Joined Dec 2009
1,056 Posts
Coming along nicely
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
Looks like some more very nice scale detailing! Just love the sliding side windows.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:38 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Thanks guys. I was at the club getting as much airtime as I could and snapped a couple more pictures showing the left side sliding glass. If I didn't mention it already, the latest batch of scale components are on the way, including the cockpit. I can't wait to start that up but it will mean no flying while I try and figure out how to rework the chassis. Take care.

Don

Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:09 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,056 Posts
Those sliding window's look good
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:52 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
I got some more bits and pieces put on last night and a couple of days ago. The wire strike installation will be done when I get the deflectors made and installed in front of the windshield wipers. I am still trying to match the brown paint and may try getting it done at a paint shop with digital colour matching. It matters little what paint it is as long as it sticks and gets dull-coated. I have a few more antennae coming and will add them once they are in. It makes a large difference to its presence in the air as these details are added. They do show up when the heli is flown in for a low flyby or in front of others while landing. Take care.

Don

Last edited by Keyrigger; Sep 07, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,056 Posts
Like that detail
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:43 PM
Leopoldsburg, Belgium
Joined Jul 2006
222 Posts
Very nicely done!
What is you setup? flighttime? And what's the weight of one main blade?
Mine is flying with the ( rubbish) century scale mechanic, 6s 5800mah and spinblades. Fly's ok for 8 to 9 minutes, leaving 25% in the battery.

cheers,

Didier
didier n is offline Find More Posts by didier n
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:13 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Thanks guys.

Didier:

I am using a T-Rex 600E Pro FBL as the base mechanics with an 11 tooth pinion and the stock 112 tooth main gear. I have a KDS Direct engine mount as the stock one is fixed for the 13 tooth pinion only. I use the stock motor and a 3300 mAH 12s pack and fly it for 6 minutes pulling only 1400 mAH per battery. I am sure I can fly it for 10 minutes without breaking a sweat and once the rest of the interior is in, I will be able to use any twin battery pack I want from the 3300's up to my 5000's. The gyro is the SK720 setup as a Spektrum RX with two remote receivers with the stock supplied CC ICE 80 Amp esc. I use a separate 2500 mAH RX lipo battery run through a CC Pro 20 BEC set at 6v. The servos are stock Align 610's on the cyclic and a 650 on the tail. The tail housing is a modified 550 unit so that it can be mounted as high up in the boom as possible. I cannot get the mechanics any higher or the motor will rub on the air intake on the doghouse, it's that close. I am running about 8 or 9 degrees of pitch and 6 to 7 degrees of cyclic, much like an F3C setup, and it is still very responsive. The mounting of the mechanics took a bit of woodwork and shimming along with parts for mounting other helicopters which were included in the kit. By the way, have you ever seen a picture of this helicopter as it is presented? I can't find one but all sorts of Danish army versions. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:12 PM
Leopoldsburg, Belgium
Joined Jul 2006
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Thanks guys.

Didier:

I am using a T-Rex 600E Pro FBL as the base mechanics with an 11 tooth pinion and the stock 112 tooth main gear. I have a KDS Direct engine mount as the stock one is fixed for the 13 tooth pinion only. I use the stock motor and a 3300 mAH 12s pack and fly it for 6 minutes pulling only 1400 mAH per battery. I am sure I can fly it for 10 minutes without breaking a sweat and once the rest of the interior is in, I will be able to use any twin battery pack I want from the 3300's up to my 5000's. The gyro is the SK720 setup as a Spektrum RX with two remote receivers with the stock supplied CC ICE 80 Amp esc. I use a separate 2500 mAH RX lipo battery run through a CC Pro 20 BEC set at 6v. The servos are stock Align 610's on the cyclic and a 650 on the tail. The tail housing is a modified 550 unit so that it can be mounted as high up in the boom as possible. I cannot get the mechanics any higher or the motor will rub on the air intake on the doghouse, it's that close. I am running about 8 or 9 degrees of pitch and 6 to 7 degrees of cyclic, much like an F3C setup, and it is still very responsive. The mounting of the mechanics took a bit of woodwork and shimming along with parts for mounting other helicopters which were included in the kit. By the way, have you ever seen a picture of this helicopter as it is presented? I can't find one but all sorts of Danish army versions. Take care.

Don
Don,

If i understand correctly you have 2 6s 3300mah packs in paralell using 1400mah each, so 2800mah in an 6 min flight? really nice!
I'm ok with mine, they only problem i'm having is not enough stability in the spinblades. They are 97gr each, and in my opinion just not enough. The beast x has to work too hard to keep it all stable in hover, so it kinda' wobbles sometimes in translation when there is wind. I have almost 100 flights on the heli, and tried all possible settings. Purchased TF scale blades which are 150gr, flew waaay better, but were of poor construction, so they draw almost double the amount of amp's..removed them after two flights..
As for the pictures you asked me, nope..the french seem to have the twin turbine version only, did some searching myself, found the one in the picture, but their paint sceme is different..

greets,

Didier
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:21 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Didier:

The pack is actually a series connection to give me 44.4v nominal. When I put the batteries on charge, they seldom are below 23v and for the most part, are at 23.2v average. Yes, I have seen the odd picture of the French AS355 but that is the closest picture to what we have and even then, they seem to be from Paraguay which is a French colony (or it may be independant by now). I may yet go with making a Danish version but the pilot's door is the wrong type, sigh. The performance of the Century scale semi-symmetrical blades is very good and were close enough in balance to not need any work. I am very impressed with them. Thanks for the picture and take care.

Don
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
...... The performance of the Century scale semi-symmetrical blades is very good and were close enough in balance to not need any work. I am very impressed with them. Thanks for the picture and take care.Don
I have found that any Rotor Tech blades that I have ever had to be great, be them their FAI blades, their 3D blades or their FBL blades. I have not yet tried their scale semi-symm. blades, but I would expect they wouid live up to the reputation/performance they have established with their other blades.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
This past weekend, I talked to Scott Gray and watched him perform at one of our local club's fly-in. On all of his helicopters, Rotor Tech blades are installed, including ones he has had a hand in developing. The performance level of these blades are much better than the Pro 3D blades I have on my Jet Ranger and as soon as I can get my hands on a set of 550 sized scale blades, the Pro's are history. When he was performing hard 3D type maneuvers, the usual burping and farting of the rotor blades was not present which is either that the blades are better at cutting through air, his flying style is more precise than most other pilots, or both of the above. I certainly am sold on their blades for future purchases over Align or Pro 3D blades. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Finally, I found a local supply of 10" military dolls but unfortunately, only one style is carried. Toys R Us has this military toy set system called True Heros and the only actual action figure is a paratrooper with a Navy ID card, lol. However, it looks like it will fit in the cockpit so I am now really chomping at the bit to get the seats in ASAP. Have a chuckle, introducing Paul D. Coughlin.......

I will most likely change the colour of the outfit but who knows, it may be best to leave it alone and just work with it. I have taken it apart to increase the articulation of the joints and I have a second one that I will leave as is until I get the seat kit in. The rifle it comes with is terrible and looks like the butt stock is upside down and the rest of the kit is hard plastic but does have some webbing which adds realism. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Finally, I found a local supply of 10" military dolls but unfortunately, only one style is carried. Toys R Us has this military toy set system called True Heros and the only actual action figure is a paratrooper with a Navy ID card, lol. However, it looks like it will fit in the cockpit so I am now really chomping at the bit to get the seats in ASAP. Have a chuckle, introducing Paul D. Coughlin.......

I will most likely change the colour of the outfit but who knows, it may be best to leave it alone and just work with it. I have taken it apart to increase the articulation of the joints and I have a second one that I will leave as is until I get the seat kit in. The rifle it comes with is terrible and looks like the butt stock is upside down and the rest of the kit is hard plasti
c but does have some webbing which adds realism. Take care.

Don
I ordered the same ones for my MD500 Tow Defender 600 size. In my casecthe color of the uniforms is correct
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
Leopoldsburg, Belgium
Joined Jul 2006
222 Posts
Quote:
Didier:

The pack is actually a series connection to give me 44.4v nominal. When I put the batteries on charge, they seldom are below 23v and for the most part, are at 23.2v average. Yes, I have seen the odd picture of the French AS355 but that is the closest picture to what we have and even then, they seem to be from Paraguay which is a French colony (or it may be independant by now). I may yet go with making a Danish version but the pilot's door is the wrong type, sigh. The performance of the Century scale semi-symmetrical blades is very good and were close enough in balance to not need any work. I am very impressed with them. Thanks for the picture and take care.

Don
hey,

I bought the century blades, and tested them...just great!!! :-)
Stability improved drasticly, power consumption seemed to be almost identical compared to the spinblades..impressive
Will fly and test some more, but will probably keep them..

Thx,
Didier