HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:53 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,603 Posts
I know that method is used in creating panel lines on a plug. A little worried about weight buildup but hopefully it wouldn't be too bad. This porker is over 30 lbs now so.........
Thanks guys, I may try that on the stab and see how it goes.

J

PS - Nice work Chad
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
A little worried about weight buildup but hopefully it wouldn't be too bad.
J, it is only necessary to spray primer over the tapes and maybe half an inch or so either side. Then you sand the primer back down to reveal the tape and feather the outer edges into the finish. The result is a very narrow build up of primer on either side of the tape and I doubt the weight build up would be any more than if you left the tapes in place. Shouldn't be of any consequence on a model the size of this one I wouldn't think. I'm sure whatever you decide it's going to look fantastic. Keep on truckin'!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,790 Posts
John

I did my entire T28 fuse with both raised overlap panels and the flush fit taped panels using no more than 4 fluid ounces of primer. Most of that was wet sanded off.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,453 Posts
Hey John, I'm also in the process of adding panel lines and wowplanes rivets to a FMS Corsair that I'd like to have done by SEFF. I was going to use the tape and primer method of putting on the lines.
Gotta admit that I'll be using alot less of both than you.

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:36 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,603 Posts
Thanks guys

Back in the shop today. I've wanted to try that on a fuselage mold if I ever get to the point that I wanted to do a conventional mold. Should have tried it on the cowl molds. I might as well work on the technique on the 119. I'll see what I can work up on it today.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,790 Posts
One thing to watch out for is the amount of primer that you use. My first go at the tape and primer was a disaster. I used a touch up gun along with a quality 2k primer. So I lay a couple of coats and think..... not much buildup. So I do several more coats. After cure I begin to wet sand... and sand... and sand! Holy crap! I could not see the tape. After a half hour and failure I switched to using my airbrush and sprayed thinner coats. About four passes and its just right for the panel lines and about six to seven for the raised overlapping panels (see pic for both).

I found a pack of 3/8" colored electrical tape at Lowes. I use this for the raised hatches and overlaps. The tape is perfect thickness at around 0.010" and forms perfectly. Comes off with no residue or issues.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:37 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,603 Posts
Thanks Ace,
I'm testing the technique on one of the cowls now. I'll keep that in mind.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:53 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
I use electrical tape and spot putty or evercoat for making overlapped panels. The electrical tape allows for wet sanding the putty without disentegrating in the process. Once again all that is left is a few thousandths of an inch of filler and the weight build up is negligible. Primer works too but I think spot putty provides a more durable edge to the overlapped panels. My .02 cents anyway. The difficult part of this process is just figuring out what order in which to proceed with application of the panels and then building up on the correct side of the tape!

Here they are on my Harvard.

Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:22 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,603 Posts
Very nice work Chad.
I have some thin vinyl sheet stock that I plan on using for access panels. I can stick it on, build up around and remove for a recessed panel or cut a negative and build up inside for a raised panel.

Meanwhile back at the ranch I tried the cowl panel lines. Came out pretty good. Need to go to the auto supply and resupply my primer. Ace was right, it builds faster than you can tell. Sort of a learning curve.
I have the second cowl ready to wet sand and the stab is getting it's coats of primer. People, we have created a lot more work before I can paint. No turning back now.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:51 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Looks pretty good J! Did you by chance take a before and after weight. With this smaller piece, it may not be possible to catch a difference, but just curious.
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,790 Posts
Looking really nice John. I had never done them before. After seeing the outcome I'm doing it on all my plugs for moulds. If you do any rivets I found the yellow tight bond to be superior to Elmer's white glue. I can handle the plug with no issues along with lots of waxing etc. When I used the white glue I lost a couple of rivets. The TB glue also rounds out better so very few raisins.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:08 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,603 Posts
Nope, didn't weigh it Hawk. But there isn't enough primer on there to matter. Besides, this thing at 30 lbs flew like a 10 lb model.

I doubt if I do any rivets Ace. At 1/12th scale they would be so small it would be very difficult I think to get them small enough.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:44 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,603 Posts
Work continues on the panel lines. I'm keeping them pretty simple otherwise she won't get painted for the next Vegas much less SEFF.
The stab panel lines are done. I'm not doing any panel lines on the bottom, you would have to be an eagle to spot them on a flyby. And I don't plan on turning this beast over anytime soon.
Gotta go........ more lines to do.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:40 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,603 Posts
Middle section is done. Working on the outer wing panels now. Will finish them in the morning and then start on the fuse.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
427 Posts
Zebra.... Now that is an interesting camo pattern
jpt62 is online now Find More Posts by jpt62