HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
I was just talking to the distributor of these heli's in Canada about that, rotoraddict. It has taken almost a week for someone to see what went on with those mounts. It may start a trend, lol. Thanks.

Don

PS: Really interesting camera, karlik.
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:48 PM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
wow
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:39 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Are these side windows installed with the # PROWRS H channel? If so, is one package enough for the entire heli?

SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:07 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
No, those are waiting for that channel to arrive along with some of the lexan (acrylic) sheets that I will put to use on the Jet Ranger. If it arrives soon, I will give you a run-down. I may also use it on my MD500 TD if there is lots left over for the rear upper windows. Take care.

Don
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:11 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Thanks. I see how that is done now. I think I need to get some thinner fineline tape to mask the curves on mine so I don't have any bleed-under. There's some workmanship in that paintjob
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:48 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Before you do that, I just had a close look at the rubber lines on my painted body and they are tape. That is why they look so even. If you use a some matt tape, it will save you trying to paint them to match a dull rubber look.

Don
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:43 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Thanks for the update on what they are. I found some proper fine-line tape...let's just say that idea didn't work so well so it never got started too far. I think I'll have similar results trying to replicate the Funkey method as well (corners are a pain) I'm going to try getting some liquid mask and use the window opening to guide the trimming of the mask for an even gap, then paint conventionally.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:14 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

Don
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:11 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Maybe I didn't look good enough, but I couldn't find a final RTF weight of this bird. I'm trying to get a comparison to what you got using a real 600 heli vs. my 500 stretch. Help a brother out? Thanks!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:44 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
I only guessed at it back then but I am at approximately (bath scale weight difference system) 14.3 pounds, ready to fly. I promise that if I get these large birds of mine down to the LHS, I will get weights for this one and my Jet Ranger, as I have a full-up flying weight for my MD500 TD at 16 pounds.

I understand what the principle of using the smaller mechanics for a scale flying bird are but I am fairly sure the the weight of my body on the MD500 is at 6 to 6.5 pounds dry, so I am not sure that a 500 mechanical set would be able to get something like that up in the air, not that with the right money it couldn't be done, but the actual gearing and motor size limits would not allow such a weight to be lifted. I am even doubting this motor in the long run and have made plans for a 12s 700 size motor and gearing to be ordered if it gets dicey as the season goes on. Air flow may play a bigger part in all this but I had to have a fall-back plan. The AS350, on the other hand, most likely has less showing of the mechanics than yours might. Take a side shot of yours with the batteries in place as that would be an interesting comparison. Take care.

Don
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:04 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
. The AS350, on the other hand, most likely has less showing of the mechanics than yours might. Take a side shot of yours with the batteries in place as that would be an interesting comparison. Take care.

Don
Sorry for the late reply...but here's a side view. I put an 'extended' battery tray in so it will balance with 1 5300 pack.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:11 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Nice looking build so far. I just got the backorder off so that it can be worked upon and maybe by April sometime, I will have all those little goodies from ProHeli like the channel, line tape, and all my interior bits. I would dearly love to use the existing windows in the AS350 but if there is lots and lots of acrylic sheet, I will replace all windows and make the lower long door window on the right side as the doors on a French AS355 (the model they use for liason and training, not the AS350) have the lower windows in both doors. They are both short front and sliding back but I will try and get the look of that with the long low window. I will leave the front and top windows tinted and let the rest be clear. The real ones are flat side to side with the only curve being top to bottom. I can always get some transparent spray to try tinting them, too, as then I am only dealing with tinting one window and fitting the rest in the rubber. If the rubber does not look like it will work (I need to try it on the TOW Defender rear windows first), I will forego using it and it will be another item tried in my long list of new, unused parts and accessories. I think I have about three large 600 size motors, three or four large servos, who knows how many standard gyros, and a few ESCs just for good measure. Hundreds sitting there, sheesh. Take care.

Don
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:31 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
I took a couple of pictures at the club on the weekend of the AS350 and my 500MD TD. I added the external basket to store extra cargo and I am now looking (next time I am around a discount store) for fishnet stockings or something similar to use in place of the glued on netting. Not high on the priority list, though. Still flys great and in cool weather, uses even less power as I think one battery was only down 1300 or so for a 6 minute flight. I have new video of the flight but have not edited it yet. Another thing to do tomorrow. Here are the pictures I got.

Don
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:33 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Earlier in the thread, I talked about getting a camera to get video of my helicopters without having the rotors look like a sideshow mirror trick. I bought a Panasonic handy cam that uses CCD technology AND SD chip memory. The results are just what I wanted and didn't break the bank doing it. I was going to buy one of the latest DSLR's but not one would do what this little camera will do. Hmmmm, enough left over for more heli parts............ya, that's the ticket. Take care.

Don

AS350 First Flight of the Spring (4 min 56 sec)
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:51 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
718 Posts
Just read through your thread.. I take it your using 600mm main blades?

You mentioned earlier about trying some 570 mm main blades.. Could you use 550mm as it's three bladed.

Great videos
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g