Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:43 PM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Multiplex Royal Evo Tutorial Relocated

As of February 13, 2004, I am happy to announce than an agreement between Hitec-USA, Inc. and myself will allow for the hosting of the Multiplex Royal Evo Tutorial file on the Mutiplex-USA and the Multiplex-DE web pages.

Here is the link to the Multiplex-USA web site:

Click here for the Multiplex USA web site

The Evo Tutorial should be posted there sometime during the next week.

I have been steadily working on improving the Multiplex Evo Tutorial for a few months now.

The Evo Tutorial now exists as a single PDF file and as of the latest update, contains well over 70 pages. There are numerous photographs and screen shots of the Evo that reinforce the text. In addition, there are colored diagrams and illustrations that assist the new Evo owner in their transition to the Multiplex programming approach. There are also programming scenarios and mixer definitions that are provided which can be used as guides or example setups to assist in learning the Multiplex programming approach. The mixer definitions are presented graphically with their appropriate servo output curve symbols. There are also other improvements that make the Tutorial a valuable addition for the new Evo owner.

The Evo Tutorial has been formatted for ease of reading and for proper printing. I have endeavored to present a reading environment that is enticing as well as informative. The revised Evo Tutorial continues to offer the minute step-by-step instructions like those that have been provided here on RCGroups.

I am very proud of the Evo Tutorial and continue to believe that it serves current and potential new Royal Evo owners.

In the spirit of serving and assisting new and potentially new Evo owners, the Evo Tutorial will continue to be offered as a free download. The Evo Tutorial may be printed for personal use, but may not be reproduced in any form, within and on any media for any commercial purposes inconsistent with personal use without the expressed and written permission of the author.

With the intention of having a single point of location, I have deleted all of the Evo lessons here on RCGroups. The Evo Tutorial will from this point on be hosted by Hitec-USA and on the Multiplex web pages. This will make maintaining and improving the Multiplex Evo Tutorial easier and less time consuming.

The Evo Tutorial would not exist without the generous assistance from the following persons:

HarryC
Simply put, Harry is the guru when it comes to just about all things Multiplex. Harry spends his valuable time away from the workbench and the flying field happily assisting new Multiplex owners without complaint or due expectations. Harry willingly volunteered his time and feedback when proofing the final drafts of the Evo Tutorial. Without Harry’s assistance, I myself would have had a much greater struggle to understand the Mulitplex programming approach. Harry claims that there are others out there who are more knowledgeable when it comes to solving complex Multiplex programming scenarios and this may be so, but when it comes to willingness to share this knowledge with other pilots around the world, Harry has few peers. I commend him and thank him publicly.

Lawrence Hare
Without Lawrence’s assistance, the final Evo Tutorial would still be a process in the works. Lawrence shared his expertise in Microsoft WORD and allowed me to utilize this program to its capabilities. I thank Lawrence publicly for his assistance.

To all of the readers who wrote private and public letters of accolades, I thank you. Writing the EVO Tutorial has been a challenge, but a great adventure as well.

Fly Multiplex!

Joedy Drulia
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
U.S.A.
Joedy is online now Find More Posts by Joedy
Last edited by Joedy; Feb 14, 2004 at 10:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:07 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Hi Joedy -

Keep it up - don't stop now!

Ron
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Nov 15, 2003, 02:53 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Great job! Keep it up.....
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Nov 15, 2003, 08:28 PM
USA, MD, Bethesda
Joined Nov 2001
480 Posts
Ho ho, excellent Joedy, well done! This is valuable and well positioned - keep it up and thanks...

Lawrence
LawrenceHare is offline Find More Posts by LawrenceHare
Old Nov 18, 2003, 07:42 AM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Thanks Joedy - but the poll is bad!

The poll isn't a good one because it won't let me vote for "all of the above".

Thanks, and keep 'em coming.

Rob Glover
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Old Nov 18, 2003, 07:59 AM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Thanks Joedy - but the poll is bad!

The poll isn't a good one because it won't let me vote for "all of the above".

Thanks, and keep 'em coming.

Rob Glover
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:40 AM
USA, MD, Bethesda
Joined Nov 2001
480 Posts
Hi Joedy, you mention Multiplex User Groups and I ran a search on this forum and Google but came up blank. Do you know of some Multiplex listservers or web forums?

Thanks - keep the lessons coming, good stuff.

Lawrence
Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:57 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
One thing that has fioxed me, and now is explained, is the use of the term 'mixer'.

It sounds like there is confusion between the global mixer templates and the actual use of the mixer as defined for a particular model

Can you clarify something - uising the 'template' term. Is this actually a suite of mixing functions so that e.g. I could set up a global template that incorporates flap-to-elevator and throttle to elevator and rudder (and or aileron) mixing for a scale plane, where I want to counteract trim changes due to throttle and flap use?

Would this be one template, or two? Can you apply more than one template to a model?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:57 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Lawrence,

Check out the topica listserver. Here's the website address

http://www.topica.com/lists/clubprofi/

The rcgroups.com site is much more active, but the topica has a lot of good Multiplex information.

-joedy
Last edited by Joedy; Nov 18, 2003 at 10:01 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:37 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vintage1
One thing that has fioxed me, and now is explained, is the use of the term 'mixer'.
It sounds like there is confusion between the global mixer templates and the actual use of the mixer as defined for a particular model
Can you clarify something - uising the 'template' term. Is this actually a suite of mixing functions so that e.g. I could set up a global template that incorporates flap-to-elevator and throttle to elevator and rudder (and or aileron) mixing for a scale plane, where I want to counteract trim changes due to throttle and flap use?
Would this be one template, or two? Can you apply more than one template to a model?
Beware terminology!!! In the Evo a template is a property of a model. Every model has a template assigned to it, the template is a collection of switch and servo assignments. Servos may be assigned to a mixer in the template but templates say nothing about the mixers themselves.

All Evo mixers are global. You are well used to global mixers from every other radio, such as the delta mixer, vtail mixer and so on. You would call a delta mixer into a particular model, the delta mixer already has controls and servos and curves defined at the factory, and in that model memory you set the directions and travel values. The overall definition of the delta mixer remains outside any particular model memory. But where other radios also have user-mixers that are defined within a particular memory as well as holding the travel values in that memory, the Evo does not, it makes you define all user-mixers globally as well, so if you make a mixer once, it is available to all models, it is not specific to that model. Only the relevant travel values for that model are held in that particular model memory. The other difference is that for all other radios, the definition of global factory defined mixers such as delta mixer, is fixed. The Evo allows you to alter the definitions (controls, curves) as much as you want, and of course you get to assign the servos you want instead of them being factory set.

Every servo is assigned by you, so if you want every servo can be assigned to a different mixer, many servos may be assigned to one mixer, but each servo may only be assigned to one not to many mixers.

The example you give will require two mixers since you are looking to have two different servo functions at the output. The elevator servo will be assigned to a mixer that has at least elevator, flap and throttle as inputs, the rudder servo to a mixer that has at least rudder and throttle as inputs.

You are just going to have to take our word for this - you can not buy a better radio, unless you buy a Multiplex Profi 4000, so stop putting off the inevitable and tell 'er indoors you know what you want for Christmas, and it would save so much money coz it's half the price of a Futaba 8+1Z - women like that bit.

H
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Last edited by HarryC; Nov 18, 2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:32 PM
USA, MD, Bethesda
Joined Nov 2001
480 Posts
But if I understand the issue correctly, although my mixers are global and the same mixer may be applied to different models, WITHIN the CONTEXT of ANY GIVEN model I can a) turn off specific inputs so they are never used and, b) apply model-specific values to mixer inputs.

In other words, I have a fairly complete template which, like a box of paints, can paint many pictures while constrained to the colors (colours) in the box, but I can have a dead simple two-color picture, or nice involved ones using ALL the colors. And for each picture I can use different amounts of each color if I want. I can paint the same picutre different times with less of one color, more of another, and so on. But the box remains the same for each picture, the same template.

And in my RE 9 I have fourteen boxes of which the colors in five have been given to me, I can determine the content of the other nine.

I can change any box though but then all the pictures that are already painted with those boxes would change, hmmm - here the metaphore comes a cropper.

What I CANNOT do is assign different mixer values for flight phases and I cannot assign the values to digiwheels. But the values may change across models.

Am I right?

Wish my RE would hurry up...

Lawrence
Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:56 PM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LawrenceHare
But if I understand the issue correctly, although my mixers are global and the same mixer may be applied to different models, WITHIN the CONTEXT of ANY GIVEN model I can a) turn off specific inputs so they are never used and, b) apply model-specific values to mixer inputs.

What I CANNOT do is assign different mixer values for flight phases and I cannot assign the values to digiwheels. But the values may change across models.

Am I right?
1. Yes, a) you set the values within each model, so unused control inputs would be set to off in that model, you don't need to use all the inputs. Hence my phrase about having "at least" X and Y controls as inputs. b) the values are specific to that model memory.

2. Correct, values are not specific to each phase. Incorrect, you can assign mixer values to digiwheels, that is the whole point of them, to allow you to set up the mixer in flight.

H
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Nov 18, 2003, 02:07 PM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HarryC
1. Yes, a) you set the values within each model, so unused control inputs would be set to off in that model, you don't need to use all the inputs. Hence my phrase about having "at least" X and Y controls as inputs. b) the values are specific to that model memory.
H
A good example that brings this to light is the standard "V-tail+" mixer that MPX provides with the EVO.

It contains the following control inputs:

Elevator
Rudder
Spoiler
Flap
Thr - Tr

You can use this mixer with a handlaunch with a v-tail even if you don't need the spoiler, flap or throttle functions.

You'd just give servo travel values for the rudder and elevator and leave the other control inputs to "OFF" (dashes).

Lawrence,

I think that I follow (and agree with) your paint-box example with the exceptions that Harry has already noted.

-joedy
Old Nov 18, 2003, 02:20 PM
USA, MD, Bethesda
Joined Nov 2001
480 Posts
Ah, thanks Harry. I missed this in the manual, in fact perhaps I missed it 'cos it is missing! I just looked at the rather tatty thing again. There is discussion in 10.2.2 which makes the general statement that "Only those parameters with numeric values can be assigned. However, there are a few exceptions" and it does NOT limit itself to any particular display. It DOES however state in the discussion, which shows a "Control" example display for Aileron, that only the values that have the high-set hyphen are assignable.

HA HA - And now I see it, what I took for a dash in the Mixer display, between the name and the first column of values, is a high-set hyphen.

Boy, I keep reading this thing and KEEP finding new information.

Thanks again - Lawrence
Old Nov 19, 2003, 04:59 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HarryC

You are just going to have to take our word for this - you can not buy a better radio, unless you buy a Multiplex Profi 4000, so stop putting off the inevitable and tell 'er indoors you know what you want for Christmas, and it would save so much money coz it's half the price of a Futaba 8+1Z - women like that bit.
H
I know that it sounds a wee bit pompous, but once you get to know the EVO and successfully master MPX's programming approach, you will be very hard pressed to return to your former aisian radio (AR).

I had my JR8103 for a while and I still needed to keep the manual handy since I could never quite remember how to do certain things (like when to hold down two buttons and turn on the radio). If you want to see glider pilots go bonkers, just ask them how to program the left axis stick for spoilers or crow functions AND to use that same stick for motor control. It's possible, but it's not easy or intuitive. You can pretty much give up on the idea of setting certain widgets to fit your flying style with an AR.

Yeah, the EVO looks kind of plain and without many flashy knobs. It doesn't come in a titanium case. It doesn't balance your checkbook, maintain your daily schedule, cause your hair to grow back or even give you a better chance with the ladies. What it does, though, is fly your planes and fly them well.

There are very few scenarios that the EVO cannot handle. I would hazard a guess that about 98% of the typical flyers out there do not have flying situations or planes that require such abilities. Those remaining 2% percent probably already have a Profi 4000 anyway.

-joedy
Last edited by Joedy; Nov 19, 2003 at 05:01 AM.
Closed Thread