HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
How to improve firing power of airsoft heng long tanks

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has any idea of how increase firing power of airsoft tanks (heng long) and any other tips to increase accurancy and reduce "missfire".

What are the best BB bullet you find ?
Is it possible, and how to replace - or upgrade the spring in the fire mecanism.
Othor11 is offline Find More Posts by Othor11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:39 PM
afv
uk
Joined May 2008
104 Posts
I have read posts where people used various methods, stretching the spring ( not recomended ), adding a washer behind the spring or using a bb unit from a vs tank but have a look at the link
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_54...ltimate/tm.htm
regards afv.
afv is offline Find More Posts by afv
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Hi, I dont plan to go gas. Just trying to upgrade the actual gears and equipement. Is it possible to change the spring for a stronger ? Il try to compress the spring by putting something behind the spring this week-end.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
afv
uk
Joined May 2008
104 Posts
If memory serves i'm sure there are some posts about strenghtening the airsoft unit but if you stretch the spring or put washers behind it can strip the gears inside the unit, the vs tanks bb unit is supposedly stronger than the stock heng leng unit but i don't think it's a straight swap, i think some members do it by swapping the internal parts
regards afv.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Hi, I have tried a couple of things to improve the distance my tanks can shoot. My brother, who is a pro in any kind of projectiles, told me to lubrificate the canon, so that the distance between the ball and the canon is reduce, giving more power to the airsoft.

I have also seen that different BBs have different performance.

From that site : http://oifveteran.hubpages.com/hub/A...-pretty-colors

"Airsoft BBs are almost always 6mm in diameter, not much selection there. Then it comes to weight, Airsoft BBs start at .12 grams and go as heavy as .36 grams. Save the .12g BBs for your Spring Pistols or low priced, cheap plastic Airsoft guns. Using .12g BBs in metal gear guns is recipe for disaster, plus it will make your gun as accurate as a water balloon launcher. The rest of the BBs weights are personal preference and gun usage. A good starting guideline is a gun that shoots under 300FPS is best served with .20 Gram BBs. Anything that shoots over 300FPS opens up more choices. The heavier the BB, the greater the accuracy at longer ranges. For example, if your using a sniper rifle you should consider .28gram or heavier. For standard field play .23 - .25gram will be fine. Finally, .20 gram will work great in Close Quarters Battle (CQB). Obviously, cost is a factor when choosing your BBs weight. The heavier the Airsoft BB the more they will cost and the more you'll spend on shipping."

So, according to this, and if we consider that airsoft from tank are about 100 fps (this information is to validate, i'm not sure about this), the lighter the BBs, the more distance you can get...

Well, after some try, it happers that the small yellow plastic bbs that came with the tank are more performant then some biodegradable bbs (that are heaviers).

Precision was about 4-5 meters. Which is good. Tiger destroyed a pershing (with 3 hits in a row) at that distance. (Note : there was no wind).

Some problem I still have with my pershing is that some time he does MISSFIRE (1 on 4 shot, approximatly). The bb hit the interior of the end of the canon which make the ball bounce back, and some time obstruate the canon. I'm thinking about cutting of the last end of the canon, but... the problem comes from before the bbs is out.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
afv
uk
Joined May 2008
104 Posts
Isee what you mean on the diagram, i think the problem is the stock heng long barrel is too big on the inside diameter. A member on another forum gave me a tip and that was to go to the diy shed and get a piece of alloy tubing inside diameter 6mm, got a piece a meter long for a few pounds and made another barrel still had to drill the small hole in it about 70mm fromthe bb unit end or it will form a vacuum and the bb won't work. then you can make the barrel any length you want even bring it right out to the end of the muzzel brake. You will need to wrap each end of the barrel with tape so it's just a snug fit in the bb unit and in the barrel because the 6mm tubing i used had a smaller outside diameter than the stock barrel, i used plumbers tape normally called ptfe tape, i'll see if i can find some pictures not sure i still have them because it's been a while since i worked on the tanks.
Last edited by afv; Nov 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
Memphis,Tn.
Joined Mar 2009
153 Posts
Airsoft Jamming

Hi Guys,been of this site for a while but here is some information,part of the jamming problem is the guns breach,if you notice a pellet can be pushed over the plunger and into the space on the far side of the breach.

A piece of plasticard glued into this area will prevent the pellet from occupying this space and that will ensure the pellets roll into the breach.

It works very well,also I HAVE ADDED plasticard pieces into the guide channel in the roof of the TIGER TURRET,this serves to channel the pellets in single file instead of the zig zag alignment they normally follow.

This also helps prevent the pellets from entering the breach to the rear where the plunger tip is occupying the space,and that is how the pellets roll past the breach into the space on the other side.

These two modifications will ensure much better feed rates,also the lubrication idea is a good one as the seal on the airchmber tends to drag and this slows the air pulse down,which slows the charge pressure into the barrel.

Another idea that has worked well for me is the actual barrel,look inside,it is not polished,by polishing to a smooth,and imperfection free bore the result is naturally less resistance and a cleaner straighter trajectory.

These mods are not complicated and will result in a much better firing gun. Soon the airsoft recoiling gun may be available. I have some information on this new system,and will post asap.

Perry S has done some good work here,he was generous to share his work.

Saxondog
SAXONDOG is offline Find More Posts by SAXONDOG
Last edited by SAXONDOG; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
Ladysmith Vancouver Island
Joined Feb 2008
577 Posts
comming from playing airsoft, and being an airsoft "gun doc" .. I realize that the cannons in the RC tanks are different that then rifles and such... but the characteristics are the same

the best thing you can do for anything firing an airsoft projectile is consitancy and a good round... alot of the online "you need this weight for this velocity" is crap plain and simple ..

I regularly use a .28g BB in 300-350fps pistols ... if you shoot outdoors .25 should be the lowest that ever see's your unit

a good straight consistant barrel is more valuable then an uber tightbore ...

I don't know if the tanks use a hop up ... if they don't and you want to see a real improvement.. get/make one that is where all your range and accuracy comes from. its fairly easy to make a 300fps airsoft gun go toe to toe with a 400fps gun... and the 300fps gun will last longer, fire faster ..etc etc... however a 380-400 fps airsoft gun punchs through bush easier.

tokyo marui is a leader in airsoft for range and accuracy ... I would bet it holds similar for the tanks.. if you can get TM cannon parts and use em... do so..

I'm hoping at somepoint to find a group of tank battlers on vancouver island ... then hopefully I can 'justify' picking up and messing with an airsoft tank

oh! as for BB's ... BB bastard, Madbull (just was the residue off them), KSC perfect ....
Reckless is offline Find More Posts by Reckless
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:05 PM
Formerly Blackhawk 1-2A
United States, CA, Concow
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
I do know in airsoft for greater.range, accuracy, and increase in fps, you can install a tight bore barrel (basically its a barrel liner made with tighter specs then would come in a stock airsoft rifle.made by classic army etc) that and going with polished 28gr pellets or maybe find a way to upgrade the hop up? For night fights would be neat to see the hopup light units, and those glow.in the dark pellets
SSG.House is offline Find More Posts by SSG.House
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
Formerly Blackhawk 1-2A
United States, CA, Concow
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
comming from playing airsoft, and being an airsoft "gun doc" .. I realize that the cannons in the RC tanks are different that then rifles and such... but the characteristics are the same

the best thing you can do for anything firing an airsoft projectile is consitancy and a good round... alot of the online "you need this weight for this velocity" is crap plain and simple ..

I regularly use a .28g BB in 300-350fps pistols ... if you shoot outdoors .25 should be the lowest that ever see's your unit

a good straight consistant barrel is more valuable then an uber tightbore ...

I don't know if the tanks use a hop up ... if they don't and you want to see a real improvement.. get/make one that is where all your range and accuracy comes from. its fairly easy to make a 300fps airsoft gun go toe to toe with a 400fps gun... and the 300fps gun will last longer, fire faster ..etc etc... however a 380-400 fps airsoft gun punchs through bush easier.

tokyo marui is a leader in airsoft for range and accuracy ... I would bet it holds similar for the tanks.. if you can get TM cannon parts and use em... do so..

I'm hoping at somepoint to find a group of tank battlers on vancouver island ... then hopefully I can 'justify' picking up and messing with an airsoft tank

oh! as for BB's ... BB bastard, Madbull (just was the residue off them), KSC perfect ....
I really cannot believe you just said TM is the leader in Airsoft range and accuracy. Sure TM leads the way if you fire wallmart clear springers. I have yet to see a serious Airsoft player using a TM replica.
SSG.House is offline Find More Posts by SSG.House
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
No messing around, just a simple solution

If you want a simple solution to improve range and accuracy for heng long tanks here is how to do it:
(I use my HL pzIII as an example)
1. Get a small drill bit
2. Find the closest part if the metal part if the barrel to the base and drill a hole SLOWLY so you don't ruin the inside of the barrel
3. Fire 0.12g bb's through it until it fires normally or use an airsoft barrel cleaner to clear the debris.
4. Enjoy the improved range and accuracy!

(The best place to drill is underneath)
Unfortunately, this does not help with how reliably it loads...
Firestorm400 is offline Find More Posts by Firestorm400
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:48 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
OK I have one for all of you it may sound off the wall but is there a certin way the barrel goes in I see there is a small hole toward the end wear it goes into the fireing end of the Pershing I have the same problem sometimes with my pershing. I know very little of the air soft set ups so I can use some help as well Thanks Don the rusbucket
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:54 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,819 Posts
LIKE OUR buddy sometimes mind will shoot then other times it just falls out and lays in the center of the main gun in front what dose that mean as well. Then there time when it shoots with some force and I am using the small plactic yellow BBs that came with the tank. NOW I can say one other thing when taking it a part take your time and keep an eye on what your doing for if your not carfull the spring of the gun that is in back will fall out along with the rest . YES I have been there myself . So some I know about some of it I dont. BUT When I put mind back together I saw small hole in back of the tube so like I just ask is there a way or one way it can be put bacl in maybe that may explane a few things and right now I dont rember witch I put it back together for I had to replace the gun when got this tank.
So I can use some answers as well thanks DON THE Rustbucket some things I can help with some I cant . Thanks in advance
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:22 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
First thing Don, toss the BB's that came with the tank in the trash. Get yourself some quality ones. The "included" BB's are generally poor quality and cause all kinds of problems.

That tiny little hole is to relieve the vacuum on the back side of the piston that hits the BB, as it passes by. If the hole wasn't there, as the piston moves forward it would build vacuum on the back side of the seal, and tend to slow the piston down.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:45 AM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
One of the issues with the HL airsoft setups is they're quite frankly cheap. A good quality complete mechbox for a proper airsoft gun generally costs more than an entire HL tank.

To really improve the FPS you'd need a new spring, which in the case of these mechanisms would also likely mean a new motor, new gears, and new shell. The HL mechanism just isn't designed to handle the loads required to obtain higher velocities.

Some things you can do to help is use higher quality, heavier BB's (I get *ok* range out of mine with 0.2g, anything above that and the range falls of noticeably) You could also replace the stock HL barrel with a high quality T/N airsoft barrel (6.04mm) .One from a pistol would probably be short enough without having to cut the barrel down. You'd likely have to do some rigging to get it to fit.

I'd almost be tempted just to pick up a complete airsoft AEP mechbox (like out of a Tokyo Marui MP7) and see if you could shoehorn it in there. Would take some doing an require some new servo work, but could be fun if that's your thing.

Or go to a CO2 system.
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren