HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:27 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
I dunno, it could be Brent,

I just found 'em online, but don't remember what websites...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and look forward to seeing you at next year's AITH !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:19 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Not only is it a 6S in the link but also to the International warehouse not the US warehouse!!!!

John, great work, so inspirational. You raise the bar with every new build, but you gone and put the bar on top of Mt Everest this time. For me a least!!
Thank you for showing us all you tips and tricks!

LURCH
Thanks Lurch
I hadn't checked that link since I already knew what I had ordered. At least I can use those 6s packs on another build so they won't be wasted. Just wish we would get some mild weather so I can get the middle section sealed and finish this build up.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,926 Posts
Hi John... Where do you purchase your clear canopy/window plastics from. From what I've seen it seems very expensive. I need to vacuform a bunch of canopies.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,053 Posts
http://www.iplasticsupply.com/

This is where I get mine Ace. I usually buy a ton of it when I order because the shipping eats you up otherwise. Not sure if they are the cheapest but they do give good service and have about anything plastic that you would want.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Where do you purchase your clear canopy/window plastics from. From what I've seen it seems very expensive. I need to vacuform a bunch of canopies.
Ace, I get my PETG from a local company that does industrial vacuum forming. They are willing to sell me pretty much any amount that I need and give it to me at their cost which, as you might imagine, is much cheaper than the hobby or craft outlets. I also get styrene from a local sign shop that sells me their cut-offs for next to nothing. Unfortunately they don't use much clear stuff. There are also several large suppliers here in town such as Curbel and GE Polymer Shapes but they all have minimum orders of $100 or more so these other sources are a real blessing. Might be worth your time to check around if you live anywhere near a moderately large city.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Hi John... Where do you purchase your clear canopy/window plastics from. From what I've seen it seems very expensive. I need to vacuform a bunch of canopies.
Might want to check on Tripp Plastics in Reno. Warren Tripp, the owner and founder, is also a past RC guy himself, not sure of he flies anymore but I used to fly RC with him around 2001/2002. Could save you shipping if they have what you are looking for.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,073 Posts
By the way.... ketchup bottles are made of petg...and empty bottles can be heated and used for small objects....
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:33 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,926 Posts
Thanks to all on the plastics info.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
that first pic looks kinda like hill afb....
Good morning there Nut,

They are the 2 $-19's parked in Anchorage. I recognize the emblem on the lower window, it is on N1394N. Letting the cat out of the bag, the Captian is my brother.

Fairchild C-119F Flying Boxcar (5 min 3 sec)
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
J. M., thanks for the vid of the Stinger. I noticed at 2:19 that the ammo had a blue coating on the round's projectile. Can someone tell me, is that the hardened depleted uranium color? They would be a fully armor piercing round if so.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbrewer View Post
J. M., thanks for the vid of the Stinger. I noticed at 2:19 that the ammo had a blue coating on the round's projectile. Can someone tell me, is that the hardened depleted uranium color? They would be a fully armor piercing round if so.
Hi BB,

I might be missing what you are looking at as at 2:19 shows an electrical junction box and the blue coated thingy in the pic is an electrical conector, at least as far as I can see. However as I understand these things any ordenance that is blue or has a blue stripe around it would be inert or a dummy. You may have seen aircraft carrying blue bombs a missle with a blue stripe. The bombs would be filled with concrete instead of HE and the missles wouldn't have a warhead. Not too sure if the missles would have rocket motors and avionics in them or not (perhaps someone knows more about this). My guess is that if you saw a 20mm round that was blue that it would be an intert or non-explosive round.

my $0.02 anyway

Rob
rmcdicken is offline Find More Posts by rmcdicken
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rob,

Take a look at the ammo coming out of the gun when it stops firing. The rounds have a blue color.

Terry
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:39 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,703 Posts
As Rob said, those are dummy rounds. If they were live rounds the blue colored projectile would be on its way to the ground through the gun's barrel instead of being ejected along with the empty live round casings. The dummy rounds are usually used to test the gun's feed and drive mechanisms without actually firing the gun. In the video I'm not really sure why they mixed dummy rounds with live rounds. Maybe it was to slow down the rate of fire to conserve ammunition.

Edit: just watched the video again and my guess is that the dummy rounds marked the end of the ammunition feed. i.e. the gun is empty.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Last edited by Lnagel; Dec 28, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbrewer View Post
Thanks for the reply Rob,

Take a look at the ammo coming out of the gun when it stops firing. The rounds have a blue color.

Terry
Sorry Terry!

When I first went back to the video I just advanced it to what I thought was the part you mentioned. Must have gone just a hair past 2:19 where the video switches to the next scene.......Totally skipped past the scene of the casing ejector chute!

I just watched it again and plainly see the blue rounds you are talking about.

Cheers!
Rob
rmcdicken is offline Find More Posts by rmcdicken
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,053 Posts
Looks like HK has figured a better way to ship batts other than through Denmark or Sweden.
Just tracked my batts and they went through Anchorage to Nashville and are scheduled for delivery Monday. They shipped on Xmas Eve so that's a hell of a lot better than my last order that took three weeks through Sweden.
Plan is to check the four bladed prop on 5s-5000s. I can do this with my A-1 Skyraider, same batt, same prop, same motor.

J
RCG Plus Member