HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Just what caliber battery was that incoming round?

Looking great John

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,616 Posts
Thanks John
I think it was of the 3s-2200 caliper.

OK, this is probably overkill but just looks cool. The wire antenna from the front fuse to the port vertical. Hard to get good pics of it. Mounted on a spring inside the canopy area, runs up through a small hollow brass tube( securely mounted!) and then clips on the vertical loop.
Pull tension at the brass tube, stretch back and engage the hook to the loop. When breaking the plane down, simply disengage the hook and pull all the excess back inside the front fuse for storage.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,057 Posts
not overkill ,,, these little things that you find neat !!! ... most of us and even unR/C people do too !!!!
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:37 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
not overkill ,,, these little things that you find neat !!! ... most of us and even unR/C people do too !!!!
Yeah, I like the details. Makes the models "pop" in my view.

The damned bolt mounting holes have been driving me crazy. Wanted to come up with something to take your eye away from an empty hole. I found a pic of a gunship with a couple of blade antennas back along the fuse. So I used EPP foam( for it's crush ability and memory) to make a plug. Used a bolt through it so I can compress the foam to make it fit tight. A couple of blade antennas glued on top and it's done. I think it looks better than an empty hole. A little paint and it should look decent.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:10 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,521 Posts
How do you NOT consider your work Top Gun worthy?
KenP is offline Find More Posts by KenP
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Jan 2003
3,057 Posts
What a great idea on the bolt hole covers ...

although I would put a littler square like the bigger one already on there ,, on the bottom of the antenna to completely cover the hole ,, so as to not see the foam or circle outline ....but I get to nit picky ,, to the point of not being able to finish some of my models
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP View Post
How do you NOT consider your work Top Gun worthy?
Because of things like v22 just posted. I don't sweat the small stuff, just want to build these and see them fly. That's where I get my kicks so I take short cuts in the process. I cannot even fathom taking 3000 hours to build and finish a plane. I have way too many that I want to build to spend that much time on one. Heck, I have a lot more time in this one than my usual build. But it flew so well and looked so good in the air that I deemed it worthy to spend the time to get it done right.

v22
I think once the paint is on, you probably won't even notice those plugs. Which is the whole point.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,024 Posts
Well from what I have seen since this blog was started you have put a lot of the little details that most people over look into this plane. It may very well do great at Top Gun. And coming from another R/C addict, its a beautiful plane J.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,043 Posts
yeah Top Gun Team scale with C/N flying take a bit to get invited does'nt it ....not sure but they used to have to qualify for them.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,457 Posts
J, no such thing as overkill. Just another eye catching detail to be noticed.

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,618 Posts
Looking good! Can't wait for paint.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jan 2003
3,057 Posts
You are right J and besides they are so much better than just the large holes ... who cares about a little circle line mark Get that paint on and lets go fly it again
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:59 AM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Heck, I have a lot more time in this one than my usual build. But it flew so well and looked so good in the air that I deemed it worthy to spend the time to get it done right.

J
Good Morning John,

I have watched this thread from the very beginning and I must say "My compliments to the Chef!"

The Captian of the 2 in Anchorage told me that of the many aircraft he has flown, the $-19 is his all time favorite to fly. It was designed to do a job and it does it very well. He said it is a dream to fly even fully loaded, unfortunately it got a bad rap when the Forestry Service tried to use it for fighting forest fires. They were forcing it to do a job it was not designed for. I am sure you can see why it was used for the Stinger just by the way you talk about your baby. It is one rock solid flying platform that is also very forgiving when treated with respect.

I have to ask, were the flaps used at all during take off or landing?

Terry
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,616 Posts
Thanks guys

Terry,
If the real one flies as well as this one, I can understand why that pilot loves it like he does.
Nut deployed the flaps at altitude to test them out and there was almost no pitch change. I do believe he used them landing but not taking off. Only problem we had with it is at 30 lbs it does not want to slow down on rollout. That is why we had the gear collapse, Nut was "S"ing to bleed off speed before it ran off the end of the runway and one of my mounting beams delaminated. I've fixed that problem since with bolts and blind nuts. It was a weak point that I built in that needed to be changed.
She flies good, that is for sure.
Presently fixing blemishes in the middle section in prepping for paint. I expect to start painting right after the Turkey holidays.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,406 Posts
Have you given any thought to putting brakes on it? I built a Top Flight T-34 Mentor and put brakes on it as our runway is 300 ft. Now it doesn't matter if I touch down at mid field I can stop before hitting the end of the runway. Plus the cool factor, taxi out, line up on the center line, apply the brakes and run up the power.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster