HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by twn Chen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:10 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Discussion
My scratch built Alula, motor powered one.

I decided to scratch build this Alula from 3mm depron sheets in last summer. In last July I saw the thread talking about the Alula sold by Dream Flight, it was a side arm launch glider or slope glider actually, it was made of EPP totally. EPP foam is far expensive than depron sheets in Taiwan, and EPP is also hard to be carved manually, so I decided to apply depron sheets instead. Adding clear tapes and with some reinforcements depron sheets can make it stronger than what it is, though it can not be as tough as EPP but what I need is light weight and ease. I think applying depron sheets and EPS foams is still the good way to go when building light electric airplanes. I applied balsa sheets quite a lot when I built glow engine birds before.

Using the said setup with good throttle management this Alula could have 12 more minutes flight duration if it's not too windy. The rest Voltage each cell was about 3.90V right after landing if I applied 50 - 60% throttle more in the air. It could penetrate winds with such throttle, it could fly better in winds if I apply more throttle.

It's very pitch sensitive, I applied dual rates 40 - 60% on its elevator on calm days, while 35 - 50% when it's windy. And the inner hole on both servo arms, while the second outer hole on both control horns. I noticed that the online manual of Alula recommended applying 3mm each way only. While mine is 5mm in high rate. I use low rate mostly, but high rate is required if I want to fly some aerobatics.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Last edited by twn Chen; Sep 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
Experimental Flyer
United States, MO, Clark
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Pretty cool!

My first thought is it look's like a bird. Aren't we jealous of them. lol
hitechredneck is offline Find More Posts by hitechredneck
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:52 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
That's cool, thanks for posting it. I've got an unpowered Alula that I'm learning to slope soar with. 70 grams extra weight is pretty good.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Thank guys, mine flies well in both calm weather and winds, I also like the way it turns in the air, it can turn sharply very sharply without loosing altitude from what I am aware from ground, sorry I did not install any altimeter on it and my JR Tx.

It's very pitch sensitive, I applied dual rates 40 - 60% on its elevator on calm days, while 35 - 50% when it's windy. And the inner hole on both servo arms, while the second outer hole on both control horns. I noticed that the online manual of Alula recommended 3mm as its throw. I use low rate mostly, but hight rate is required if I want to fly some aerobatics.

Tobermei, I'd suggest painting your Alula's wing top and its bottom in different colours, and its tail as well. This way makes it much easier when identifying its orientations.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:02 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the painting. I was going to paint it when i first put it together, but then i realized I could easily add the highlights later. At the moment I'm not able to keep it in the air long enough to get it too far away to work out the orientation, but that will come no doubt.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei