion
Arduino based IR tag module for combat

Hi

I'm working on an open source project for an arduino (pro mini) based combat system using IR signals (like television remote etc). The idea is that on a hit the throttle (or any other channel you want) is blocked for some time (see code for how to define for how long and other details). The possibilities however are endless. You can add more channels or a scoring system for instance.

I have the prototypes working on the ground but don't really have a flying buddy so I can't do much more testing with my 2 modules for now... I hope someone is interested in this thing and can give it a try!?

You can find all the details on my project website at http://redmine.hcpl.be/projects/tag-combat/wiki

All you need is:
- an arduino, preferable the pro mini or comparable in size
- IR receiver + matching capacitor & resistor (see datasheet, I didn't use any)
- IR led + matching resistor
- some pin headers to esc and receiver

Optionally you can add a buzzer and some leds for feedback. These are in the code although I didn't check the buzzer so that might need some tuning.

This isn't perfect yet. For instance you'll have a certain amount of latency added since I didn't use any interrupts yet. Also the IR led might need a lens for optimalisation. Any contributions are very welcome. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Kr

Hans
sh4nce is offline Find More Posts by sh4nce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:50 AM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
I added a short video to show how it works. If there is enough interest I can design a pcb for it and get it printed. Only affordable when I have a certain amount of units though.

IR-tag-combat (1 min 37 sec)

If the IR signal seems to be inadequate in the air then I can always swap to the ultrasound system used by the Parkzone sonic combat module. These are also very cheap (check http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rx-tx-ult...-receiver.html ). Then I can even make it compatible with the sonic combat module!
Last edited by sh4nce; Jul 15, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Cool I'll wait for some more test results ftom you before I start the build. What's the max range with IR modules?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Jul 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:36 AM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Hi

I'll make a static target on the ground for testing this weekend. Simplified code for the target (doesn't need throttle control) will also go online. I'll try to do some range testing and a video of it. Too bad I don't have my video goggles yet... Will look for recording option through pc instead.

Btw if you have some arduino experience or an ftdi chip laying around for some reason you can also make this with a barebone arduino. That costs less than 10 EUR. Gives you a set of these for like 20 EUR. Only need to find a friend then (I'm talking for myself now ).
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
You can record via laptop with a easycap (its cheap).
Will you also test the ultrasonic modules? To see if its better than ir...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:45 AM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Yes I have an easycap coming. The fpv stuff is new to me so most is still on the mail. I have a computer somewhere with a capture card. I need to reinstall that One and then I can put it in the garage with the receiver out of the window . I fly over the fields next to my house so should be doable.

The sonic things are also on the mail. As soon as I have them I'll adapt thee code and test these also. I worked with these things before. Very similar to IR (regarding logic in code I mean).
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:00 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,255 Posts
hm, any guesstimate on how light this could be made? Would be awesome to add to the micro 4ch fp helis *looks at the v911 with main engine upgrade*.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4nce View Post
Yes I have an easycap coming. The fpv stuff is new to me so most is still on the mail. I have a computer somewhere with a capture card. I need to reinstall that One and then I can put it in the garage with the receiver out of the window . I fly over the fields next to my house so should be doable.

The sonic things are also on the mail. As soon as I have them I'll adapt thee code and test these also. I worked with these things before. Very similar to IR (regarding logic in code I mean).
Very cool
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:03 AM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
hm, any guesstimate on how light this could be made? Would be awesome to add to the micro 4ch fp helis *looks at the v911 with main engine upgrade*.
The one I'm testing today on my flying wing (swift II) is 7g total weight. This is including 3 leds and a pcb. You can drop the weight by removing those leds (really only useful on the ground for testing the connections) and the pcb could be replaced by a lighter version or just wires.

If you don't really care too much about replacing a burnt out IR led you can also remove the resistor on that one. I have been using leds without the recommended resistor for ages and none have failed on me so far. Also these things are very cheap.

I haven't got any filtering on the IR receiver yet though. Since I now only receive the signal without reading the data within this is not yet needed. But if you want to add a scoring system and other more advanced features this filtering might be needed.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
And I just went flying. I reduced the nr of samples to 2 for the moving average of the throttle. On 3 samples it really was strange on the ground since the throttle signal was always a second behind the actual stick placement. With 2 samples no more issue. Still it would be better to use interrupts instead but I didn't notice the lag anymore.

Too bad it's very windy. I got it up in the air and it flew well. The idea was to have my daughter aim to the plane to shoot it down from the ground. I couldn't fly low next to hair because of the wind. The plane was all over the place.

So I did a range test on the ground instead. Up to 8m distance works like it should.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Good start
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
A quick way to attach it is in the tail wheel made into a skid.
I use black trash bag plastic over the rec in the daylight.
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:03 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Have you had any luck or tried the new 2 watt bulb and code to fire it ?
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:11 AM
BelgiŽ, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Is the black helping with the reception improving range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrout View Post
Have you had any luck or tried the new 2 watt bulb and code to fire it ?
What's a 2 watt bulb? No haven't tried it yet .
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Aug 2007
3,903 Posts
This project looks cool.

Wonder if it can be integrated with the MultiWii code which already uses a ProMini or ArduinoMega to save on some weight? If not, still cool. Might be better to keep the code separate so they don't conflict with each other?
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member