HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:42 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,196 Posts
I'll just form some 0.03 plastic for the clear covers.
Miniguns? After setting all these lights up, I doubt I have the stomach for any more.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
444 Posts
My spelling is very bad and I here you on the lights was just an idea
Anyway thanks for the info, looking forward to more updates
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Lights look great John!! she's gona' be a real beauty when done.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:04 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,196 Posts
No problem Pinky

Hey Andy,
Thanks. I just thought I was about done with the lights. I forgot the connections from the wings to the control panel. So I have four more "strings" to set up before I can try them. If they don't turn on when I flip the switch I'm not sure what I will do. I'm using a set of RC Lander lights from Nitroplanes and extending all the wires on them.
I had a doc appt today, dentist tomorrow. Getting old is really cutting into my hobby time.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,196 Posts
Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The RC Gods smiled down upon the 119 today.
Finally finished the lighting system. Plugged it in and turned on the two switches.
WE HAVE LIGHTS!!!!!
Only problem is the two lights on the port tail boom. The RC Lander system had all I wanted except these two flash. They aren't supposed to flash on the 119. Also the bottom one is supposed to be amber colored. I can fix that easily with a colored lens but as far as the flashing, don't know. There is no info as to what voltage these run at so to replace them would be a guess. I may just leave them flashing.
There is a red flashing on the port vertical fin and also one on the bottom of the fuse( didn't get a pic of it). Those are correct. Landing lights are really strong, red and green wingtip lights look strong too.
Only downside is the mess of wiring I have. I could probably buy some conn blocks and simplify it but that's a lot of work too. May just leave it the way it is and fight it later if it becomes a problem.
Didn't take time to make room to put the wings on level so I just hung them and hooked up the lights to test.
But they work good and I'm a happy camper, it was a lot more work that I thought it would be. I think I ran about 60' of wire to extend all these.
Still need lenses for the red flashing lights, wingtip lights, landing lights, and the tail boom lights. I'll be using Sparky's excellent sheet of blank clear lenses for some of them.
I need to think through the landing lights, need to figure a micro switch where they will turn off when the gear goes up. I think I can place it on the gear switch servo, at least I hope so.
And then next is the work on the blemishes on the middle section and some more details there.
But I have a dental appt today so it will be delayed a bit.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:40 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
I can just about imagine the amount of effort it took to get these lights installed, and you did AFTER the plane was built!! They look great!!
I put lights in a 96" Turbo Beaver ONCE, have not felt inclined to do it again, and was done before the sheeting went on.
You 119 ill be or is the envy of multitudes of flyers. Superb! Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,614 Posts
SHHHWEEEEET................

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,212 Posts
Way to go J looking great!

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
444 Posts
Perdy need a dusk flit vid now

Is this the right system? Review I read said they have "adjustable pot for the flashing rate" could this also turn flashing off??
http://www.nitroplanes.com/rcsyc2.html
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,493 Posts
John, did the 119 use lights during a mission? I'm thinking that the AC-130 ran in the dark during a mission. The bad guys didn't shoot much if they couldn't see you and there wasn't too much high tech on the Trail.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:22 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,196 Posts
Thanks Doug, Woody, Bruce
Appreciate it. It was a lot of work, mostly the extending of the leads. All those little wires soldered up and the connectors were a real pain in the butt.

Pinky,
That is the set I bought. Just read the reviews and noticed the adjustable pot item. I'll have to check that. It is a nice set of lights for a really cheap price.

Tony,
I'm pretty sure they didn't run any lights in the AO but these are set up just like the Stingers. The 119 also had NINE formation lights on top! Sort of a pale bluish white color. I'll try to duplicate them with paint. They did not have strobes, my advisor told me that.
Hopefully I can get some work done this weekend.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:56 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Man o man,,, lights retracts retract doors,,, well we all know what's coming next, just a matter of time...... Looks great John!
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:22 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,196 Posts
Thanks Walt but no, you're wrong. No EDF in my future and I can see way out there!!!!!!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,284 Posts
Looks really good John

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:08 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Does the led module support more than one led for each port ? in this case... simply connect the tail led's in parallel with the others (Y cable), and you have a non-flashing led
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave