HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 3DNater, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:46 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
Discussion
70" slick repairs

Last week I had the unfortunate luck to have my motor flame out just after exiting a low hover into a harrier roll. I had basically one roll completed when the motor flamed out with no speed and maybe 15 ft. of altitude. To make matters worse my plane had just passed over the edge of the runway so my unfortunate deadstick was into the dirt. The landing gear caught and ripped out destroying the wheel pants and damaging the under-side of the plane, broken muffler, and tore the wire braid off of the ignition cap.

Tonight I commenced my first efforts at making repairs on the fuse. Earlier today I picked up the motor from a local welding shop where they charged me $20 to add an ounce or so of aluminum to the muffler I am actually grateful for the job they did because they extended the weld past the stressed metal hopefully providing more strength to it.

You can see my progress with repairs in the pics. I made a little bit of progress after the pics in which I was able to completely remove the old landing gear block. It was a pain to remove because a portion of it made a very tight fit in the former and wouldn't come out with debonder. I finally used the cutting dremel bit to get it out. Once I had removed the core of the wood the outside pieces that were debonded came out pretty easy and the former slot is nice and clean. I just hope the new block goes in ok. I have to put it in before repairing the formers because after those repairs are made it won't fit. It's weird how things can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
Repairs commencing!

The landing gear block arrived from Steve T with a little minor sanding it slid right in place. Thanks Steve! It looks like the remainder of the repairs should go pretty quick depending on what additional hiccups I run into. The formers will take some attention but I am up to the task.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:33 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
I just did a bunch more work on the slick. I made some new former pieces that I sandwiched on each side of the existing landing gear formers. I used 30 min epoxy to glue everything on the inside. Then I replaced the stringers and added balsa sheeting. I need to do a little more work on the inside of the canister tunnel but other than that she is ready to cover. I think I'll end up just covering over the removable vent hole in the canister tunnel or I'll just leave it a hole for ventilation.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
The weld looks like the amperage may have been a little low. Is it sealed?
going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
I don't know enough about it to respond to that... They told me they had a little trouble because of the oil/fuel on the inside... I don't really know much about it beyond that...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:02 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
That is a poor excuse from a welder in my opinion. It possibly will be fine the way it is...I was thinking out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I don't know enough about it to respond to that... They told me they had a little trouble because of the oil/fuel on the inside... I don't really know much about it beyond that...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:04 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
No worries you aren't the first one to comment on it. I hope it is ok...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:08 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
see the attached weld how its concave and how the material around the weld seems to form with the weld? This is indicative of a satisfactory weld. When the weld is convex and shows separation at the edges it shows to be possibly not well bonded to the parent material. Just FYI.

Did they tig it or mig it? It sort of looks like mig.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:25 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
I have no idea what they did... I said hey can you guys weld this? They said they could... I picked it up the next day.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,001 Posts
What engine did you have on it?
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
PTE 36cc http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php?...028&pd=4789340

I found out after the fact from some guys on flying giants that the flame out was probably due to being over-heated. The motor is not broken in and hovering creates a lot more heat since all you get is prop wash over the motor. So... I just don't want people pre-judging this motor based on my inexperience. Right now it is looking like the flame out was probably my fault. I am really impressed with the power of this motor and I really hope I can give it an adequate chance to redeem itself. I hope to try running it again on Monday.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:41 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
pics of repairs?
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:38 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,638 Posts
I guess I never got around to posting the repairs... basically you can't tell anything ever happened unless you look really close. It turned out really nice.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:52 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
glad to hear it!
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer