HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Discussion
TechOne EPO Katana

I just got this in the mail yesterday. I am thoroughly impressed by the completeness and the amount of pre assembly.

It has an extreme resemblance to Mulitplex ParkMaster. But, it has all the improvements that the PM needed incorporated.

I did not like the weak nose of the PM as it was intended for 3d training with some rough handling. The other was this FG rods on the surface.

Katana has insert molded CF within the frame and the wing. So, it has very clean appearance. The only downside to this is that surrounding foam is not glued to the CF tube. However, you can seep some thin CA though the molding support in the frame and the wing.

Dimensinallly, it is identical to PM with some cosmetic changes. I do like the painted wing and the wet transfer decals on the fuselage over the plastic decals on the PM.

As the 3d flying evolved over the years, the flight became more energy intensive. I was considering some braces on the wing and the tail but Katana comes ready for those.

I was flying the PM with stock 850kv motor and 17a esc with 12x6 prop. While Katana does come with 1250kv for smaller prop, it will require 20-30amp esc.

I will most likely put in a bigger motor with 30-35amp esc for more dynamic flight.

Since, the PM was Justin Jee's favorite foamy, it will be interesting to see what he will show with the Katana with upgraded power.

I started the assembly with the welder's glue, but it shows minor signs of melting. I do not want to use the CA due to brittleness, so I have used polyurethane glue (forgot the name) for the assembly.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Nov 2011
163 Posts
Quote:
It has an extreme resemblance to Mulitplex ParkMaster.
It's graphic design is also similar to 3DHS Aj Slick Orange scheme
America need something original and you've got to step it up!
Gotta love the show
am534615 is offline Find More Posts by am534615
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:19 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,937 Posts
methinks the Slick scheme is fast becoming the go-to scheme for being ripped off
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:02 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
Red,

Where did you get the EPO Katana. I haven't seen where anyone has it for sale?
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
I am trying to buy one of these but can't find a supplier. Techone claims they have shipped them to Nitro Planes. I have called them, emailed them etc and no answer for over 3 weeks.
jmilunsky is offline Find More Posts by jmilunsky
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:02 AM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Red,

Where did you get the EPO Katana. I haven't seen where anyone has it for sale?
I was told Nitro Hobby is the place to get them. I received this model directly from TechOne for flight testing.

We (Justin and I) did the maiden at the 3DHS funfly in Washington, NJ yesterday. I used all the gear from the ParkMaster temporarily. I had forgotten that I left all the PM packs (1350) at home so I borrowed 1000mah from a neighbor to do it.

The major difference was felt during hard turns due to the cf reinforcements on the wing and stabs. Landing gear, however, seemed to have less support than the PM and got pushed back during the grass landing. There is some play and it causes the gear to get pushed back during landing and tiny bit of grass resistance is all that is needed to nose over. Some sort of support plate on the bottom of use to tie it to the landing gear plate will be needed for grass landings. Also, wheel pants may need to go to extend the life of the gear plate.

I will be switching to 1000kv (from 850) and go to 30amp esc from 17 to make it hotter. I believe this frame will handle it better than PM would. But, you can also do that to PM.
Last edited by red_z06; Jul 15, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2007
248 Posts
do you have to put the landing gear on or is it even removable?
J
jeff reeves is offline Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:50 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff reeves View Post
do you have to put the landing gear on or is it even removable?
J
You do not have to put them on. It has plastic center and each leg has metal rod that plugs in. But, due to CF reinforcements at the bottom, grass can catch on them.

Tail gear can catch so I might put carbon rod instead.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Surgery for the landing gear area.

The gear plate was molded into the frame so there were no glue holding it in place. So, with even the slightest load, the gear will flex and the hole start to get enlarged. Putting in plywood brace perpendicular will give support to the gear plate and prevent it from being pushed back.

Now I just need to slit the frame so the plywood can be slid in.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,676 Posts
Looks like Nitroplanes has put them up on the website:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-102-k...-blue-arf.html
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:48 AM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
641 Posts
I love my Tech One Venus so I ordered a Katana yesterday from NP as it's a bit bigger and should have more power with a 3s
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
After reinforcing the LG area, I also noticed flexing at the control horns. This is due to not enough surface area on the control on over the glued foam surface.

I've added some brace into the foam on the rudder to prevent flex. I will do similar on the elev and aileron.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
USA, LA, Sorrento
Joined Jul 2007
168 Posts
Any videos yet this thing looks good almost like a park master will have to keep a eye on this one
millera1 is offline Find More Posts by millera1