HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:06 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Yeah, I'm starting a fleugzeug ( or whatever that is???). I like to call it a HUGE F-16 pusher.
May start a thread today on it.
Happy New Year to all!

J
Roughly translates to "Aircraft"...

And I'm sorry, it's Flugzeug...

Look forward to seeing it; H-J flew the wings off the other one!

Happy New Year to all !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:55 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,357 Posts
We translate that to aircraft....but direct translation is fly thing
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:25 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,316 Posts
Got the 5s-5000 batts in and ready to test on the A-1 with 4 bladed props but our weather is horrible. Rain everyday. At least it isn't snow. I'll be testing as soon as I can get outside.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:31 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Looking forward to your tests on the 5s with those 4 bladers!! I know testing inside the house with these sizes can be a reall no no. I once tied my plane to a post in the basement, let her rip. It blew dust, plans and planes all over. When it came time to test a 23/10 on 12s, I definitely knew it would be outside. Fantastic build, the detail is way beyond anything I'm capable of or want to do. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:39 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,316 Posts
I hear you Doug. With the dust in my shop, if I tried testing inside it would plug up the furnace filter. I once tested a lower power system than this inside and the collet adapter gave up the ghost. Pretty scary having a prop flying across the room eating everything in its path!

Sun finally came to this part of the country this afternoon. I charged up one of the new packs, will run the test tomorrow and post results.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:04 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,316 Posts
Well, the prop drama continues. The Stinger motors are the same as in the A-1. So I used the A-1 to test the 5s packs with the Biela 16x8 props.
Fired up and was getting 1150 watts @ 61A and I wasn't quite 3/4 throttle. I didn't see any sense on stressing the motor anymore and never ran up to full throttle.
I had thought I had tried 4s with this system( the 4 blade props) but just to be sure I charged up a 4s-5000 and tried it.
The 4s gave 905 watts at 65A full throttle. So it looks like I need a 4 1/2 cell setup.
I am sure that the A-1 would fly fine with that setup, it had plenty of power but still it is losing about 30% of the 6s and two blade system.
I have two ways to go. One, fly them on two blade props on 6s and use the 4 bladed ones for static display, they fly fantastic and really, why spoil a good thing.
Or swap out motors for a lower KV and get those pesky amps down so I can use 5s or 6s with the four bladed props. Scratching my head right now. At least I have plenty of time to decide.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:42 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2012
482 Posts
By the look of things it would seem you didn't spin her up in the shop..
jt
otoh it looks like a dandy way of cleaning it out eh?
jpt62 is online now Find More Posts by jpt62
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:28 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,170 Posts
J if i get a vote i'd say bite the bullet and swap motors . Youve made it look so good that it deserves to fly around on the 4 blades .... Thinking about this i dont know why i'm posting . We all know your OC should kick in
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:45 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,316 Posts
Nope, no running in the shop jp.

Wilfor,
You're probably right. I'm thinking about changing motors. Wouldn't be much trouble at all if I stay with the Turnigys. The 4 blade props do look bad a$$.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:01 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,034 Posts
i say leave them for static, the model had great power, and good flight times on 2 blades. the 4 bladers, while awesome looking, are going to kill that, even if you go with lower kv.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:03 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,034 Posts
even when you get the watts the same as the 2 blade, the model wont ahve hardly any pitch speed, and it will fly really slow. remember A-26 take 1? when i did the big 4 blade on my p_51, i had to go from about 1000w to about 1800W to get the same performance.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:05 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,316 Posts
Hey Nut,
You know, I woke up this morning thinking the same thing. Both planes exceeded my expectations in their flight regimen. I do like the " if it aint broke, don't fix it" philosophy.
Guess I'll have to figure what to do with the two new 5s-5000 batts, new build just for them or sell them. I don't have anything that can use them.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:10 AM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
Why not use them for your upcoming F-7F build?
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:14 AM
Noob with Issues
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Jul 2011
1,003 Posts
just build a giant slow stick and put them on it!!
crash74 is offline Find More Posts by crash74
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:57 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Hi J Please remind us (me) what specific motors you are testing! I'm interested in seeing the KV, motor brand, weight.
If you have enough pitch on your 4 bladers to attain airspeeds suitable, remember the power will only be there if you need it! With two batteries the amp load will only be there if you use it. Just thinking out loud!! Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley