HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Moving right along there John!!! Such a cool project! Well,, here it comes again with this, yet a bigger plane yet,,,,, gona have to go to a bigger trailllllerrrrrrr w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:23 PM
Brian
United States, SC, Pelzer
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
resin/layers

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post

Then work the corners with microfibers/resin mix because you'll never get that sharp corner with glass. The I put small patches of 3/4 glass over the corners and then small patches of 3 oz glass over them too, build up the corners. One layer of 3/4 cloth over the entire piece for a smooth inside finish and you are ready for heavy cloth for the rest of the layup. It takes a lot of heavy glass to build up the strength to be able to pull pieces from the molds. My molds ar about 1/8" thick.

J
J,

It doesn't look like you wait for each layer of resin/glass to cure before applying the next layer, .... or do you?

Brian
cobrajockey is offline Find More Posts by cobrajockey
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,470 Posts
Great tutorial on constructing a fuselage from fiberglass. Thank you very much for posing it. One question. What adhesive did you use to laminate the 2" blue foam for the fuselage blank?

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:30 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,574 Posts
Nope Walt,
Not a bigger trailer, just fewer planes.

Brian,
Once you start laying glass you don't stop. Epoxy doesn't like to stick to cured epoxy. If you had stopped to let one layer cure then you would have the sand the heck out of it in order to make the next layer stick. It can be very intensive because once you start, there is no stopping until you're done.

Thanks Larry,
I used 3M to laminate the blank but it didn't do very well. The stresses in the foam wanted to split the pieces apart and I wound up slipping some epoxy into a few places. It was such a big foam blank that I hated to use epoxy, it would have taken a whole set of 9 oz tubes.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,450 Posts
Hey Walt, all he has to do is load the models into the back of this thing and just fly 'em around.

J, man, those props are shhweeet.

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Jul 20, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Thanks Larry,
I used 3M to laminate the blank but it didn't do very well. The stresses in the foam wanted to split the pieces apart and I wound up slipping some epoxy into a few places. It was such a big foam blank that I hated to use epoxy, it would have taken a whole set of 9 oz tubes.
J
I have used regular white glue for this seemed to work well, I was not using hot wire so I don't no how that will work but its cheep. Down side the cure time is about 8hrs so if you have the time... If you find it a bit thick to spread out you can thin it with a bit of water and mix well. I'm a firm believer in testing before hand so take some scrap and try it.

looking grate as always J
Pinky_d_brain is online now Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Last edited by Pinky_d_brain; Jul 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:42 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,574 Posts
Thanks Woody,
Yes, those props are sweet. I'm planning on getting a video of the A-1 during a taxi test. Prop looks pretty cool on it.

Pinky,
Not sure how white glue would work for laminating blue foam blocks. It dries through evaporation and no much air gets in those blocks with about 50 lbs stacked on them. And if very thick I think the hot wire would struggle and stick on it. And 8 hrs cure time? .... I only put up with that with epoxy resin.
I have a dentist appt today and going to Fedex to ship out Fuse # 2. Been working on the rear door buildup. I'll post some pics tomorrow of progress.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,613 Posts
White gorilla glue works well for laminating blocks of pink foam.

Apply GG, spread around with an old credit card scraping off all you can. Moisten the mating side with damp rag and clamp together. You can hot wire through the GG easily if it's applied thinly. Only takes a hour or so to set up.

Moistening the other side is important to make the GG foam up and become fluffy enough to hot wire and sand.

I usually hot wire off the factory "skin" first. That's usually too dense to sand without raising a line at the joint. Removing that skin releases some of the tension in the foam and flattens it for a better joint.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:38 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Man, I must have been napping, six pages before I found this thread. To late to say "off we go" cause we already went. I'll just have to blame it on the slow internet connection I get up here in the NC mountains. Another great build J.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,574 Posts
Fuse # 2 has left the building! Fedexed off and the next time I see it I hope it is a complete airplane.
Hope to finish at least one set of rear doors tomorrow too.

Pat,
White GG would work fine for laminating foam blocks. My problem is the moment I place the last section on the blank, I'm ready to hot wire. It's an instant gratification thing with me. Why wait when you can do it right now. That's why I used the 3M 77 contact adhesive. It did the job but just barely.

Thanks John,
You were napping, that's why you missed it. I know because the guys at SEFF have proof!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:21 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,824 Posts
those molded parts turned out great!!!!!! awesome work as normal!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,048 Posts
BG J, this plane is cool...!! I love to see the progress and pictures from your shop!!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,574 Posts
Thanks Nut

Thank you Hans. I hope I have this ready for our trip to Vegas.

I've been working on the rear doors trying to get the proper fit so they will close tightly. Not an easy proposition. I tried glassed 1/4" balsa first, doesn't look that great, pretty rough. Tough to get clean holes in it even though I masked both sides before drilling. Once they were tacked glued in I wasn't happy with the fit.
So I changed to styrene on the other doors. Much easier to get clean holes but the fit came out even worse. Even though I made sure the internal structures were exactly the same, the doors came out just a little off. Maybe I am inducing a little warp when gluing. I'm going to try one more thing before I take a break from them and move on the the wings. I have an idea that may work, we'll see.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,023 Posts
awesome! this project is moving along nicely
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More design issues
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hope your new idea works John,,, what your trying to do there I know is really difficult! Good luck ! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg