Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
19,990 Posts
nice ...great to see im not the only one with a well organized building bench like John...its the only way to build ...if you stop and clean it you waste too much time ...as it only takes about 10 mins on the next step of the build ..and the table looks just like it did before you cleaned it.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,592 Posts
Wow... just, wow. Wish I could see it in person.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:13 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,584 Posts
Thanks guys

It is messy Walt, usually is. I need a couple of days just to clean this wreck before Hans gets here. That or provide him with a Hazmat suit.
And you are right Roger, I can clean that bench and 15 min later I have every tool sitting on it scattered around. I'm lucky if I have a 8" square area in front of my chair to work on. Old habits die hard, it will probably never change.
I haven't gotten a close weight on it yet but it's pretty damned heavy. I'm going to guess 22 lbs put we will see.
Still LOTS of cosmetic work to do but that will all come after she flies. No sense in wasting time on it before the maiden. I'll have plenty of time once I return from Vegas to finish and paint her.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,913 Posts
J it sure does look good sitting together . I hope we get some picks once you get it all packed up with the others for the drive . I hope Hans is good at puzzles .
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
OKAY WOW J you've out done yourself this time she really looks fantastic!
I notice it's so big your having a hard time getting the whole thing in the photos.
Good luck with the maiden I hope she flies as well as she looks.
It's really going to be a show stopper when you put the finishing touches to her.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:24 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,815 Posts
When and where exactly is "Vegas" that you speak of? Could I fly into KLAS and rent a car to drive there?
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:16 AM
AMA 884978
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepdog View Post
When and where exactly is "Vegas" that you speak of? Could I fly into KLAS and rent a car to drive there?
Ace-In-The-Hole all electric event held annually in Las Vegas Nevada in the month of October - was formally "Superfly". Held at "Bennett Field" just north of UNLV Boyd Stadium.

http://www.vegasaceinthehole.com/

You could just get a flight into Las Vegas and rent a car, Rooms are still cheap there too!!

J brings some of the best planes at the meet!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:12 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,584 Posts
We'll get some loading pics. Hans is a great loader, must be that German engineering.

Thanks Bruce,
Appreciate it.

You should come Hep, be nice to meet up after all these years.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,048 Posts
J, it's a beautyful and super cool looking 119!! I'll do my very best to help packing and help to get us in good conditions to Vegas and back to Chapell Hill, TN, starting in 178 hours to drive to Hannover,(HAJ), Germany. The plane will be in Nashville, a bit earlier, at 12:40 PM. (Only 1 hour in DTW, that doesn't sound good for my luggage)

6 Oct 2012, Delta 3660, Delta-Connection-Pinnacle Airlines,
Detroit-Wayne County (DTW), 12:01 pm, Nashville (BNA), 12:40 pm.
So we've got some time to clean your shop together. That's more fun!!

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,584 Posts
Thanks Hans
I'll be there to pick you up! Glad to have the help with the loading. Maybe I'll have the shop cleaned up enough that you won't need to help with that. It really isn't that much fun.

Worked on the AN/AAD-4 FLIR turret. This is the infrared radar. And yes, that is a Xmas ornament that I used for a plug. Got lucky, it moved in the box and I just barely had enough clearance for the mold to work.
Next up, CG and batt placement.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:57 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
19,990 Posts
man it is really coming alive ....we have a real old 119 sitt'n on the old drag strip here at Edwards ....it's the narrow runway that the vert takeoff planes used way back in the day .....been sitting there at least 20 + yrs that i've here.maybe i'll take a drive over there this eveing .when i was a kid i'd see one flying over the house somtimes ....very easy to see one and say ...yep a flying boxcar.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,416 Posts
OK, I know you talked about building bigger planes but I sorta thought you would stay at the Skyray/Cutlass size. This one looks like it will be bigger. You are either going to need a bigger trailer or your going to have to limit what you take to events. Are you planning on strapping Hans to the roof? I am not sure you're going to have room for him!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,815 Posts
Just a little help - If I stay in a hotel on the strip (package deal is cheaper $$$) is it a reasonable drive to the event?
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:40 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepdog View Post
Just a little help - If I stay in a hotel on the strip (package deal is cheaper $$$) is it a reasonable drive to the event?
Google says its a 21 minute drive down flamingo road . I'd say pretty straight forward
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor