HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
the face is the harder part to paint ,,,the rest it's easy...and when you are done you spray the all thing with dullcote and done....
amilcar is offline Find More Posts by amilcar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:23 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,060 Posts
Oh, I know...I've done about 4 of them and I can appreciate your work. Lots of layers of paint...acrylic and oils....excellent job man!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
dag 60 build update

ok today i got to work in it ,,im almost done building ,,im waiting for some plywood 1/16 to finish the blades and reinforce the rudder and hinges for the all autogyro .What i did today isi build a cover for the gear box,,,long ago i build a plastic former box (never had the chance to try it until today ,,,so i made a mold in balsa of the piece i want ,got the heat gun, hook up the vacum ,and them place the hot plastic on top of the mold and done ,,,i made a litle hole in the piece because i heat it up to much but i patched it up with epoxi ,then sand it and i save it,,anyway it's goin to get all painted ,,,,i tougth it look clean so i can share the idea ,,,,
im planing on doing with the same technique a cowling but i'll see if it fly first,,.
i want to get it done before the summer is over ,,,
Last edited by amilcar; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,060 Posts
Love the picture with your son! I have a few pictures like that of way back when! Precious!
Joe
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:25 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Hennef (Sieg)
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Hi Amilcar,

really nice Idea with that gearbox cover, looks great!

At the moment Iīm waiting for some materials too, so I donīt really get forward in finishing my DAG.

Your Pilotīs inspired me to work something out for my Tempest, but I wanted to realize it as cheap as possible.

Those Pilot Dummys, I found in the WWW I think are much to expensive.

I had some styrodur left in the basement and after some time of work and lots of sanding dust...

See the pics.

Covered it the first Time with a coat of wood glue and today Iīll sand it for the second Time and then itīll be painted.

Has anybody experience what type of paint can be used!

Idea is to try acrylic paint or tempera, which are both water soluble.

Regards

Markus
Maakus is offline Find More Posts by Maakus
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,060 Posts
Markus....NICE! You sir are an artist!
Joe
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Thanks Jodini,

I made some experiments with several paintings!
And at least a mixture of water, wood glue and tempera paint is working really fine.

After lots of layers the surface becomes really hard covered, and each layer was drying really fast.

The only thing is that it has got a matt surface! But for the first try.

Iīm not yet finished with him, want to get some more detailing,for example the sun shield isnīt the color I want it to be, but for today Iīm happy with it.

Regards

Markus
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
looks really cool ,,really nice,,,i guess you should keep it away from the fuel exhaust rigth?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
yeah i love my son, i hope he likes the hobby as much as i do ,,,you never know ,,,,for now he loves to go to my beisman/shop to play around with the balsa wood, move planes around ,,,when he saw the dag ,,he went crazy,he likes to push it around...
Last edited by amilcar; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Amilcar,

my sonīs totally the same!

He likes pushing around everyting, especially DAG and Tempest!

It seems they both like big wheels.

Concerning the fuel exhaust: "Thatīs why Iīll try to do it electric!"

Regards

Markus
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:21 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
Markus,
Nice pilot!!

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,060 Posts
Our kids and our DAG's!
Here's mine many years ago!
Joe
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
jja ..awesome ,,they look really happy ,,,mine does not talk so far ,,i wonder what he thinks when he's next to the dag twice his side....
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Feb 2010
110 Posts
ok i allways get to this point in the construction of the autogyro ,,,same experience with the dag 2 that it make me want to give up ,,,the blades ....after glueing them on the sig airfold to the 1/8 hard balsa,,,i noticed that they were a litle warp upward ,,so trying to get and straigth to get the cg line from tip to tip its a litle imposible ,,trying to get that blade balanceing on top of a long 46 inches aluminum ruler to make the mark for the mounting holes,,its imposible ,,,so i try to bend one the other way and disaster ,,,the airfold sig part of the blade snap,,,not the 1/8 balsa on the bottom of it, for my surprice,,so ,,i glued it back with elmers glue.,,,.is this goin to work?..
question ,,,,its goin to be a total waste that blade?do i need to make the blade again?im thinking on fiberglass the all blades top and bottom with thin fiberglass...my last question is ... there's some one out there that makes blades for this side gyro like the aerobalsa for the dag r2?
im frustared after all this building ,,make me want to trougth it out the window ...problem i got to much money and time allready into it.....
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Oh Man donīt give up!!! Youīve made a beautiful work so far!!!

Those blades are the most difficult parts onto the gyro, but a challenge to be done!

I donīt really know if your damaged blade sustains the forces in flight!?
Hope the other guys here, who definitely have more experience in this, can give an estimate for this!?

Thinking of your Idea of covering with GF, but there we are again with additional weight!

Why donīt you try to sand your airfoil by yourselve? With a belt sander and some practice itīll work!
The blades for my DAG are made out of one piece of balsa each. After sanding it to the airfoil, adding the piano wire and then balancing (really time consuming but a good feeling when it has be done carefully!!!)

DONīT GIVE UP!!!!!

Regards

Maakus
Last edited by Maakus; Sep 18, 2012 at 01:42 PM.