HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2003, 02:57 PM
Joined Sep 2003
90 Posts
Help!
Miniblade wing repair tips?

Doh! Finally got the guts today to toss the miniblade off the slope, and it was awesome!!! Flew great. Stayed out for about 5 minutes the first toss, and about 10 the second. Each time I was landing it in the brush area of the slope, which was about the best place for it. Third time out though, I seemed to hit a small twig tree with the right wing. Enough to put a gash in the wing! Ouch! Ironically, that was going to be my last landing before heading in! What's the best way to repair a molded wing like this? Keep in mind I haven't done any repairs like this before, so I may need some hand-holding. Or, should I just contact Bob in hopes I can order a new wing half? Here's three pics:

Pic#1 (even my cat looks bummed!)
DaveyDave is offline Find More Posts by DaveyDave
Last edited by DaveyDave; Nov 14, 2003 at 03:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2003, 02:58 PM
Joined Sep 2003
90 Posts
Pic #2
Old Nov 14, 2003, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2003
90 Posts
Pic #3:
Old Nov 14, 2003, 03:07 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,883 Posts
Hello Dave,

One way I've used is to repair it like it was a foam sheeted wing. Cut the area nice and even-- epoxy a small piece of blue or pink foam in it---sand to shape and then cover with light glass. Sand smooth. If you're careful with your shaping and sanding-- the repair can be invisible!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Nov 14, 2003, 03:24 PM
Previously plasmasb...
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jun 2003
509 Posts
Dave, give repairing it a try before you buy a new wing. Unless Bob is able to give you some kind of deal on a wing half its what I would suggest doing. The way I think I would repair that wouldn't be much different from a foam sheeted wing. If anyone else has a better idea go for it though. I would cut the wing out to the point where it isn't damaged anymore and build up the inside of the wing with balsa and CA. Just enough so that you can glue some foam in there. After the foam is in there just sand it to the shape of the airfoil then glass over that. I hope you get it back up and flying soon!

Dustin
Doostin is offline Find More Posts by Doostin
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:47 PM
Magic Bloke!
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Nov 2002
488 Posts
The stuff we swear by is "expanding foam filler" the sort of stuff that is used in the DIY trade to fill around pipes etc in brick work. (You may need to wet the area a bit to get it to foam as models tend to be dry and this stuff works on moisture)

I would get thin balsa 1/32 or to match the original stuff in the wing, and glue this in place over the bottom hole from the inside. Slide a second patch into the top hole and squirt in a bit of expanding foam, and glue the top patch in place. Let the foam cure over night (dont use too much) .

Glass over the balsa using thin cloth. Then sand smooth and fill.

Spray to match the rest of the wing.

This will give you a good solid finish.

Just my ideas! Might work, might not!!

What ever you do post it here cos it would be good to see the end results.

Brett
bsirrell is offline Find More Posts by bsirrell
Old Nov 14, 2003, 07:25 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,883 Posts
Looking closer at your pics it appears that the wing is NOT molded but balsa construction with a carbon spar?? If that is true- cut the area square-- fill with balsa inserts -- than sand back to shape-- cover and your done>
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Nov 14, 2003, 07:59 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,253 Posts
Just FYI, just because it uses balsa doesn't mean it isn't molded. In fact, I think most molded planes you'll find use a balsa wing skin covered with thin glass. The standard issue Sting and Acacia F3F planes are built with skins like this.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:12 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
8,814 Posts
Timmig, most of the smaller moldies are made that way. They use balsa to stiffen the skins up.

here's what I would do to fix it. Cut the opening on the bottom a litte larger that the opening on the top. Make it about 1/2 inch wider on each side. Clean up the edge of the top opening so it is smooth and square. Now get a piece of thick balsa wood and sand it so you can isert it from the bottom to be flush with the top skin. Epoxy that into the wing. Once the glue dries you can fill the top area with micro ballons and resin. Sand it and paint it. On the bottom sand the balsa flush and lay some glass over it. When dry sand it smooth and paint it.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:41 AM
Magic Bloke!
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Nov 2002
488 Posts
Why use a thick piece of basa. Its heavy and it would be better to use thin skins of balsa either side of foam. Foam would have much better properties than wood.
bsirrell is offline Find More Posts by bsirrell
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:03 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
8,814 Posts
Heavy? well compared to foam yea it's heavy but this is a slope plane and most of them are way too light anyway. You could use foam, steel, lead, or whatever. Personal choice really. As long as he gets the jist of how to fix it. I would use would because its strong enough to fix the repair back at least it's original strength, foam is not. That small repair with the balsa, glass, (bondo if desired) glue etc will probably add about an ounce. a few grams of lead tape on the opposite tip to balance it and your flying again. It should not take more than a couple of hours to fix that.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Nov 15, 2003, 01:43 PM
JRL
Joined Sep 2003
10 Posts
While you are making repairs, squirt some of that expanding foam into the wingtips. Makes them more resistant to damage on a less than perfect landing.
JRL is offline Find More Posts by JRL