HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
Photos of 90% Ultimate for IPS Dual

Hi Foamies,

Here's my latest effort on the Foamie front. It's loosely based on Tim Hart's Ultimate Bipe, scaled to 90% to better suit the IPS Dual drive. At this scale the wing chord looked worryingly small, so I increased it to 160mm (6 1/4"). It's all 3mm Depron, coloured with Sharpie pens.

I wanted someting that would hide the gear and look a little better than a profile model, so I simply cut two fuse sides and spaced them one E-Tec width apart with Depron bulkheads. A bit more work, but worth it for the better looks. I used 0.4 x 2mm carbon flat top and bottom of both wings.

690mm (27") span
160mm (6 1/4") chord
30mm (1 1/4") aileron chord
IPS Dual B, 1180 GWS prop
2 x 1200 E-Tecs
3 x no name 5g servos.
Jeti Rex 5 RX
247g (8.7 oz) AUW

On this set up it will hover for most of the pack. It flies really nice indoors, the transition in and out of hover is particularly smooth and drama free. It does nice tight loops and rolls, and flies inverted with almost no down elevator required.

The big surprise is how well it flies outdoors. For it's size it eats up sky, doing big tumbling stuff, but can also be flown right up close. I test flew it on a very windy day (20 mph +), but whilst not much fun it was always in control.

Graham.
Salto is offline Find More Posts by Salto
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
I increased the tail areas a bit, to match the wing chord increase.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
The "canopy" area has 6mm depron bent to the side profile, glued between the 3mm sides, then sanded to a rounded shape. The fuse top in front of the canopy was done by bending 3mm Depron around a broom handle.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:33 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,856 Posts
Hey Salto, great looking plane! What do you mean by IPS Dual? Is it dual ball bearing? Which drive is it (the A, or B, etc)? Good thinking on the use of Sharpie pens. I recently found a silver Sharpie and want to use it to try to simulate panel lines.

foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:40 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2000
3,408 Posts
I believe he means dual motor ips....flies the TM great with lopos.
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
Foamflyer,

I used the IPS dual RXC (7.2V) motors mounted on a B gearbox. See www.gws.com.tw

I used this motor/gearbox/prop combination to keep the current down and the flight time up. The motors draw about 3.4 Amps (total) on 7 Volts so the power is about 24 Watts. I get bored before the pack runs down, and the motors should last forever.

Graham
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:51 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
Some more figures on this model.

Wing loading: 3.7 oz/sq ft. - nice, slow stall
Power loading: 44 Watts/pound - could be better, but still hovers!!
Energy loading: 15.45 Wh/lb - flies forever!!

Graham.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:17 PM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
Congratulations on a great looking plane Salto!
GenesisCreation is offline Find More Posts by GenesisCreation
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:54 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Hey Salto, great looking model! I've been tempted to build something like this for our upcoming winter season, and was wondering if you would be able to give me some more measurements. I know next to nothing about designing biplanes, so I'd like to get some details from a model that clearly works well.

Could you tell me:

- distance from the LE of the bottom wing to the backplate of the spinner
- distance from the TE of the bottom wing to the LE of the horizontal stab
- stab root chord, tip chord, span
- fin root chord, tip chord, span
- sweep of the wings
- separation distance of the wings.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be really grateful!
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old Nov 14, 2003, 06:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
SoarNeck,

Have a look at this link, and download Tim's plans for the Ultimate Bipe
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

I simply printed this plan out at 90% scale. I added 10mm on the LE and TE of both wings, made the aileron chord 30mm, and kept everything else important pretty much the same except the stab and rudder/fin which I scaled up about 20%. I also dropped the balanced tail surfaces because I thought they would be too susceptible to damage. And of course, I made two 3mm fuse sides instead of the single 6mm profile on Tim's plan.

Next build I will take out most, if not all of the sweepback to get rid of the strong yaw to roll coupling, and adjust the wing position to keep the balance right. I guess I'm waiting to see what Tim is doing about this before proceeding. I'd also do balanced tail control surfaces and increase the elevator area some more to get better elevator authority in high alpha manoeuvres.

I hope the above link, plus these comments answer your questions. If you want more info just ask.

Graham
Old Nov 14, 2003, 07:27 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Thanks for the reply - I didn't realize that this was based on an available design. Too much time in the sailplane and High-Performance forums...or is it that RCGroups has too much interesting info on it?
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old Nov 28, 2003, 09:53 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
Awesome!!!
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Feb 10, 2004, 05:35 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Hey Graham.

How does it knife at that weight ?

Michael
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:35 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
Hi Michael,

It knife edges well, I guess because there is plenty of rudder authority and side area (and power). Plus with the biplane configuration and central, zero Deg. thrust line all the thrust and drag forces are nicely aligned.

In level flight the swept back wings produce a strong yaw to roll coupling - the model can be flown on rudder only (no aileron) quite easily. At zero angle of attack on the wings, as in knife edge, this coupling will drop to zero, but the entry to knife edge can be a bit tricky. I usally lift the nose a bit first, then drop in a bit of down elevator as I roll over and enter knife edge. If I don't get it right, the yaw to roll coupling will slowly screw the plane out of knife edge.

Graham.