HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:12 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Discussion
Inline Motor - Help me identify what this is

Looking for help identifying this motor. Does anyone have any information? There are no markings on it other than IN LINE .35.
nippaero is online now Find More Posts by nippaero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:43 PM
engine-a-holic
Portugal, Lisboa, Amadora
Joined Jun 2007
314 Posts
Now this is a rather unique design...

The closest I remember seeing is this one

http://modelenginenews.org/drj/aero35.html

I'd really like to know more about it.
Patxipt is offline Find More Posts by Patxipt
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
If I remember right these cam axial-engines were made by the Russian company Profi. I wasn't able to find anything on the net, but these are not that old, 1990's maybe. The only reference I could find was on Reggie's site.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,120 Posts
Yes Reginald has one of those engines, i can't spell or pronounce the engine designer's name but I beleive he was Russian and made the engines specifically for a Russian scale control line bomber plane he had built. This is the reference I saw where Reginald mentioned it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...n#post20730427

It is a Krasznorutski engine and Reggie's engine is the one on the left of the lower row. Of course it could be the second one on the right of the lower row too.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Thanks. That is good info. I picked up this engine today at an estate sale. It has never been ran.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:21 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,755 Posts
Inline 35

Not to be confused with the Kratmo ( Kratschnorutski ) your engine was indeed made by Alexander Ossovick of Profi Engines in the USSR, there was also a larger capacity version, the engines do appear occasionally on ebay.
Probably the very first to experiment with piston in-line with cylinder were August Savage and John Piston whom made one or two engines, one belonged to the late De Rancougne collection, do'nt know who's got it now. Then came along the Aero 35's from around 1963 and made by Aero Research (Neil Savage & John Piston) and these are to me still the most original and well engineered inline's. The Kratmo uses gears to transmith the movement and so does the Japanese Hiness that was copied from the Krat. The rarest inline's are the ones by Clarence Lee one of those sits in my collection and is based on the Veco 29. And then in the late 80'ies came along your engine and was given the nickname simply as name. An entirely different system is used but rather similar to a car airco pump I believe. I have incl. some pics.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:26 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,755 Posts
Inline engines

The C.Lee engine and a picture of another inline often overlooked are the RCV's
rotary sleeve (was already used in pre-WW2 airplanes so nothing new here) pictured here in two different size capacity.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:32 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,755 Posts
Inline 35

Here's a peep inside your engine, you can see the sideway mounted plate onto which rolls an axle on bearings moving the rod up-down.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Wow. Lots of great information. So from the Information above, it appears these engines were designed for a scale CL bomber? Is there any information out there about these planes or pictures? Did Profi produce them in numbers or low quantities?

Can you tell me what it is worth or what you have seen them sell for?
Last edited by nippaero; Jul 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:52 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Wow. Lots of great information. So from the Information above, it appears these engines were designed for a scale CL bomber? Is there any information out there about these planes or pictures? Did Profi produce them in numbers or low quantities?

I pa
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:04 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post

AMZ in Germany were distributing them and I paid $ 446 for the engine, that was in 1996. I do not know how many were produced and it has been a while since I saw the last one on ebay and I do remember it was the larger version and at a very high price, we are talking double of what I paid but not sure if it sold. In todays world as it is I do not think those prices will be paid again. By the way, this engine was not espescially made for a bomber control line airplane, the Kratmo was, for an Antonov and the year was 1974 if I recall well. The original idea of inline engines was to improve on aerodynamics so to get rid of that cylinder sticking out of the nose.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:27 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
These would be great for scale planes. How come manufacturers arent making these any more or arent majorly popular. Id be thinking these would be perfest for a cowled model
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:33 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses guys. I learned something new! I will most likely be listing this motor sometime soon. I fly mostly electrics now days and it will serve someone else better than sitting in my shop. If anyone is interested in it shoot me a PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:46 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
These would be great for scale planes. How come manufacturers arent making these any more or arent majorly popular. Id be thinking these would be perfest for a cowled model
Thanks Reggie, I appreciate it.

Scrubmonkey, actually RCV engines makes their inline engine series for scale planes. It is a four cycle engine, sleeve valve design and it works really well too.
RCV has several different engine displacements and the engines are gear reduced so that they can turn scale sized props to match the plane the engine is installed in too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
How come you dont see many around then? Are they like the fullsize radial engines which had the problem of not revving down or what? Or is it just not many know that there are such products out?
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey