HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
Dornbirn / Austria
Joined Mar 2008
641 Posts
Discussion
Talon V2 or F450 Frame?

Hi there,

I'm building a new quadrocopter with a new hobbyking HD wing camera II to do some FPV..

I've read that the F450 is much better than the Talon V2 frame, is this true, and do you recommend it? I thought it is more stable, and has nice features (centerplate) so it might be worth it.

Other questions I'm thinking about are:

- Is this NAZA board worth it? I wanted to use the Hobbyking KK2, I think it is suitable enough for FPV and quite stable
- What about a stabilizer for the camera?
- What HK motors+props do you recommend?

Would be very helpful if anyone could give me some advice!

Thanks,
Christoph
solars is offline Find More Posts by solars
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
I ordered the Talon v2 frame. I haven't received it yet but I'm hoping it's good. The F450 is another nice frame. Slightly smaller i think as the talon v2 is 550. The Talon v2 frame has round arm so I don't know yet if that will be harder to straighten to the center plate. I also read that when the Talon v2 crashes the arms might turn. Thats why I wanted something with square arm but I really like the Talon v2 look. I guess you'll be good either way. You could always buy both!
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
I'm getting the KK2 board as my first quad board. turnigy D2830 1100kv motors. Hobbyking f30a escs 10 inch props.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2011
114 Posts
The Naza board is definitely worth it! I was able to fly my F450 and Naza on my first try. It hovered very smoothly and gave me the confidence to fly. I tried the HK board first and I never got it to fly at all. It would just rotate or just slam on one side. I tried everything to get it right that it just frustrated me. I tried the Naza and wow I was hovering on my first flight. Get the Naza, you won't regret it.
Paltik.45acp is offline Find More Posts by Paltik.45acp
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:18 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
I've read before about having issues with the Talon frame with the the round booms and the motor mounts wanting to turn on them despite tightening everything down. Couldn't tell you how true it is as I don't own the Talon frame But I personally opted for the X525 frame on my first build just for the sake of having square booms, although I'm not very happy with the flimsy feeling motor mounts with the X525 frame kit...
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:30 AM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
I ordered the Talon v2 frame. I haven't received it yet but I'm hoping it's good. The F450 is another nice frame. Slightly smaller i think as the talon v2 is 550. The Talon v2 frame has round arm so I don't know yet if that will be harder to straighten to the center plate. I also read that when the Talon v2 crashes the arms might turn. Thats why I wanted something with square arm but I really like the Talon v2 look. I guess you'll be good either way. You could always buy both!
I also like the look of the Talon V2, its very sleek and getting the wire inside the Carbon Tubes will give it a neat finish.

Also it might be worth putting a small screw in this little hole to stop the arm twisting from the motor end.

Thats my plan anyway.
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
What set up did you order for the Talon V2? and have you worked out how much its going to weigh?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:07 AM
Dornbirn / Austria
Joined Mar 2008
641 Posts
hey, thanks for the input!

I don't really need the NAZA for stability, I'm fine flying the very basic HK board with only 3 gyros, so that won't be a problem.

So I think I will go for the basic one, and later find one of the better boards with more sensors. There's also the german Mikrokopter board which is quite nice.

Comparing the size, the Talon is lighter... on the other hand the F450 has this nice centerplate with mounting option.... quite hard to decide
solars is offline Find More Posts by solars
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:38 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH33ZEBURG3R View Post
What set up did you order for the Talon V2? and have you worked out how much its going to weigh?
I haven't add up all the weight but I'm sure its fine, im using:

Turnigy D2830/11 1000kv motors
HobbyKing 30A ESCs
10x6 props 10x4.5 props and I gonna try 10x4.6 Slowflyers and/or 9" Slowflyers
Turnigy 3300 25~50C battery
HK Power board
KK2.0 board
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
I haven't add up all the weight but I'm sure its fine, im using:

Turnigy D2830/11 1000kv motors
HobbyKing 30A ESCs
10x6 props 10x4.5 props and I gonna try 10x4.6 Slowflyers and/or 9" Slowflyers
Turnigy 3300 25~50C battery
HK Power board
KK2.0 board
Yeah i'm gonna go for the 2830 1130kv Turnigy Aerodrives and the 25A Plush ESC's now, iv'e just added everything i need into the cart and it's just short of $400 39 items all in, it'll be like Christmas come early

Some of it is on Back Order though but i can wait
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:20 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
Did you buy heat shrinks and connectors? Battery charger and power supply for it? Extra length wire? ESCs programmer? What rx tx are you gonna use?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Did you buy heat shrinks and connectors? Battery charger and power supply for it? Extra length wire? ESCs programmer? What rx tx are you gonna use?
Yeah i have loads of heat shrink but i bought more of it and i also have some wire but i got some extra as it always comes in handy,ESC Programmer i got too and i already have the Turnigy Accucel 6
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

and i bought a 15v charger from ebay for it as well and a cigarette lighter adapter so i can charge when i'm out in the car.

And i have gone for this - Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 1) (v2 Firmware)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html
not in stock mind
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
64 Posts
My first quad was a KK, X525 ,DT750.
Everything about it sucked so bad ,especially the crashes.

Ordered a F450 "clone" with NAZA moved all the components to it and i am very happy.
PsyQuad is offline Find More Posts by PsyQuad
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
It's a job...
United States, PA, Warrington
Joined May 2012
1,186 Posts
I have a talon V2 on the way from HK. My first quad. Well I do have a ladybird I'm learning to fly with but the V2 is going to be my first quad build.

Here's is the setup:
Talon V2
HK KK2
NTM 2826-1200
Turnigy Plush 25a ESC
3s 2200mah
Props - 8045 SF

This setup is almost identical to the video below. Only difference are the ESCs. As you can see by this video, this setup appears more than capable to carry some fpv gear. That's my plan with the V2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtj8gXNBCpA
747Pilot is offline Find More Posts by 747Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 747Pilot; Jul 13, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH33ZEBURG3R View Post
And i have gone for this - Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 1) (v2 Firmware)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html
not in stock mind
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html

The USA warehouse has mode 2 in stock. Are you in the USA? I think you can switch the mode too