HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2003, 01:50 PM
Joined Nov 2003
16 Posts
Question
Can I charge packs with an industrial HP power supply ?

Hi guys
New to this and I have some beginner questions:

1. What is a trickle charge ?

2. Can I charge my packs (8 cells unknown 500mAh and 8 hcell 1050mAh ) with an industrial HP power supply ?
I adjusted the voltage to 9.6v and limit the current to 100mA (for the new hcell pack) and as soon as I connected the pack the meter showed 10.38v and 0.3A. The HP power supply simply ignoring the limits. Any ideas???

3. The unknown 500mAh pack shows about 10v but it ran out after a min or so, the pack is new and it has only couple of cycles on it. But I didnít slow charge it for the first use, I used a field charger and a car battery. Did I lost this pack??

Thanks...
yshimoni is offline Find More Posts by yshimoni
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2003, 02:21 PM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
Quote:
Can I charge my packs (8 cells unknown 500mAh and 8 hcell 1050mAh ) with an industrial HP power supply ?
No, this will work for lithium and lead acid batteries if done carefully, but not other chemistries. (those other two use costanst current/constant voltage to charge)

Quote:
3. The unknown 500mAh pack shows about 10v but it ran out after a min or so, the pack is new and it has only couple of cycles on it. But I didnít slow charge it for the first use, I used a field charger and a car battery. Did I lost this pack??
What were you powering with it? What type of charger? (rate and how long in particular) Also, if it was only 10 volts, it probably wasn't fully charged either.
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:16 PM
Joined Nov 2003
16 Posts
First thanks for your replyÖ

So can the simple wall outlet chargers (450mA for a 9.6v cordless power tool) do the work?? can I use it to home charge the packs?? Will it provide variable current ?

I have a simple speed 400 motor on a GWS spitfire.
yshimoni is offline Find More Posts by yshimoni
Old Nov 14, 2003, 08:52 PM
Right Honorable Member
Chicago Midway, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2003
517 Posts
All you ever wanted to know about wall wart chargers.......

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/wallwart.htm
flatfour is offline Find More Posts by flatfour
Old Nov 14, 2003, 09:33 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
you can trickle your packs with that power supply but you cant do any kind of fast charge. you would not know when to shut it off (well, it would be a lot of work at least)

To trickle them, set the voltage to about 14V or so (it will never get there due to the current limit) and then set the current limit to 50mA. The supply will automatically vary the voltage to maintain that current.

That supply is great for charging LiPo packs though... I use my benchtop supply for that all the time.
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:49 PM
MALAYSIA
Joined Aug 2003
237 Posts
For a rechargerable batt. nominal voltage is 1.2 and fully charger is 1.45 -1.5volt, if a pack with 8 cells, 8 X 1.5v = 12 volt. So u need a 12 V charger to charger the pack and for the current normally we use 0.2 C (Charger Rate), at this rate we can get better charger and more cycle life...
jason_ices is offline Find More Posts by jason_ices
Old Nov 15, 2003, 09:28 PM
now that's a wattmeter...
Singapore
Joined May 2002
1,136 Posts
Well since the supply likely has an adjustable limit, you could always adjust the current down until it shows whatever current you like.
I also use a lab power supply to balance out packs which have had cells replaced, no problems there.
simingx is offline Find More Posts by simingx