HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:07 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,080 Posts
Build Log
Brushless 1S Champ (micro)

Just finished my BL micro champ. Always wanted to try this!

I used an AR05 BL 3700Kv motor and 5A Turnigy ESC from HK. Brick (RX) is an AR6400L multi channel rx.

Tested it out and mounted a 3-blade 110x80 prop using graphite-epoxy after reaming carefully the prop hole in the hub. THe AR05 has a 1.5mm shaft size, JUST larger than the hub hole. There was a touch of play, but enough to glue the prop on. Just before curing (~6-7 min until pretty much solid), around the 5 min mark, I adjusted the track and then ran the motor slowly enough to let it self-center and rotate in a plane, and self-balances.

Let sit for another minute, and repeat. Care was taken to avoid over rotating the prop and having it fly off the shaft!

Motor was mounted using 1/32" thin ply in 2 layers (1/16" total). Holes drilled to match motor and shaft rear. I then used 2mm cap screw hardware to affix to the wood. Total weight was just under 2g above the stock brushed motor and mount system. Not bad!

I then hard wired the whole assembly and put in the plane. The ESC was positioned aft of the RX to help balance a bit better. Also, the motor is connected using a spare 2S balance lead plug to ease motor replacement if necessary.

Running is close to the brushed for draw: 1.66Ap. Run time in the 9 minute range at mid-throttle (0.6A), with nominal draw around 2.5W, about 6W peak. The 3A nominal, 5Ap Turnigy ESC runs this VERY well. I could never get the el-cheapo generic ESCs to run with this. While the ESC DOES have a BEC, I left mine in N/C mode, with only the throttle channel going to the ESC, and run the RX/ESC in parallel. Very effective.

Flight is fine - a bit less zippy than the stock setup due to weight: 52g AUW. About 6-7g over stock. I added some Dubro 123 (1.23") sport main wheels, and a DUB12MTW (tail wheel to replace the stock foamy crap. Rolls on grass very nicely. Throws are VERY aggressive, with about a 1.8" variance between max/min on both axes. Tight loops and turns (3rd hole on horns from top).

Still playing with trim, but this so far flies VERY close to straight with almost no extra trim req'd.

Pics below ---- Unit sounds louder than brushed due to resonance in the plane's body. See video on next entry!

Darren/SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Jul 14, 2012 at 01:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:10 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,705 Posts
Better Combo?

Just watched the video as I am trying to catch up on missed posts. Interesting project. Thanks for sharing this. I can see where this combo could come in handy on a few projects in the micro size.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,080 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the conversion. It flies pretty well, just a tad heavier than stock.

What I like is that the motor is NOT brushed, and no gearbox is needed. Less mechanicals equal simpler operating and more consistent flight and performance.

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally here in Winnipeg...