HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:51 AM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
473 Posts
Man that thing is looking big and the wings & other boom are not even on it yet
Looks like you need a camera tripod, one you can just move the center up and down with a foam bracket on top to hold the boom
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Last edited by Pinky_d_brain; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:16 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,040 Posts
VERY.... Kewl....

Great stuff......

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:44 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,703 Posts
Thanks Paul

Not a bad idea pinky but honestly my books and paraphernalia are doing a pretty good job.

Thanks dag,
You're 36 is coming along too. Can't imagine how many hours you have in that awesome build. Not sure I would have the patience for it. If my builds go over 90 days I tend lose my mojo.

I did a lot of studying pictures last night and found I didn't have enough depth in my initial cuts. I would not have the proper depth of turtledeck over the wings on the nacelles. So I cut an add'l 1/4" out of the starboard airfoils on the boom and adjusted the upward angle of the boom( too much to begin with). After that it looked much better.
So the first boom took most of yesterday to set up. The other boom took about 45 minutes this morning. But I learned a lot yesterday. I squared both booms up side by side and then used a sharpened wire to scribe the airfoil line onto the port boom. Then changed sides and did it again. Once I had that done, the dremel did the rest.
Set both of them up and squared everything. The booms are level at the back, I used a level on it, both verticals are good, it all looks much better with both on. Only problem is that I missed the proper height on the inside airfoil cut and have about a 1/4" gap between the nacelle and the wing. No problem, it gets a fillet anyway so I can fill that in.
Now I have to set up the horizontal stab, cut it to fit, cut the elev free and hinge it. then run wires for the rudders and elev servos before anything can be permanently glued. And yes, it will take some time.
Haven't cut the doors out yet, that will be done right before gluing the booms to the middle section. And yes, I am so not looking forward to the gear doors. Anyone who follows my threads know that I would rather have a root canal.
Sorry, it's really hard to get decent pics in the shop due to the size of it.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:00 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,742 Posts
oh man thats awesome!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks really good John! w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
Man that is awesome!!!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,163 Posts
Fantastic work thats going to look sweet when its all together
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
Looks like the extra cold ones did the trick!

Great job!
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,703 Posts
Thanks guys

That's right Jeremy, the extra cold one could not have hurt.

OK, you would think that with all the jigging and rigging up with this beast that the simple flat horizontal stab would be easy, right? Of course not silly! After fitting the stab I cut the elev out and am right now facing all those beautiful angled surfaces.
Just another thing to slow me down. And the wiring will be a bear too after I set the elev servos, it gets two HS-225MG like the rudders.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:26 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
John, couldn't you just hold off on the stab until the booms are mounted and then take the incidence off the wing to set it? w.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
Quick question:
Are the booms and stab going to be removeable for transport?

Thanks,
Amos
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:47 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,322 Posts
That Hori . stab is bigger then most wings i build
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,703 Posts
Walt, I will hold off setting the stab but I need to get it all done and ready because there is a maze of wiring that goes in before I can set the stab in there. They have to run from twin servos all the way up the booms into the wing and from there into the fuse. I should just run them straight into the fuse from the elev and call them antennas!

Amos,
Nope. The wing middle section and booms will be a complete structure. But it will fit in my trailer, barely.

Wilfor,
The stab has ~ 240 sq in of WA.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:33 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,703 Posts
Now I know when Walt saw those very small and fragile ends on the hor stab that he worried about me breaking the off. Now you know I wouldn't do that. But of course I did. And I was being so careful. I glued some small pieces of 1/8" ply in there to strengthen them. Hopefully they will last until I can get them glued on the booms.
The elev and stab are all balsa capped and ready to be hinged. Now I need to install the servos and wiring. Once that is done I will be able to glue the booms on for good. One pic shows the plastic tubes for the rudder and elev wires. I'll have to determine the exact position of the stab make entrances for the wires and some sideways formers to hold the stab. yeah, sideways, I'll explain that later.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Well that stab and elevator looks good even though it has been bashed and re-glued!! I chalk that up to either trying to be like me,,, or,,, to many of those adult cold beverages w