HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by davidterrell80, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,883 Posts
Discussion
First Post

Hello,

My name is David Terrell. I currently live in Herndon, Virginia; where I work as a contractor, supporting a government agency.

For almost 20 years, before the events of 2001, I worked as a manufacturing engineer. For most of those years, I worked for Bell helicopter but I also worked for Martin Marietta Denver and Lockheed Martin in Georgia.

I am reentering the hobby after some 20 years. Long ago, I was very active in rubber powered free flight, especially peanut scale.
My, how the hobby is changed.

I am a user of the real flight simulator, and started with a hobby zone champ. Then, I purchased a ultra micro T 28. They have been a great deal of fun. I have also purchased the buzz 100 from Stephen's Aero. I really like it. I did use covering that was a bit heavy and the aircraft really needs a high current battery to fly well. So, I will probably recover it with something lighter. I also purchased the larger Park Flyer T 28 and have enjoyed it. My latest purchase was the carbon cub and, like many people, experienced the servo problems that seem endemic to that aircraft. I flew for a total of about 4 min. before the elevator servo drove up and burned out. I'm still waiting for that 200 dollar aircraft to return.

I went ahead and bought subscription service from Stephen's Aero and I am beginning to receive the kits that are part of the subscription. I purchased enough ultra microelectronics to keep five in the air.

I'm doing my first scratch build now. I chose to do the Polaris Park Flyer. It's about 80% complete. I purchased enough foam and various adhesives to build for the next several years. I will probably be building many aircraft, keeping to a wingspan or length below about 40 inches, so will fit in the backseat of my automobile.

I am also an amateur radio operator (advanced class), and have some experience with radios and radio technology. My special interest in radio is the design and construction of antennas. My call sign is KB5LAM.

So, all in all I expect I will be more of a builder than a flyer. I do enjoy the flying, don't get me wrong. But I'm also an artist and, part of me sees these planes as flying sculptures.

So I expect to be beginning a build thread before long and I hope I do okay. You'll probably notice that I will tend to build Navy aircraft. Being a retired naval reserve officer tends to do that to you.

Best regards,
David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Sep 15, 2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Formatting
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:52 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
757 Posts
Good post. Can you tell me more about the Stephen's Aero subscription? Are you able to fly the ultramicros inside a house?
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,883 Posts
Thanks!

The Stevens Aero program is called the "Micro Builder Program"

It offers 4 kits a year, four free shipping coupons for other purchases, and 15% off their other products.

I decided to buy after building and flying their BuzzBomb 100. I am very happy with the kit and the flying characteristics.

While there are some ultra micros (under 20 grams) that can be flown in a domestic setting, those I own are too heavy (40 grams) and too fast. I have flown my Hobby Zone Champ very successfully in a Basketball court. You do have to keep the throttle down under 50%. I actually attached two small drag flaps to the Champ, to slow it down further, and trimmed the aircraft to drift to one side, in the direction I was orbiting the court, much as I used to do to my free flight rubber aircraft. This slowed the aircraft and made it easier to keep out of the walls. The accommodations also tended to make the flight feel closer to that of a free flight, with throttle.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BBCC Results
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:59 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
757 Posts
thanks
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei