HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier n View Post
hey,

I bought the century blades, and tested them...just great!!! :-)
Stability improved drasticly, power consumption seemed to be almost identical compared to the spinblades..impressive
Will fly and test some more, but will probably keep them..

Thx,
Didier
You will find that the Rotor-Tech/Century blades are always well worth the money!!
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
I got some fresh video shot but a lot of it was unusable as the fellow was not used to shooting video of objects where he was tracking using auto-focus. At least, it was in high res so it was easier to tell when it was and was not in focus. I may end up having to upload it to YouTube but Photobucket now allows video so I will try that for high-res as a trial. There was one flight with my Jet Ranger that I wished he had shot as it was near perfect scale in motion. Take care.

Don

AS350 @ Bayview Park (3 min 7 sec)
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Last edited by Keyrigger; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added video
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,706 Posts
Nice flying and a gorgeous model. What a great place to fly!!
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Thanks. I said that the video was mostly unusable, but his still shots were way, WAY better. These are my favourites out of the batch he shot. It is hard to tell it is a model at first glance. Take care.

Don

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,065 Posts
WOW that was SWEET i love those AS-350s i have its a 450size here's a VDO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fZISuB0w0:)
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Last edited by Bad Creation; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:55 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Looks and sounds really good in the air. Take care.

Don
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,065 Posts
Thank you Sir
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:28 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Today, I was a very busy boy. I knew that one day those seats would show up and I would be scrambling to get the rest of the internal build done. This is not like your average interior as the pictures will show. Also, you will see my tiny little work space. I am still amazed I can work on a 600 size scale heli in this tight area, whew. Enjoy the pics.

My Skunkworks

This is how this is going to work in the body, I hope.

A little more detail

First fitting

This is really far back in the body but is still forward, for the most part, of the main shaft

The other side of the cabin

Moved forward a lot

Check out this picture and the next

That leaves the complete forward section completely clear to have a full front cabin install. The real bonus will happen when I get most of it back together so I can play around with weight positions, including throwing in the pilot figures so they are included in the mix. Should be fun, but I got some other fantastic news today. My MD500 TOW Defender is on the way, the head, blades, follower, and swashplate will be shipped late next week. WOOHOO. Take care.

Don
Last edited by Keyrigger; Dec 14, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:17 AM
Australia, QLD, Brookfield
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
I got some fresh video shot but a lot of it was unusable as the fellow was not used to shooting video of objects where he was tracking using auto-focus. At least, it was in high res so it was easier to tell when it was and was not in focus. I may end up having to upload it to YouTube but Photobucket now allows video so I will try that for high-res as a trial. There was one flight with my Jet Ranger that I wished he had shot as it was near perfect scale in motion. Take care.

Don

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2_z3NvqMuo

Really nice Keyrigger. Sounds and looks real in the air. Head speed looks spot on also
Hank79 is offline Find More Posts by Hank79
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
I finished the rework of the electronics positioning and installed the chassis for a trial final balance fit. I used my 3300mAH packs as they would be the lightest set I would install to fly it and calculated by guess, the weight of the pilots and a couple of scale details. I left lots of room for adjustment on the trays so I can put up to twin 5000mAH packs in it and keep the balance spot on just with the adjustment available on the battery trays. My only job in the next couple of days is to make up two 90 degree wood brackets to install the battery tray supports. I have lots of 1/4 and 3/16" ply and I'm not affraid to use it, lol. The supports will be screwed to the brackets and the brackets screwed to the floor. I am not going to glue anything until there is a final flight test that lasts more than one flight, as it is getting miserable out there in the last couple of days. Here are the pics.

Not much different but the batteries are placed further forward on the tray and the support is mounted where I would have liked to have it installed.

Tons of room for the complete full front cockpit and some rear details can be added if I add some rear floor to it. That I hope to do, anyway, to support the back of the seats and any other items that need to me mounted back of the current floor. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
I was able to get out and try a flight with it today. The heli felt like it was on a track system and with the wind, that is saying a lot about how it is acting. I added a bit of weight to the nose to simulate the weight of the pilots and seats and that change in balance may have put it just a tiny bit nose heavy. It was one of the best flights I have had with it in over a month and even though my hands got a bit chilled, it was worth it, as it has never flown better. I can't wait to be able to finish this one off. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:34 AM
Thumper
Slidell, LA
Joined Jan 2010
24 Posts
Glad to hear you got it dialed in and flying well. It is so much more enjoyable to fly when its behaving well and always helps my confidence. Unfortunately it took me two separate crashes before I got my AS350 set up well. Now it's a joy to fly but looks pretty rough from multiple repairs.

Enjoy your machine and let's see some video!!!

Andrew
AMinster is offline Find More Posts by AMinster
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
My Jet Ranger had the same fate your 350 did and now it flys beautifully but looks butt ugly aside from the new shoes. I worked on the pilot and co-pilot for my 350 last night and put the "dirt" on the boots just a few minutes ago. I am going to eventually be required to paint the outfits as they absolutely do not match what they should be but I need to find out the colour of the training outfits for the French Army Airforce or wing it and do them up in a medium green with dark green patches. Oh well. They are equipped with left-overs from the three men going into the MD500, so they don't have all the neat stuff on them, but after all, this is supposed to be a training and liaison helicopter, not the combat Fennec. Video will most likely be next year as soon as I can figure out how to make a CMOS sensor take pictures and video that comes close to or duplicated a CCD sensor. I hate bent blades in video and stills, sigh. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Video will most likely be next year as soon as I can figure out how to make a CMOS sensor take pictures and video that comes close to or duplicated a CCD sensor. I hate bent blades in video and stills, sigh. Take care.

Don
I'm looking forward to when this camera can take video.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,667 Posts
I really love the innovation that you show in the battery trays that you made. I see they are a sliding tray design. That will certainly make it convenient for changing out the battery packs after a flight! - TWO THUMBS UP!
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict