HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:48 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
Thanks deuce!

Dave,
I talked to my buddy who is a electronics guru last night. Believe we have the flashing problem worked out. I'll try it today and post what I did. Looks to be a simple fix.
I get these worked out and she might make a really good night flier at SEFF next year.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
OK, lights are fixed. My buddy told me to remove the flashing light connectors from the control box and test that all the rest still worked. Luckily I had bought two of these sets so I could use the second set to test. I removed the WF lights and all still worked. With that good I continued following his instructions. I had the two flashing lights going down the port boom so I fished the red wingtip light wires out of the wing in the nacelle opening. I cut the wires to the WF lights shorter and soldered both positive wires from them into the positive wire from the red wingtip light. Same with the negative lead.
Hooked it all up again and tested. Everything is fine now and the WF lights burn solid. Now I have to make lens for several of them.
Of course it wasn't w/o some drama. I wound up pulling the port red wingtip light into the wing about 1" and have to fish it back out or just remove and re-run it. But that's a simple thing.
Pics show the lights working and then I turned the shop lights off for a couple of pics. Did someone say night flier??? Cool!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,334 Posts
Squeeze that shutter - don't jerk it! Like basic training all over again!!

LOL!!

Hillbille
hillbille is offline Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
503 Posts
and here I always thought one should caress it...
maybe John had it out on a night mission and they were taking incoming...
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
I know Bill. Im a lot better pulling a trigger than pushing a shutter button.

jt,
I thought the same thing. Sort reminds me of the time lapse pic of the Stinger firing from its orbit.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:08 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
283 Posts
Hey J, I may be late to party but have you thought about laser pointers angled down for night OPs. and then do a time lapse photo. Well it might work.....Don
Low Show is offline Find More Posts by Low Show
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:25 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
Hey Don,
Cool idea but frankly there is NO way that I'm letting this puppy out to play at night. I'll bet your idea would work though.
Any movement on your Spad?

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:39 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
Just finished hooking up the micro switch on the landing lights. I actually did it yesterday but had them reversed so I had to turn the switch around. Now it works: gear down= Landing lights on, gear up= Landing lights off.
Only bad thing is there is a mess of wiring in the fuse. I'm sure it could have been done neater but ...........
So the lights are done and moving on the the lenses.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,064 Posts
I have mine connected to a receiver controlled switch which is about a half inch square. I then mix the light channel to my gear. I also have it so another switch will over ride and turn them on weather gear up or down. For my models without retracts I mix it to the flap channel.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
Lots of ways to skin a cat huh Ace. I went the old school down and dirty. Not the prettiest of setups but it works well.

Working on more details. The Jantrol heaters had their stacks on top. My tech advisor sent me pics and mentioned this:

"John, I wondered why I was seeing 9 exhaust "stacks" (5 forward short ones and 4 taller ones behind those) on the Fuselage ??? Of the 5 lower, forward exhaust stacks, I think the center one is the APP exhaust and of course the other four are for the heaters."

I used the old plunge method to make the scoops and a silicone mold for the four stacks. I'm just finishing casting the final stack. Need to use up my silicone, it's getting some age and thickening up making it really hard to get the air bubbles out of it.

Starting to run out of details, paint won't be too far down the road.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:08 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
503 Posts
the devils in the details eh John?? Your expert know the fire control specs on the 119? Wonder if they were even close to what the AC130 does. They say the 130 can place a round in every sq ft on a football field.. dont sound like a great place to be hiding eh?
jt
jpt62 is offline Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:30 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
Love the details jt.
He wasn't on the gunships. FE on the regular 119s. He knows them inside out, I can attest to that. And yes, I would hate to be anywhere in the vicinity of where these guys were firing.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Hey Don,
Cool idea but frankly there is NO way that I'm letting this puppy out to play at night. I'll bet your idea would work though.
Any movement on your Spad?

J
Uh yeah, I moved it back to Wilmington, missed the Flying Buds and the lease was up in Raleigh so me and the Bride of 30 years said let's go home, she has all of her "Peeps" here in Wilmington and she has really embraced this whole airplane thing, I think it started when we went to the FAC Museum in Ft. Worth. She is now calling the F-105 is her all time favorite, it must be the girlish Coke Bottle fuse, she was in awe standing in the Bomb Bay and looking at all of the wires and tubes.When we got home I pulled up the pics of yours and it was love at first site, I'll be back on the A1 next month, thanks for asking and keep doing it it's a way to keeping a boot in the pants. Take care, Don
Low Show is offline Find More Posts by Low Show
Last edited by Low Show; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:45 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
Can't wait for you to start working on it Don. I'll be watching. I was really pleased at how well mine flew right off the board. And it's only 1/8th scale, yours will be awesome.
If you get it done and bring it to SEFF, it may inspire me to build a bigger one, I love A-1s!!!
My 105 is hanging over me watching the 119 take shape.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,571 Posts
Finished up the exhausts stacks. Also masked off the landing light lens and added the shield that kept the light from hurting night vision.
The wings are basically ready for paint now after a little sanding and cleaning.
Also fixed Woody's on the leading edge.

J
RCG Plus Member