SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Discussion
Caipo 4ch IR 19.99 from Maplin

I just got hold of a cheap 4 Channel IR co-ax from Maplins, seems like an agile little bird, Anyone else had one of these and what do you think?

This is first time i have used a 4 ch so didnt know what to expect, it is interesting to say the least. I have only flown the 3 ch 3.5ch coaxials before so wanted to try one, main problem i am having is getting used to the controls as the rotation is on the left hand with the throttle and the side slip is on the right hand with forward backwards.... is this the usual layout or is this unusual?

The sideways movement seems to be on a servo moving a 45degree plate that pushes on the bottom set of rotors to alter the tilt of the rotor, it reacts ultra fast to jink sideways but leaves alot to be desired in precise control its either ON or OFF Its first charge lasted 5 mins flight. I have uploaded some pics and maybe a video later on if anyone is interested.

Phil

Rodeown is offline Find More Posts by Rodeown
Last edited by Rodeown; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added pictures
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
I see we are from the same area in the UK

Those swashplates are notorious for sloppy action

The sticks on the controller are Mode 2 which is the norm for the UK.

If I were you I would use this one to learn to fly a 4ch heli and get used to the sticks because any 4ch heli you buy in the UK will be Mode 2.

Once you have become accustomed to flying it then go for something like the V911 Fixed Pitch heli from China, you will find this much faster but you will have a better heli setup to work with and have better control.

You can get one for 26.11 delivered from the link below
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ne...l?currency=GBP

BUT fly the one you have first so you can go through a battery without crashing

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I see we are from the same area in the UK
John, You surely remember buying a HENG KUN HK298 Twin Screw Transport Helicoptor because of my review in 2011, I know I have not posted for some time on these forums but I remember you my friend

Quote:
Those swashplates are notorious for sloppy action

The sticks on the controller are Mode 2 which is the norm for the UK.

If I were you I would use this one to learn to fly a 4ch heli and get used to the sticks because any 4ch heli you buy in the UK will be Mode 2.

Once you have become accustomed to flying it then go for something like the V911 Fixed Pitch heli from China, you will find this much faster but you will have a better heli setup to work with and have better control.

cheers John.
And thanks for the advice, I will try to get the hang of flying in mode2, I am finding it awkward, i keep strafeing sideways instead of turning hit the clocks a few times so far, I am puzzled as to why they are this way it would make more sense to have turn and forward/back on the right stick and strafe and throttle on left.

There must be some reasoning behind this layout?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
I do remember you now, you had crickets chirping away in the jungle lol.

The sticks are that way because that is how it happened. It is the 3ch helis that are the odd ones out and that is why the guys on here say 3ch helis learn you bad habits.

I have many 4ch helis now and some quads as well and it does take a bit of getting used to but as I said let this one take all the hits before you buy another 4ch. I could even bring some of my 4ch helis up to Hexham someday if it ever stops raining lol.

I would practice the hover then move forwards and back again.
Then side to side then try following a square path but do it all with very small stick movements.

Needless to say any questions just fire away
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Yes, sadly Gandalf my Bearded dragon died a fortnight ago, but good news is no more chirping cricket videos

Ahhhhh okayyyyy i have been doing it wrong, i have been attempting to do banked turns with it flying forwards turning and strafing at the same time no wonder i crashed it a few times

Anyway, small stick movements you say, okay, would it be a good idea not to fly my 3 channels now then ? or once you learn mode2 is easy to jump back and to between them?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about Gandalf, I know only too well what it is like to lose a pet.

To do banked turms you would need a big room as they depend on speed to work properly. So to turn right you need to go forward applying some rudder (Left stick) and the heli will go in a circle. It is the strangeness of the sticks you need to overcome more than anything. Keep doing simple flights till you don't have to think about what stick to use. I usually comes fairly quickly when you concentrate.

As for going between 3ch and 4ch, that depends on you. I do not find it a problem to jump from one to another.

I still have that Chinook and it still flies ok
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:15 AM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Thanks John, I am finding keeping the throttle the same whilst turning is a pain :-(
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:22 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeown View Post
Thanks John, I am finding keeping the throttle the same whilst turning is a pain :-(
That is the worst one to get used to, it is very difficult but if you give yourself plenty of room you can make adjustments to your altitude as you circle and it will be also different depending if you are going clockwise or anticlockwise

I would perhaps fly for a battery worth then have a break before going back to it, you will struggle for a while but then something clicks and you find you are not thinking which stick to use to move it away from trouble and you are more relaxed.

I am going offline for a while but I will be back online later
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
I think that the saying "buy cheap buy twice" applies to this purchase the throttle on this thing seems very "unproportional" it seems to go off very quick so the chopper drops out of the air then you have to reapply to save it, I dont know if learning on this one is a good idea as it is a sod to fly lol.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Quote:

cheers John.
Just pushed the add to cart button on this one..... ohhh stepping away from Co-ax is a big jump for me
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Just pushed the add to cart button on this one..... ohhh stepping away from Co-ax is a big jump for me
Oh well, it will take a few weeks to get here

The V911 will react faster to your stick inputs so small stick inputs are very important.
It will hover well straight from the box but read the instructions before you do anything.

It is a very nice heli and there is a thread abut it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1548027

Take some time and have a look, it is probably too big to read it all

cheers John.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:35 AM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Thanks John, much appreciated, spent some time reading already, I now want a quadcopter been a while since i got excited over these little machines.

Managing to get the hang of mode 2 slowly now, takes a while after been used to steering with the right hand, actually managing to slide sideways in a large circle now, one thing i have noticed though with this Caipo, it does not like right hand turns whilst strafing.... it goes into toilet bowl crash mode and spirals down to the ground, strange thing is i can do that to the left no problem?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:44 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Thanks John, much appreciated, spent some time reading already, I now want a quadcopter been a while since i got excited over these little machines.

Well Banggood are selling small quads and they seem to be getting good reviews from the guys that have them. I have the small Beetle on order but they are not yet in stock but the slightly larger one is.
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...l?currency=GBP

Managing to get the hang of mode 2 slowly now, takes a while after been used to steering with the right hand, actually managing to slide sideways in a large circle now, one thing i have noticed though with this Caipo, it does not like right hand turns whilst strafing.... it goes into toilet bowl crash mode and spirals down to the ground, strange thing is i can do that to the left no problem?
All these helis have a similar problem, it has to do with the direction of rotatin of the rotor blades. It is called "The Death Spiral"
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:35 AM
Newcastle Area UK
Joined Jul 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
All these helis have a similar problem, it has to do with the direction of rotatin of the rotor blades. It is called "The Death Spiral"
surely that should not be an issue with a coaxial as each set rotates opposite directions? canceling out any sort of difference with the blades gaining more lift going forwards on one side as both sets are going forward on both side? or have i got it wrong somewhere?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:48 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
surely that should not be an issue with a coaxial as each set rotates opposite directions? canceling out any sort of difference with the blades gaining more lift going forwards on one side as both sets are going forward on both side? or have i got it wrong somewhere?
It is even worse on a co-ax. The Blade mCX2 e.g. is well known for it and many have tried to overcome this failing.

If you don't try to fly agressively it won't happen the other solution is just to turn the other way lol.