Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:26 AM
drtodd
vineland, nj
Joined Sep 2007
22 Posts
Help!
Fuel proof pearl white cowl

Hi guys.
Years ago, I built a 1/4 scale sig clipped wing cub for my dad for his birthday. In the interest of being unique, I covered it in ultra cote pearl blue and pearl white in the traditional scheme. Since horizon does not make paint to match its pearl covering, I painted the cowl with Pactra racing finish paint, then cleared it with fuel proof paint. Over the years it had discolor on the entire cowl. I just ordered a fiberglass specialties cowl for it and need some suggestions on how to paint this one so it doesn't discolor. I thought of automotive paints, but am not sure if the nitro fuel will eat through it.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Todd
drdemarcodc is offline Find More Posts by drdemarcodc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
Base coat, clear coat automotive paints work good. You can also check

Check outhttp://klasskote.com epoxy two part paint that is fuel proof. probably need to have it custom mixed to get your color. The two part urethane auto clears are fuel proof. Don't use oilbase polyurethane clear from the hardware store, it will yellow bad over white. I have not found waterbase poly to be fuel proof even though it has been said that there is some waterbase clear poly that is fuel proof and won't yellow, I just haven't found it.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,040 Posts
Check out Radio South. They custom mix single stage PPG Urethanes to match MK and UC colors. I am not sure about the pearl colors, but you can ask. They also sell it in small quanitities like you would use on a cowl. For sport planes, I prefer the single stage paint since with a two stage, BC/CC system, if you scratch the clear and fuel gets in the scratch, it will start to lift the base under it.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood