Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,006 Posts
Discussion
Flying hovercraft

Gott'a do something new,it's OK if failed
a gentleman posted a simple skirtless scratchbuilt Depron hovercraft couple monthes ago,and an idea came acrossed my mind....why not give a shot and fly it
one 25 gram BL motor with 4" prop facing down for ground hovering,and a 42 gram BL motor with 8" prop for propulsion,6th channel(flap) to control the small motor when on the ground as hovercraft and cut the power when airborned on my JR 9X2 TX.
it goes very well as hovercraft indoor,but will try go outdoor for real flying.
will it flies.......who knows
cheers
Sam
IMGP0360
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=1
samwei1950 is online now Find More Posts by samwei1950
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwei1950 View Post
Gott'a do something new,it's OK if failed
a gentleman posted a simple skirtless scratchbuilt Depron hovercraft couple monthes ago,and an idea came acrossed my mind....why not give a shot and fly it
one 25 gram BL motor with 4" prop facing down for ground hovering,and a 42 gram BL motor with 8" prop for propulsion,6th channel(flap) to control the small motor when on the ground as hovercraft and cut the power when airborned on my JR 9X2 TX.
it goes very well as hovercraft indoor,but will try go outdoor for real flying.
will it flies.......who knows
cheers
Sam
IMGP0360
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=1
Be sure to post a video of it flying!
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
*reads thread*
*frowns, then smiles, frowns, then smiles.*
*adds another box of Depron to his RFfoam order*
*adds some more power systems to his hobbyking order*

I'll try this too

I frowned, because I knew I'd want to try this, and it would take time away from other projects
Then I smiled, because I thought of how cool it would be if it works.
Frowned, because I realized it would cost money
Then smiled, because I realized I have the money.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
So, essentially, the drive prop is oversized, and a switch toggles on/off for the second motor?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,742 Posts
I don't know if you guys have seen this - a full scale flying hovercraft !

Universal Hovercraft - UH-18SPW Hoverwing™ Flying Ground Effect Hovercraft (1 min 13 sec)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
That' more like a hovercraft with wings rather than a lifting-body... I might end up doing that if the lifting-body idea doesn't work.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I just looked at the pics again.. it seems ike you have some built-in down thrust. Although that would be good for hovering, I don't know how it would affect flight characteristics.

Also, how do you calculate CG of a hovercraft?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,150 Posts
A lot of home built Hovercraft plans just call for about 15% of the pusher prop to be ducted underneath the boat to be lifting air. Literally they just put a duct at the bottom of the prop ring and fill the bottom of the craft.

Pretty cool way to do both without adding the weight or complexity of a second motor.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Interesting stuff.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:14 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
Hovercraft normally have a soft skirt to help contain the lift, I don't see a skirt on the model.

The video is of a combination hovercraft and ground effect vehicle, a ground effect vehicle flies in what is called ground effect, the compression of the air between the wing and the surface of the ground or water, strictly a low altitude aircraft, usually limited to 10-12 feet above the surface. The Russian Ecranoplanes are ground effect vehicles: http://englishrussia.com/2007/06/21/ekranoplans/

Ekranoplan KM 'Caspian Sea Monster' seaplane (10 min 59 sec)
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Hmm. I got an idea. What about having a ducted fan, with a variable amount dedicated to lift. A servo bound to a flap channel can divert 15-20% downwards to thrust, but once lift is achieved via airfoil, then a servo can divert that power purely to thrust.

What about essentially building a nutball, with the flat round part with a hover skirt, and make it RET?

Also, low-pitch low-rpm fan with a shroud around it, or a full-on EDF?
Last edited by acetech09; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,006 Posts
The said toy been built quite a while,but did not trying for a outdoor maiden dued to busy on the scale-birds upgrading
will fix my time to maiden the craft soonest and come back with a vid,crashed or not crashed.....woop.....it's so hot outside
cheers
Sam
PICT0399
samwei1950 is online now Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:19 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
Hovercraft normally have a soft skirt to help contain the lift, I don't see a skirt on the model.
Not necessarily. The original hovercraft didn't have a skirt. The skirt was in fact a separate invention filed in a separate patent. This is one of the earliest hovercraft developed - the SR.N1 and it's skirtless.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-I...3/article.html
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
A lot of home built Hovercraft plans just call for about 15% of the pusher prop to be ducted underneath the boat to be lifting air. Literally they just put a duct at the bottom of the prop ring and fill the bottom of the craft.

Pretty cool way to do both without adding the weight or complexity of a second motor.
I tried that at first on the skirtless hovercraft - didn't like it . With a separate lift motor ( on the throttle channel ) I can rotate ( motor torque ) the hovercraft without forward movement - nice if you're in a tight spot . It also allows ( sort of ) braking by reducing lift so there's more drag on the ground .Then I have the thrust motor on the elevator channel ( push it forward to go forward ) , and the rudder on either the rudder or aileron channel . Works great for drifting !

Skirtless hovercraft (2 min 7 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post

The video is of a combination hovercraft and ground effect vehicle, a ground effect vehicle flies in what is called ground effect, the compression of the air between the wing and the surface of the ground or water, strictly a low altitude aircraft, usually limited to 10-12 feet above the surface. The Russian Ecranoplanes are ground effect vehicles: http://englishrussia.com/2007/06/21/ekranoplans/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUTWWsh6iGA
I had built another hovercraft with a skirt - it worked fine - but I made the skirtless hovercraft just to try the easiest , quickest way to make a hovercraft ( that still works well ) .