Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Idea
Dual Thrust IR Micro Boeing 747

Howdy

I just love the Boeing 747, it's such a good looking airliner. So I made this 4mm motor IR dual thrust version. It's made from 2mm wallfoam and printed tissue.
AUW is 5.2 grams. I created the plans on photoshop, if you wish, you can of course use them and edit them to create your own Jumbo Jet. The idea is to build a relatively aesthetically pleasing foam model that can be built into a glider or RC.

The best glue for small models like this is UHU por. I first print on the A4 sized tissue then iron it to the foam. After cutting out the pieces, roll curves into the fuse on a table edge or a pen. There is a technique to this so practice makes perfect. You can use depron too! The pics were taken on my phone.

Strictly indoor flying only, the infra-red signal does not do well outside, water can smudge the ink and even 2mph wind can flop it over. No video yet.

If you have a question, let me know
Electronick is offline Find More Posts by Electronick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,436 Posts
Simply AMAZING Electronic! Smallest airliner I've ever seen

Very cool!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
Sittin' on my hands
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2005
189 Posts
That is so neat. Please post a video when you can.
depronair is online now Find More Posts by depronair
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by depronair View Post
That is so neat. Please post a video when you can.
The Boeing 737 I made a while back uses the same components, the flying manners should be similar. What I'm really looking forward too is picking up the gondola from the Plantraco Nano blimp, it has three motors but one only needs to chop the 3rd up/down motor off and use the two vectoring motors for control. That means fully proportional lightweight control at 100 metre range, suited for outdoors too. Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. The dual thrust IR components I use now are extremely poor in range and outdated but have some potential.

Indoor flying Potters Bar (2 min 17 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:27 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Simply AMAZING Electronic! Smallest airliner I've ever seen

Very cool!
Thanks! They can be enlarged for a more floaty experience though, I find the best size is about 45-55 cm WS for authentic flight patterns w/2mm wallfoam.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
The larger size 737 w/ starscream radio control components is the better size choice though for scale speed, great for outdoor flying and weight becomes less of a worry. The smaller models tend to be more difficult to trim.

RC Boeing 737 Air France (5 min 22 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Holy crap!!!!!!!!, WOW...i thought about this concept but never did anything with it, but its for sure is well worth doing it!....now since there r no flight control surfaces, how do you control pitch of the flying model, i can see how you do the turns but .......
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:10 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,436 Posts
I love the 737!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:12 AM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
524 Posts
what exactly is the wallfoam you use?....where can one get it? thanks
Frank Rys is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rys
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rys View Post
what exactly is the wallfoam you use?....where can one get it? thanks
Wallfoam is a 2mm thick polystyrene foam material used for home insulation in the UK. It is sold under the brand name 'Warmaline Decolite'. I have not found in any stores lately, I think the company has stopped manufacturing it. I only have a few pieces left, enough to build a dozen or so more airliners.
But, you can prepare it yourself with a few tools and hardware. At the factory they cast the EPS foam into large drum-like cylinders and then shave off sheets with a sharp blade, not a hot wire, creating a long roll of thin sliced foam. It is very lightweight.
You can also use 1mm depron to build if 2mm EPS foam is not a viable option
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:57 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan View Post
Holy crap!!!!!!!!, WOW...i thought about this concept but never did anything with it, but its for sure is well worth doing it!....now since there r no flight control surfaces, how do you control pitch of the flying model, i can see how you do the turns but .......
Full throttle causes the plane to pitch up and gain altitude, half throttle and it flies level while zero throttle will allow a controlled decent since the turning still functions without the throttle.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
I love the 737!
Me too. Sometimes when I finish building a plane I put it next to my bed for a few days so when I wake up in the morning the first thing I see is my love. This one time a had a whole mini Heathrow airport going on in my bedroom.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Lol Can i come see you maiden this thing? ??
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronick View Post
The larger size 737 w/ starscream radio control components is the better size choice though for scale speed, great for outdoor flying and weight becomes less of a worry. The smaller models tend to be more difficult to trim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR7MvWTeF0I&feature=plcp
Nice! Whats the wingspan on the bigger version?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
Max
Joined Jul 2006
408 Posts
Different IR system

Hey Electronick, have you considered replacing your IR system with Koichi Tanaka's Two motor proportional IR ?

Check out one of my old posts, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622328

That plane has a small two motor IR system and I was able to fly outside at a park with it, I'm sure it would improve your range.

Are you interested in something like that? I can provide you with details on how to build one or how to order one from Koichi or from me.
msurguy is offline Find More Posts by msurguy