HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Is the assembly required on these less than the other Tech One EPP foamies? It looks like with the formed EPO fuse and wing etc that there's probably only minimal assembly of the wing and tail - is that true?
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:37 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khooke View Post
Is the assembly required on these less than the other Tech One EPP foamies? It looks like with the formed EPO fuse and wing etc that there's probably only minimal assembly of the wing and tail - is that true?
Yes. Much of assembly is already done.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
163 Posts
Seriously, the design is very similar to Parkmaster and it's graphic scheme looks very similar to Aj slick
IMHO, it is just like someone producing a trainer plane that looks very similar to one of the popular Cessna planes and have it painted with Piper cub's yellow color complete with its little cub logo on it.
I love techone planes but its just too much of a coincidence...just my 0.02
am534615 is offline Find More Posts by am534615
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Questions, questions :-) If I use HK lipos that come with a XT60 discharge connector (looks like most of HK lipos do), then what converter do I need to attach to the ESC that comes with the Katana - is it one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lead_2pc_.html
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:05 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Adapting to the Katana...

Quote:
Questions, questions :-) If I use HK lipos that come with a XT60 discharge connector (looks like most of HK lipos do), then what converter do I need to attach to the ESC that comes with the Katana - is it one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lead_2pc_.html
The TechOne Katana I have came with a 4mm bullet connector on the 30A ESC so what you've posted should work to adapt the XT60 on the (HK) batteries to the stock ESC...

I simply replaced the stock ESC bullet connector with a male T-plug (Deans) style since that's what I use for most of my 3S packs under 2200mAh...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
With this EPO foam what is the best glue to use both for install and repairs.
bart4u is offline Find More Posts by bart4u
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:22 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart4u View Post
With this EPO foam what is the best glue to use both for install and repairs.
For EPO I use 3 different types of glue depending on installing and repairs.

I use the Chinese EPO/EPS glue for installations, it's like rubber cement but works GREAT, it's what almost all EPO planes use by default from the factory. Best bet is to apply it on one part, fit the part on, pull it apart having both sides have some glue, let dry for a few minutes and install the part again. VERY strong hold that way.

I've heard the EPO glue that comes with kits is almost the same, but heard stories they are not as good, below is a link to a very good one I've been using for a while now.

Here is a link to the best one I've used.

Also on almost all EPO CA works great too! Though normal CA turns brittle escpecially when using kicker. For the flexing of EPO, I personally LOVE and recommend flexible CA, I've even made hinges with Flex CA it's that flexible. Again don't use kicker for any parts you want to have some give

Here is a link to some of the best flexible CA

And lastly Gorilla Glue for the large repairs, -_- This stuff is AMAZING and strong, though note it will expand so don't go crazy with the stuff.

Seriously I have an 800mm Corsair that's almost all gorilla glue now and doing a low high speed crash at over 70mph I only broke the prop and bent/crushed the cowl, nothing broke. A little steam and a hot blowdryer fixed the deformed cowl.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Sep 12, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
Queadlunnrau,Thanks for the glue information.
bart4u is offline Find More Posts by bart4u
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Apr 2012
23 Posts
katana on the way la la laaa on the way
gradjanin is offline Find More Posts by gradjanin
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:05 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Katana Rx-R Prop Question...

What size props are you guys using? Anybody using larger diameter ones?

I've been using the stock 10x5E-SF & now a 10x5E sport prop with the stock Rx-R version power system & 3S 30C 1300mAh batteries. Just doesn't seem to want to pull out of a hover or be able to overcome the effects of a steady breeze in high angles of attack. I'm thinking of trying an 11x7E-SF to see if this could help but at the same time don't want to stress the electrics beyond what they're designed for.

Might be time to upgrade to a slightly larger motor......
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradjanin View Post
katana on the way la la laaa on the way
I decided in the end to go with a Venus... I was looking something a bit smaller/lighter so I can fly it outside my house in the street. Hope I've made the right decision. As we all do, I spent many hours watching reviews and videos before making my decision. Should be arriving tomorrow. Only problem is new lipos and Orange rx are coming from HK and I dont think they've shiped yet... hopefully they arrive for the weekend...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,218 Posts
Quote:
I decided in the end to go with a Venus... I was looking something a bit smaller/lighter so I can fly it outside my house in the street. Hope I've made the right decision. As we all do, I spent many hours watching reviews and videos before making my decision. Should be arriving tomorrow. Only problem is new lipos and Orange rx are coming from HK and I dont think they've shiped yet... hopefully they arrive for the weekend...
I've had the Venus b4 I had my Katana, you've made a wise choice my friend as I MISS my Venus soo much. Don't get me wrong the Katana is bad @$$, but my venus I could fly in my backyard comfortably and hand catch it without fear of cutting my fingers.

On a side note, I flew yesterday with my buddy I traded my Venus too, winds were a gusty 20+Mph and thought surely I had the advantage with my Katana ... but wow my old Venus handled the wind just as good as my Katana!!!

A couple things to note on the Venus though, the side re-enforced rods need to be reglued a lot once the fuze has a good amount of flexing happening during manuevers. Also the pins in the control arms break soo easily, use staples and a hot needle to replace them as they break. Also the servos that come with that model strip so easily, replace with SG90s/HXT900 or expensive Hitec as they strip.

So far my Katana is a champ with nothing needing to be reglued upgraded.
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Sep 17, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
A couple things to note on the Venus though, the side re-enforced rods need to be reglued a lot once the fuze has a good amount of flexing happening during manuevers. Also the pins in the control arms break soo easily, use staples and a hot needle to replace them as they break. Also the servos that come with that model strip so easily, replace with SG90s/HXT900 or expensive Hitec as they strip.

So far my Katana is a champ with nothing needing to be reglued upgraded.
Thanks for the tips!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
Hi everybody,

I've been away from 3d for a year or two and I am looking for a 3d plane that I can just practice/experiment with.

Here are my main questions... (I might've missed a few of the answers already posted somewhere)

1. How durable is it? What was the worst crash you experienced, and what was the damage?
2. How much power does it have. Does anyone know how much thrust is actually produced by the propellor? What about other propellors?How well does it pull out of a hover?
3. Are the wheels/landing gear detachable? How are they mounted?
4. How much flex is in the body, wings, etc...?
5. How necessary are the wing braces? I plan to land on grass for most of my flights, so I would like to know how well they hold up.

Sorry about the long length lol...

Thank You!

-Will
WillH021 is offline Find More Posts by WillH021
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:09 AM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,218 Posts
1. How durable is it? What was the worst crash you experienced, and what was the damage?

Only crashed it once so far ... KE close to the ground and clipped the ground. Damage was prop shaft snapped, stripped rudder hxt900 and minor crinkle in the nose foam. Not bad for how many times it kartwheeled. Steamed the nose straight can't tell its been ever crashed. Surprising the wing that hit didn't even have a krinkle.

2. How much power does it have. Does anyone know how much thrust is actually produced by the propellor? What about other propellors?How well does it pull out of a hover?

Decent power, almost unlimited vert, using a gws 10x4.7. Pulls out of a hover well, but not as we'll as its lighter cousin the venus.

3. Are the wheels/landing gear detachable? How are they mounted?

Yes. They are just rods pushed into plasic holes in the fuse, i used rubber cement dried on the landikg gear rods so i can push them into the mounting holes and they stay, but can still pull them out. Tho I rarely use em as I fly over grass fields and bellyland

4. How much flex is in the body, wings, etc...?

Surprisingly not much, there are fat cf rods in the wings and in the fuse. But she does still flex when compared to a balsa plane, but does not flex near as much as an epp plane.

5. How necessary are the wing braces? I plan to land on grass for most of my flights, so I would like to know how well they hold up.

I woundt fly without em, not much weight for the strength. I almost always fly in a grass field, wing braces hold up really well if glued well. Rubber/flex ca on the wings end and gorilla glue for the cf plate under the fuse and mine has never come loose. Though I do almost always try to harrier land on the tail landing gear and plop the front down.