Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Too Hot to Handle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cmark View Post
I got mine from NitroPlanes on sale for $72.81 shipped!
Good deal, for sure. Must've been the kit version that included the motor. Mine was Rx-R that also had the servos installed so it was priced higher...

Quote:
Got it put together and did some hover practice. Stock motor gets really hot after 2 to 3 minutes of hovering (running the 10x4.7). Going to change it out for a Turnigy 2217-20 860kv and use a 11x4.7. I will post a Video if this motor works out !
The motor does get hot, especially with the 10x4.7SF prop... Not sure how good the quality of this T-Motor is but something isn't right with the recommended (stock) set up. Switching motors like you've already done is probably a really good idea & something I'll be considering in the future...

Noticed you left off the support rods for both the main wing & tail feathers. Any reason why? Just testing it out first without them, or are you nixing them altogether?

Quote:
Current balance point is right on the Aileron wires.
How does it fly with the CG that far back? Manual shows 100 - 115mm back from the leading edge of the wing closest to the fuse. 115mm puts the CG just about 25mm, or 1 in., ahead of the aileron servo wire. That's where mine is & she's neutral when inverted using 1300mAh packs installed in the forward compartment but I've got all the supports glued on mine...

Anyway, glad to see a newcomer to the Katana list. Have fun & keep us posted with your experiences with this fun-flying bird...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Got one of these coming for xmas....what kind of flight times are you guys getting on a 3s 1000mah?
I set my timer to 4:30 with pretty aggressive flying, I think my cells come down between 3.6 and 3.75 per cell (will check next time I fly), which is kinda low for my taste so I'm considering just doing 4:00

Get high C rated lipo's I had some nano-tech 45c that would just be hot, now I have some 65c lipo's and they come down just warm.

Stock setup yes the motor gets pretty hot, but so far no issues, not even with the magnets glue, although under 5:00 minute flight times prolly is making the motor last longer than it should running this hot.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:03 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
"Noticed you left off the support rods for both the main wing & tail feathers. Any reason why? Just testing it out first without them, or are you nixing them altogether?"

I only use the plane for hover practice so I don't need any support rods. I put it together using blenderm tape no glue. The only time I 'fly' the plane is once to trim it for CG.

"How does it fly with the CG that far back? Manual shows 100 - 115mm back from the leading edge of the wing closest to the fuse. 115mm puts the CG just about 25mm, or 1 in., ahead of the aileron servo wire. That's where mine is & she's neutral when inverted using 1300mAh packs installed in the forward compartment but I've got all the supports glued on mine..."

With the CG on the aileron wires it fly's the same inverted or right side up. It would probably not be good for 3D flying (its kind of touchy) but for hovering it is perfect.
r/cmark is offline Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by r/cmark; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
200 mph club
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
Setting CG and Hover Video (as promised).

TechOne Katana (1 min 26 sec)

CG ended up at 135 mm back from leading edge (touchy).
With the CG that far back it is no fun to fly even on low rates (but great to hover)!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:23 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,371 Posts
Just got this great looking bird for Xmas, a bit worried about the stock motor and prop....has anyone in this thread discovered a good upgraded motor/prop combo for this model?
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:50 PM
200 mph club
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
Plane is for sale:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799206
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:37 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Going to be a Challenge...

Quote:
Just got this great looking bird for Xmas, a bit worried about the stock motor and prop....has anyone in this thread discovered a good upgraded motor/prop combo for this model?
...finding replacement motors...

JG,
The hardest part will be finding (any) motor that you can: 1. reverse the prop shaft & 2. match up the back plate mounting holes with ones that are on that odd-sized plastic motor mount. Unfortunately, the motor mount itself & the smallish fuse opening are just not very adaptable to installing anything else than the stock T-Motor...

Personally, I think the stock AS2216-1250KV is a bit undersized for this plane. The stock SF prop isn't very well matched either. IMHO, the plane ends up flying too slowly in even the slightest breeze & this is supposed to be an outdoor ship... I've tried different standard & SF props ranging from 10x5 to 11x5.5 & for me I've gotten the best results from a 10x7E thin electric prop but the motor always runs really hot no matter what size prop is on there...

I nosed mine in on landing a few weeks ago & broke the T-Motor shaft so she was out of commission (again)... I wasn't too impressed with this supposedly "good" motor so I ended up replacing it with another one from Dynam that's just about the same size, has the same KV rating & most importantly has the mounting holes that line up exactly with those on the mount. I'm up & flying her once again & the Dynam motor seems to work as well, if not better, than the T-Motor since it doesn't get as hot now. However, the caveat is that the shaft has a very small, threaded diameter (meaning it's hard to mount props) & the power leads have to have extensions made to reach the ESC if it's mounted under the wing, which is where mine is...

I've got another Turnigy D2836/8-1100KV motor from HK to try out but haven't sized it up yet to see if it will actually fit this one-off ship. Good luck because I think you'll find it's not going to be a simple prospect... But be sure to let us know what you end up with though...
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Jan 07, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,371 Posts
Wow, thank you RC for taking the time to write out all of that info! Thats why I love these threads. I still don't have mine completely together yet, but I am almost there. I plan on using the stock motor and getting as much life out of it as I can, but will definitely upgrade after that. Which Dynam motor is it that you are currently using? Guess it wouldnt hurt to have a backup motor in the box just incase

Thanks again
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:37 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,371 Posts
Upon further research, Ive read that the AT2216-1250kv greatly outperforms our stock AS2216-1250kv and is a dead drop in for this airframe. Both are T-motors, but the AT costs about twice as much as our stock AS version. Here are links to both:

AS: http://www.xheli.com/02p-motor-367-as2216-kv1250.html
AT: http://www.hobbypartz.com/02p-motor-...16-kv1250.html
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
163 Posts
Quote:
Upon further research, Ive read that the AT2216-1250kv greatly outperforms our stock AS2216-1250kv and is a dead drop in for this airframe. Both are T-motors, but the AT costs about twice as much as our stock AS version. Here are links to both:

AS: http://www.xheli.com/02p-motor-367-as2216-kv1250.html
AT: http://www.hobbypartz.com/02p-motor-...16-kv1250.html
+1 you are dead on right! AT series motor used to be part of the kit, at least when other smaller hobby shops used to carry techone planes. Then NP came and took the distribution rights in the US! Granted prices are cheaper now but at the cost of performance. Nothing but disappointment with AS motors!
am534615 is offline Find More Posts by am534615
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:30 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Alternate Motor

Quote:
Wow, thank you RC for taking the time to write out all of that info! Thats why I love these threads. I still don't have mine completely together yet, but I am almost there. I plan on using the stock motor and getting as much life out of it as I can, but will definitely upgrade after that. Which Dynam motor is it that you are currently using? Guess it wouldnt hurt to have a backup motor in the box just incase

Thanks again
JG,
Glad I could help you out. I'm full bore into almost every aspect of this addiction...I mean...hobby...

I have this Turnigy D2836/8-1100KV motor at the ready since I've had pretty good experiences with HK & their Turnigy products: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18969 The only downside are the International shipping charges from HK. It works out better if you're placing an order for more than just one item because it does get pricey coming from overseas so usually I wait until I have more stuff to get like new batteries before going this route... I haven't checked compatibility but I'm pretty confident I could "adapt" & secure a plywood plate on the backside of the stock motor mount & then be able to mount this motor even if it's pushed back slightly by the thickness of the added back plate...

By the way, the Dynam motor I'm using now was from this Hobby Partz combo: http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1030.html I got this package for another ship but ended up parting the components out to multiple ships. So far everything works well as I've got many trouble-free flights on the servos & the 30A ESC. I'm hoping for the same with this little motor now, too...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,371 Posts
Hmm, glad to see that those Dynam motors work cause I have two of these in my stock PBY Catalina that I got from NP. Are you using the stock 3-blade prop with that one?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:45 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
532 Posts
Dynam Gear...

Quote:
Hmm, glad to see that those Dynam motors work cause I have two of these in my stock PBY Catalina that I got from NP. Are you using the stock 3-blade prop with that one?
...is holding up just fine so far...

JG,
These Dynam motors are working very well for me & a lot of others at the field, especially with the larger 650KV-size motors in the Peaks 42/Pitts 12, Devil 3D & the SU-26M from NP that we've all been thrashing over & over for months now...

I'm not using the 3-blade prop on anything at the moment. That's why I mentioned it's a little difficult mounting (standard) 2-blade props. It can be done, though 'cause I've got a 2-blade EMP 10x5E on the Katana right now. There are other 2-bladed slo-flyer props that have the hex-nut recess in the back that would attach better but they're just too flimsy for my tastes...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:52 PM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Pictures from this morning

Katana at chilly RSA this morning.

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:45 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
781 Posts
Just picked up one of these finally, made a few mods and now I'm searching for more batteries.
Thus far, the FlightPower LiPo EONX 30 3S 11.1V 1200mAh 30C and Lightening Power 200 Series 3S 1350 mAh 35C (LP-200-3507) fit well.
Any other suggestions?

-8th
8thelephant is online now Find More Posts by 8thelephant