HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:32 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,011 Posts
Thanks Bruce but I leave all the hotel rooms to Sam's Town.

AS,
Thanks. But to be honest, I have to say once again, if my buddy hadn't laid up these gorgeous nacelles/booms for me, this thing would not be at Vegas. Just a whole lot of work he saved me.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:09 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,011 Posts
BUSTED!!!!!
My tech advisor caught an error on the cockpit side windows. The rear one was just a tad too short. Wound up to be about .75 cm. I stand corrected and so it the 119. Nice to have him looking over my shoulder.
In my defense, I traced straight off the Palmer plan and it is incorrect.

The gear will arrive soon, no sense it not being ready for it. I hadn't cut the nose doors in yet so did that this morning. Now everyone knows I'm not a big gear guy and my method probably isn't the best but it is what I have come up with so far. Methods are always evolving but this is quick and simple.
If you remember I laid up extra mat'l for all the doors. That was cut to size and the middle marked on it. I used a diamond cut off wheel to cut the middle to separate the doors except..... I left them together at each end and a small place in the middle.
Laid them on the proper position on the fuse and marked it. Then cut out the fuse.
Tape the doors solid to the fuse making sure you have an even space all around.
Turn the fuse over and locate the hinges. I use vaseline to lube the hinges and it keeps CA from freezing them up. Dont' ask. Outline with pencil and place some CA inside the pencil marks, place the hinges, spray with accelerator and they are done. Flip the fuse over and remove the tape, cut out the small places on each end and the middle. PRESTO! Operating doors. They're not perfect but who is going to pick up a 20 lb model and check them??? That's the easy part. Next will be servo installation......... that is ALWAYS the difficult part for me.
But someone has to do it, right?

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:31 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
BUSTED!!!!!
My tech advisor caught an error on the cockpit side windows. The rear one was just a tad too short. Wound up to be about .75 cm. I stand corrected and so it the 119. Nice to have him looking over my shoulder.
In my defense, I traced straight off the Palmer plan and it is incorrect.

The gear will arrive soon, no sense it not being ready for it. I hadn't cut the nose doors in yet so did that this morning. Now everyone knows I'm not a big gear guy and my method probably isn't the best but it is what I have come up with so far. Methods are always evolving but this is quick and simple.
If you remember I laid up extra mat'l for all the doors. That was cut to size and the middle marked on it. I used a diamond cut off wheel to cut the middle to separate the doors except..... I left them together at each end and a small place in the middle.
Laid them on the proper position on the fuse and marked it. Then cut out the fuse.
Tape the doors solid to the fuse making sure you have an even space all around.
Turn the fuse over and locate the hinges. I use vaseline to lube the hinges and it keeps CA from freezing them up. Dont' ask. Outline with pencil and place some CA inside the pencil marks, place the hinges, spray with accelerator and they are done. Flip the fuse over and remove the tape, cut out the small places on each end and the middle. PRESTO! Operating doors. They're not perfect but who is going to pick up a 20 lb model and check them??? That's the easy part. Next will be servo installation......... that is ALWAYS the difficult part for me.
But someone has to do it, right?

J
Where did you get those soooo cool hinges????????

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:43 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post

DAG
Hi DAG,

They are available from many places, here are a couple;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8407
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8434

They even exist with springs to keep them open (allowing you to use string to close the gear doors):
http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...9&cat=0&page=1

These spring loaded ones don't have push-rod slots but if you combine the two you can have best of both worlds.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:44 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post

DAG
http://sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php?cat=321
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:54 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,011 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.

dag,
I got mine from HK. There are a lot of cool things on HKs site if you have time to browse.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,477 Posts
nicely done! im going to start calling you the doormaster lol.

i need to subcontract you to help finish my 1/4 scale T-38 lol. i dont know if its going to make vegas, but i sure as hell am going to try!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:42 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,011 Posts
I might be available after Vegas and I get done detailing this ship.
Heck, bring it static if nothing else so we can all see it. I can't wait to see Andy's!
That big trailer of yours will handle it.

Installing servos and running wiring today, pics later.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Doors look great John, What a plane..wow!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:53 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,724 Posts
Thanks all for the hinge info guys.

You can tell I don't get out much.....

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:47 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,011 Posts
Thanks Andy,
It's a big plane but pales in comparison of your T-38!

Working all day on getting all the things that need done before the gear gets here because it will be all consuming when it arrives. Running wiring from the rudders and elevator, installing those servos and the inner flaps. Really don't have much to show but did accomplish a lot an d expect to have servos operating tomorrow.
The middle section/booms is actually pretty easy to work on, it will set well right side up, upside down, or on the front straight up in the air. Sure helps having gravity in running those long leads.
I did use button head screws on all the door hinges, just don't trust CA that much.
More progress tomorrow. I may even hook up the nose gear door servos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:21 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Hey John, a little off topic, but in the last picture you posted, there is a wing on edge in the background. Are those actual retractable gear, or just painted on? I have never seen you use LG before, but those sure look real in the background!

Awesome job on the build! I envy both your skill at building and the time you have to build. Keep up the great work!
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,011 Posts
My, my Hawk, you have been gone awhile. That wing is the A-1 Skyraider. Yup, rotating retracts. It was my last build and will be attempting a maiden at Vegas too.
But you missed the B-24, A-26 & DO-335 , all had retracts. You have some catching up to do my friend.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:45 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,657 Posts
J, We ALL have a lot to do to catch up to you! You are a building machine. Looks just great. Every angle shows me something new.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,006 Posts
!!!WOOOW!!!

Looking great - even better than usual John!
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member