HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
Follow up on DX7s vs DX6i discussion

I asked, on one of the threads, whether I should buy DX7s or DX6i transmitter (I am a beginner), and everybody seemed to think that DX7s is worth extra $100-120 bucks. But, from my further investigation, it seems that DX7s comes in 2 flavors - heli and airplane, and I won't be able to switch between them. So, if I want to try both, I'll need to buy 2 DX7ses, am I correct ? That seems to disqualify it completely. Am I missing something ?
igorek is offline Find More Posts by igorek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:00 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
No, its the same as DX6i. It supports both.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
Did you verify whether the DX7 has the backlight, or whether you plan to install one yourself, or whether it is worth it to upgrade to the DX8?
lawlist is offline Find More Posts by lawlist
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
http://www.spektrumrc.com/products/d...prodid=spm7800

I don't know how you got there were two different models from this.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
The DX6i is really all that you will need for some time. It is not back-lit, but neither is the DX7. The real differences are not anything that you are going to need until you move up to bigger CP models, and I know several people that are even flying CP with their DX6i's. In the meantime, if you don't stay with the hobby, you are only out $150 rather than $300.
LOSTVENTURE is offline Find More Posts by LOSTVENTURE
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:34 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
I had a DX6i ordered at my LHS, but ended up with the DX7S because I couldn't be bothered waiting for the 6 to come in. I'm happy with it so far, and already thinking up ways I can utilise the extra channel. There's 20 pre-set models that you can assign, either to ACRO or HELI, it's just a matter of clicking on either and confirming. Mine was a mode 1 and I easily converted it to mode 2. All I had to do then was change the decals over on th hold and idle up. It even came with a SD card so you can have extra models stored (Not that I expect to ever have more than 20!). The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is no backlight. But neither has the DX6i I don't think? And I can live without it for now, till I can find a simple mod, and fit one myself.
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
If you ever intend to get into quads and onboard cameras, you will want all the channels you can get. 8 - 10 channels would not be out of the question.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
The difference between the helicopter and airplane model has nothing to do with the features of the radio itself, so you wouldn't need two. I have been flying my helicopters with an "airplane" style radio for many years. The difference is only in the location of the 3-position switch which controls flight modes - it is in a better spot on the helicopter style radios. The software is the exact same thing in both. The user can switch the location of the switch, but it's not simple. Keep in mind, when you buy a radio, you want to get one that will provide what you need for YEARS to come, so you might not need the extra channel now, but you probably will at some time before your radio stops working. These things last for many years - way beyond the 3-5 year limitation of consumer electronics.

FYI, I have a radio with a backlight, and I don't find it particularly helpful - it uses battery power and doesn't look that much better. If you're not programming your radio in the dark, you don't need it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501