HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,054 Posts
Build Log
AC-119K Stinger based on Palmer plans

Although I have a few planes that qualify for this forum I've never done a build thread here. Thought this forum would be a good fit for this build.
When the Spooky's graduated from C-47s to the AC-130 gunship, the military found that they were sadly lacking enough Herks to do the job. So the venerable old C-119 Flying Boxcar were thrown in to take up the slack until more 130s were available. They were converted into G & K models. The G ,called Shadow, was mainly used support of troops in contact while the K model was a hunter killer used very effectively along the Trail as a truck killer.
I had run across an old plastic model by Aurora of the C-119G at a swap meet and picked it up for a song. I've always like the looks of the Boxcar and had built a plastic model of it as a kid. Now I decided I wanted an R/C model of it.
I talked to a good friend about it and we decided to both build one and share the work load. So we looked around for plans and about all we could find were the Palmer plans at a 109" ws. But I like large models so that was great. Price wasn't so much, pretty pricey plans but think of the hours it saves you from making your own.
My friend prefers to remain anonymous, I'm sure some of you know who it is but please, no guessing and I will just refer to him as friend. He prefers it that way and I want to respect that. I certainly don't want to take credit for all the work he is doing on this build.
So let's get started. First, I was a balsa builder for many, many years but now prefer foam and fiberglass. The plans are naturally for a balsa type build so we are using them mainly for dimensions.
The plan is to make a FG fuse, FG tail booms and hot wired foam wings. Retracts, flaps, opening rear clamshell doors, etc. We split the jobs up, "friend" is doing the tail booms and hot wiring the wings plus providing me blanks to do the cowls. I'll be building two FG fuselages, FG nose cone, FG rear doors, FG cowls. My plan is to try to have it ready for maiden in Vegas in October.
I did the fuse the way I do most of my FG fuses. I use what I like to call the "lost foam w/o losing the foam" method. I make a foam plug and then glass the outside. Unlike using a mold, you have to finish the glass on the outside. I started by laminating a bunch of 2" foam blanks together. That is one big chunk of foam! Then I trace the top and side outlines on the blank and hot wire it. I had to build a largerr vertical cutter, the blank was too big for my original. Once the squarish blank is developed it needs to be carved and sanded to shape. A really messy job but someone has to do it.
I'll try to include lots of pics, it saves me from typing os much.... not my favorite thing. And besides, everyone loves pics.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:00 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
awesome! gonna keep am eye on this.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,776 Posts
Pure concentrated awesome.

There's nothing like the feeling of watching a funky uneven brick of odd foam get sanded into a smooth clean fuselage shape, eh? It energizes you for the rest of the build.

I always loved those vietnam-era transports like the 119 or the C-123. I will be enjoying this.
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:12 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,658 Posts
subbed.
Willsonman is online now Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
424 Posts

Just trying to learn me sum, starting to feel like a stalker fallowing J around
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:24 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,054 Posts
Thanks guys,
Now where was I?
Shaping and sanding continued. I built a new larger stand for this one. It allows you to rotate the plug to any position and lock it in place. Impossible to glass if you don't have one of these or something similar. It also is invaluable when sanding spackle and finishing the glass at the end of the process.
After the plug was shaped and sanded smooth, I spackled it and then sanded it smooth once more. Then it was time for glass. Used 2 layers of 3/4 oz glass/resin.
Once the epoxy cured I gave the plug a coat of poly/baby powder and once again sanded it smooth.
The plug was then ready for a glass fuse lay up.
I gave the plug 3 coats of wax and then 3 light coats of PVA. Let it dry about an hour and started glassing. Sounds like a pretty quick job doesn't it? I laid it up with 4 layers of 3 oz glass for an overall 12 oz weight lay up. It took right at 4 hours to lay up. My feet were killing me by the time I finished. And this was just Fuse # 1!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Cool ! I was assigned to the (attack cargo) AC-119s w/the 4th Special Operations Wing in Vietnam 69-70
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
Cool ! I was assigned to the (attack cargo) AC-119s w/the 4th Special Operations Wing in Vietnam 69-70
Hope you enjoy the build. Pretty cool that you have experience with the dollar nineteen! Thanks for your service too.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Hope you enjoy the build. Pretty cool that you have experience with the dollar nineteen! Thanks for your service too.

J
Thanks.I'll post some pix later of some South East Asia fixed winged gunships that I was assigned to.Maybe they will help U in paint jobs .
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
USA, NJ, Burlington
Joined Sep 2004
65 Posts
Thanks John.

I donít know about the other poor working slobs, but I could not go through many more lunch hours with out seeing some progress/ pictures/ something to inspire me to break out my airbrush and try to mimic your amazing efforts.

Respect fully submitted.
theborg is online now Find More Posts by theborg
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:43 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Colors faded over time,but they might help you some.Phan Rang AFB(last pix.) was the home base for all fixed wing gunships in South East Asia.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Nov 2008
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theborg View Post
Thanks John.

I donít know about the other poor working slobs, but I could not go through many more lunch hours with out seeing some progress/ pictures/ something to inspire me to break out my airbrush and try to mimic your amazing efforts.

Respect fully submitted.
Every couple of days I run a search against "J Morgan" for threads started. Woo hoo! I got a hit. Looks like school is back in session!

J Morgan, REALLY slick "rotisserie" you've built. I'll be keeping this in mind for the future.
j32driver is offline Find More Posts by j32driver
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
What can I say,,,,, S W E E T!!!! John, this will be another great build and your off to a flying start! That is ONE BIG BIG BIG DUDE!!!!!! Man, this will be a super interesting build! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Wow, another great build John!!!! I hope to see it in Vegas.

Andy
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,518 Posts
Great build log, John. I wonder, sometimes, if you put in as much thought to the "blog" as you do the actual build. Thank you for all of your efforts. It is such a great learning experience.

Dennis
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino