SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,202 Posts
This is my first experience with pneumatics and SpringAirs. They do look like a quality product and I've heard a lot of good things about them. Using 1/2" Robart struts. If you go with the 1/2" struts, don't buy ProLite wheels. They won't support the 1/4" axles. I bought 6 Prolites wheels and just ordered 6 more wheels from HK. Hope they get here faster than batteries do.
When I get it up and working I'll try to get a video of it.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,133 Posts
J you must be do to try one of these in one of your builds
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,202 Posts
There was a Canadian outfit selling those at SEFF last year. They had some good sounding stuff. I think I'll pass on it right now. Maybe down the line.
I've been working on the main gear retracts, I'll have progress pics tomorrow. It's going better than expected at least. But then I had low expectations.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:12 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,882 Posts
sometimes air powered is easier than electric, as long as there is no leaks lol. spring airs are definately the easiest to install, and their quality is really high
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:00 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,224 Posts
Fantastic build J just waiting to see the finish

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,202 Posts
I'm pretty impressed with them so far. It takes me forever, measuring 50 times, fitting 50 times, running them up and down 50 times........yada yada yada. Mounting the first one now, pics later today.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
656 Posts
John, Your builds are absolutely amazing! and thank you for the answer on hinges I read the banter about the time spent building and the cost savings vs kits. As far as im concerned time is not money when it comes to a hobby that we enjoy. If a person spends 7 days a week in the shop or 1 evening a week in the shop it doesnt matter as long as they are enjoying that time. I am realatively new to scratch building and I will say I love every minute of it. I am lucky in the fact that I work as a firefighter, have for close to 20 years, so I have alot of time off. I wish I would have discovered the satisfaction of building along time ago. All of the time off I waisted sitting at the local watering hole, talking to the same people about the same things I could have been in my shop doing something that I enjoy....scratch building planes! That is what I do now Keep up the great work, it is truly inspiring, and most of all have fun doing it! Greg (Lt599)
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,202 Posts
Sad news to report. My scroll saw has finally given up the ghost I think. This time the spring loaded plunger broke inside the top cylinder. It has pressed on fittings each end. Not sure I can get in there to fix it. This saw was purchased by my father in 1953!!!!!!! Yep, it is 60 years old!!!!!!! Still runs like a sewing machine but might be done now. I have a new Craftsman my wife got me for Xmas years ago but it's a pain to slip the blade out for inside cuts. My old had a thumbscrew, do it in seconds.
RIP my old friend.
So one main is in and working. Not your typical install where you bury a couple of spars in the wing to distribute the load for the beams that hold the retract unit. This one is suspended inside the nacelle. I'm sure there are better ways to do this but here is how I did it.
I located two tall spars, embedded them in the wing. Front one sits right on the wing tube socket. With the alum tube in there that should give a great base for it. Then I added a couple of reinforcement pieces that are glued in the wing and onto the sides of the nacelles. I made beams out of an old piece of hard ply I had, laminated two pieces together to mount the unit to. My friend suggested I build a little jig so I could operate the unit with the hand pump. Sure is a good thing I did, helped immensely. Must have used my little jig a hundred times in adjusting. Had to cut out the rear of the door section. That's what happens when you cut them out w/o having the units here. I glued the that section back on to the doors and added a couple of stops for the doors to close upon. The door seams are a little rough and need cleaned up but the bottom eventually will be painted gloss black so not sure if you will even be able to see them.
I also changed the door servo locations, they were on the end and trying to induce a warp in the doors. I cut off one side of a hinge and mounted it and the servos to a more central location. Work better now.
So it's now on to #2, I made templates form this one so hopefully it will go quicker.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:46 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Coming right along there John, looking good. Are you sure that piece on your saw cant be fixed???? Bet it can be, or a new one made! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,555 Posts
Looks great, I like the extra rigging around the strut.

Poor saw..there is a show on TV called American restoration that is filmed in Las Vegas..Ricks Restorations. Would be cool to bring the saw with you and have them restore it to new while your at the event, and get on the show Pick it up on your way out of town..

http://www.ricksrestorations.com/
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Sep 14, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,202 Posts
Maybe Walt. I'll take it to a machine shop and have them look at it. Regardless, it will stay in the shop till I'm gone.

Thanks Andy,
I've seen that show. May have to try that.
The structure was of course made by my buddy. He did a great job with a standoff style structure that is simple but effective. It just gives that sort of 119 gear look to it. Makes it a bit more complicated to install, making sure it all clears etc but worth the effort.
#2 is going much faster. I expect to finish it early in the morning.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,699 Posts
That's a smart way to do the gear.

What are the struts made of? That piece near the retract unit where the struts attach looks like an aluminum casting.

I assume you've seen videos of the real gear in action. It looks fiendishly complex.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,647 Posts
gear looking good ,yeah i dig the brace struts on there ...where'd you get those ? yeah fix that saw ...and will it to C/N ...he still does'nt have one yet
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,202 Posts
My buddy is a smart guy Pat.
That cross piece at the top of the strut was designed by him but made at the machine shop. He then used alum tubes to complete it. That is a Robart 1/2" strut that it bolts onto. The real gear on the 119 looks like a nightmare to design and build but it has been done. Here's a video of a beautiful unit by Martino Sergio off drawings by Paul Stelly. Amazing work. You can see how complex the gear operation is. Paul was kind enough to send me the drawings but it is just too far beyond my machining ability. (Read that as filing a flat on a shaft as far as ability) My friend made our work easy and we have a sort of standoff 119 gear. I think it will look good on the tarmac.

C-119 Retracts 1/10 Scale Martina Sergio (1 min 28 sec)

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,202 Posts
Both mains are mounted, moving to the nose gear.

J
RCG Plus Member