SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which ESC do you prefer?
Turnigy Plush 28 80.00%
Castle Creation with multicopter firmware 1 2.86%
Hobbywing FlyFun 1 2.86%
Hobbyking SS 2 5.71%
Other 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy Plush vs SimonK ?

Hi guys,
I would like to have some opinions from you about what ESC to use.

I now use Turnigy Plush 12A for my Naza Y6 and they work ok.
Now, will SimonK flashed 12A work much better - i.e is it worth it to buy these?

It seems to me that there are several different 12A ESC to buy but which ones has the highest quality and where can I buy them?

Lot of questions here but I hope it attracts the interest of many people.

/Tritan
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
somebody?
vili is offline Find More Posts by vili
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:25 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
Best ESC's have an external oscillator and are all N-FET.

At that size though there aren't a whole lot that have those, especialy if you want SimonK.

The only one I can see is the HK BlueSeries 12A

If you want to know which can be flashed they are all listed here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:37 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2007
430 Posts
I'm replying to get subscribed as much as anything.

But, I also use Plush 18A at the moment. I just flashed a set of them with BL Heli (and yes it is for quads also) but I have not flown with them yet. I will let you know how they do, when I fly.

I also have some SimonKs (pre-flashed) that I have not tried, but I'm hoping the BL Helis do well (cheaper, actually pretty easy to flash with an Arduino).

My understanding is the external oscillator is not so important if you do some sort of coordinated calibration on the ESCs - eg all at once. Is there some other reason for an external oscillator?
spiked3 is online now Find More Posts by spiked3
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
To answer my own question in post 1 more than 6 month ago:

the best are simply ZTW with simonk - ZTW manufacture a lot for different brands but are actually OEM. I cant find anything on the market ATM which would be better: they have external oscillator, N-FET, high quality, good price etc etc.

I have used 12A, 25A and 35A, zero problems, works super.
I would never go back to plush again or non simonk.
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
Now i use 30A Plush's with my quadrocopter (rabbit fc) and
build my hexa with plushs. My quad is very stable, i can do nice aerial videos.
How can here help esc-s with simonk fw? Can somebody link a flying video with and without simonized esc? thx
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
I'm replying to get subscribed as much as anything.

But, I also use Plush 18A at the moment. I just flashed a set of them with BL Heli (and yes it is for quads also) but I have not flown with them yet. I will let you know how they do, when I fly.

I also have some SimonKs (pre-flashed) that I have not tried, but I'm hoping the BL Helis do well (cheaper, actually pretty easy to flash with an Arduino).

My understanding is the external oscillator is not so important if you do some sort of coordinated calibration on the ESCs - eg all at once. Is there some other reason for an external oscillator?
The reason for the external oscillator is that even when calibrated, the internal oscillator will drift with temperature, and each ESC will drift differently, thereby running each ESC at a slightly different clock rate. An external clock doesn't have that problem
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:49 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vili View Post
Now i use 30A Plush's with my quadrocopter (rabbit fc) and
build my hexa with plushs. My quad is very stable, i can do nice aerial videos.
How can here help esc-s with simonk fw? Can somebody link a flying video with and without simonized esc? thx
From my experience you probably won't notice much difference in performance if your MTM distance is 800mm and above. Less than that its better to go for the flashed ones.
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
Mine is around 600mm
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:56 AM
Joined Apr 2007
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
The reason for the external oscillator is that even when calibrated, the internal oscillator will drift with temperature, and each ESC will drift differently, thereby running each ESC at a slightly different clock rate. An external clock doesn't have that problem
Yes, but in the PID loop isn't motor control based on what change is needed, and not some absolute PWM number?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:58 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
If the MCU's are running at different speeds though the updates to the motors are at different speeds, so from the FC's point of view some motors respond faster than others
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:15 AM
Joined Apr 2007
430 Posts
The motors are mechanical.

1) I'm not convinced an internal oscillator would vary by much, what maybe the difference between 400, and 410 times per second? 2) I doubt that a mechanical motors response would be accurate enough to care and 3) The speed at which the FC sends commands to the motor does not change. It doesn't send a command to a motor and wait, it has it's own oscillator, and loops all 4 motors (or however many), every time.

I can buy the hysteresis arguments for flashed code, although I do not understand why vendors do not just write it that way to begin with. But I would like to see something more concrete on the external oscillators advantages.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
Well simonk has noticed issues with external oscillators and I'm willing to take his word for it

People also report needing to re-calibrate upon large temp changes with internal oscillators
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:02 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Does turnigy plush 18a have external oscilliator and nfets?
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz