HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:06 AM
Israel, Mikhmanim
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
Newbie here, help with Blade MCX2 needed

I've purchased an MCX2 for my sons (17, 19). First RC for them ever. They've been flying it for a few days now at the low rate setting, using the included RTF transmitter.

The are complaining that it has a tendency to float to the left, while hovering, that cannot be fixed by trimming (trim is already at the max).

It also seems difficult to make it fly forward - it tends to move backwards very easily but is hard to make go forward.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what to check for or adjust, or possibly replace - or is it that our expectations for it to be able to hover steadily are unreal and it is the nature of the beast?

Thank you
mom25 is offline Find More Posts by mom25
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
Steve
United Kingdom, Staffordshire
Joined Jan 2012
156 Posts
The MCX2 should be able to hover steadily indoors if it is set up properly. You will need to adjust the servo rods in the following manner;

Firstly, switch on the heli and transmitter and set the trims to centre (except the throttle). Look at the swash plate from behind the heli and determine if there is a "slope" to one side or the other.If the heli is drifting left it will be sloping to the left.

Now you can either unclip the left servo rod and lengthen it by screwing counter c/w or shorten the right rod by screwing it c/w. Only adjust by one turn and then reconnect the servo rod to the swash plate and check the level. Then repeat until it looks perfectly level. It should perform much better now.

Hope this helps
Chester1 is offline Find More Posts by Chester1
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
The gyro being on full (low rate v. high rate) makes a huge difference between the bird moving quickly forwards and backwards. The bird should be able to hover steadily when it is properly set up. It is my favorite of the non-3D birds.
lawlist is offline Find More Posts by lawlist
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:20 PM
Israel, Mikhmanim
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Thank you

Many thanks for the detailed answers, guys.

We'll spend some time doing as suggested and report back.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:06 AM
The Helinator. "AL BE FLYING"
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Chester 1 is spot on. You have to do the servo adjustments to get good flight. Once you do it will hover in one spot - this is when you know you have done it right. Also.....DO NOT fly the chopper for more than 5 minutes at a time. And ALWAYS let it cool down for 5 min between flights. If not, the plastic frame can get affected by the heat and warp.
sroc3 is offline Find More Posts by sroc3
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:41 AM
Israel, Mikhmanim
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
We've done as Chester1 suggested, and it's MUCH better now. Nice steady hover, easier control all around.
Thank you - I really appreciate your taking the time to answer!

It was also a good chance to disassemble and learn a bit about how it's put together - which I'm sure will come in handy in the not-too-far future, given the hours this baby is clocking up at the moment.

scro3 - your comment about not flying too long in one go and cooling time has been duly noted, thank you for that!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
You are in Israel? Wow. Not too many posters here from Israel I don't think. I am thinking of getting one of these. Never flown a heli before, but with winter almost here, I would like to learn to fly this inside on those subzero days and nights that will be here very soon.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56