HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,465 Posts
Thanks, Sideways. Here are some shots from the maiden flight and others. I added a couple more windows to reduce drag while in flight and to have it look better on the flight line. I used hot-glue to hold them in as it will completely come away when picked off. This heli flys like it is a very, very large aircraft, completely unlike my Jet Ranger. As well, it has tons of power to spare, because a pitch pump barely slows the rotor down but there is a price to pay. Torque. When it was flown outside the body, a full pitch pump would not even phase it but with the body on, there is a noticeable torque to the left (tail movement, nose right) but it would be an emergency full pitch collective movement and not normal or even hard flight. What a joy it is to handle and the rpm at 1650 sounds right, rather than 1525 or 1410. Take care.

Don

What a difference between a 30 and 50 size heli

Ready to go

Looking good in the air

Good landing characteristics and the take-offs are really easy to make look scale
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:51 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Congrats! Man, I really want to build one of these now, lol.

Could I ask for a side view photo of your AS350 and .30 JR together? I'd like to get an idea how the sizes compare and reference it off my .30 JR to see what it'd look like.
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,670 Posts
Man-o-man Keyrigger but those pictures and helis look nice!!
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Nice

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,067 Posts
VERY nice are going to make another video of it
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,465 Posts
Thanks all. This is a long term work in progress, well, as long as it takes to get all the scale bits in. Here is a video shot this weekend. I am practising flying nose in then pulling up and back so the first one you see there was just that, the first one. A few more times at it and it was looking like a full sized heli pulling out after a look-see. Take care.

Don

Don AS350 Military (5 min 49 sec)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:17 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,465 Posts
I built the landing light housing today and finished the wiring of the running and strobe lights. Once this is finished off with a 9 channel RX, it will have switchable landing lights but for the time being, they will be on full time with the running lights. Maybe tomorrow, I will insall the boom handles and a few other small items but the news that a customs shipment is clearing means that some or most of my interior is close at hand, YES. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,067 Posts
WOW beautiful flight looks like she handles like a dream
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,465 Posts
Bad Creation:

Thanks. I may have mentioned it already but this AS350 flys so nicely, it makes my Jet Ranger seem like I am flying a tank.

I have re-aquainted myself with building parts from scratch and I had forgotten how time consuming it can be. I spent the better part of 7 hours making up the sliding window frame for the pilot and tomorrow (or Friday) I will do the co-pilot's door. I also painted the head and blades and the difference is amazing. This is looking far more scale than my Ranger but I had never really intended to go this far. When I look at heli's like the MD500D 160th SOCOM, I sit back in awe. I hope to have the room to attempt that type of build one day. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
rotoraddict:

I like the blades on the Logo but may change to a shorter 520mm length set of Aligns that I have sitting around. Those are 560mm long and can create a lot of torque that is not always desireable. I have already stripped one main gear on the Logo by a very abrupt pull-out and there are no local suppliers for those parts, sigh.

As an update, I have changed the pinion to the 11t from the 13t and changed the motor mount to the KDS Direct adjustable. According to the software from CC, I have a maximum rpm of 1910 and I have set the startup to 1450, a midrange at 1575, and a top speed of 1600. I have also changed the tail blades to a cut down set of KBDD's at 100mm lenght. I may yet maiden the partially finished heli this weekend. Man, I can just taste the scale parts........

Don
11T pinion... is that with the stock 112T main gear?

By the way that is one awesome looking bird. Congrats
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
I got the head setup last night and this afternoon. The making of the linkages is something of a instance of making things twice. The first time is to take what you have at hand and modify it to do the job and the second time is where you analyse how you got there and what you can do to improve the parts. It took a number of hours of searching various parts suppliers to see what parts from Align would make up the linkage and then what ball links and balls would do the job right. I ended up with 700 size 5mm balls in two lengths with large links from the 550/600/700 flybarless heads. It certainly makes them bullet-proof. The electronic setup went swimmingly and when I spooled it up, the tracking was dead nuts perfect. I don't have a lot of pitch nor collecitve movement yet the heli (no body on it yet) takes off like a scared jackrabbit.

The rotor is very quiet and there is a nice balance between motor/gear noise and rotor chop. I may have some changes to make to the software in the Skookum as it will nose forward without input as if in full forward flight but when the self levelling is kicked in, it maintains a perfectly level attitude so it may be a case of too much or too little Hiller (?) input. I have not completed the motor/gear setup so I was flying this in normal mode with the governor locked at 1700 rpm which is a bit high for final but since it is so quiet, it would be hard to tell that it is rotating that fast. I got a few more pictures tonight at the club so I hope to get them uploaded in the next few days. The semi-symetrical blades were perfectly balanced and were a snap to install in the Century head. I finally need to remove a blade to transport this heli but a torque adjustable screwdriver makes installation and removal a snap and very consistant tension to boot.

I did not bother to test the modified tail assembly as I felt that it will be as same as the original unit once it is installed. I also did a full collective pullout and the tail held perfectly at 1700 rpm. My target rpm is 1600 as a maximum with 1500 as a cruising rpm level. I will be making up a set of 100mm scale-like tail blades from a set of KBDD blue 105mm units. With some reshaping of the root, they will be the right colour with only some slight detail paint needed on the leading edge and the tips painted yellow. I know, where are the pics. Very soon. Take care.

Don
ON your Century head... I noticed that it takes either 12mm or 10mm shaft... did you have to re-drill the jesus bolt hole to fit the 4mm bolt or did you use the stock jesus bolt on the head?

I have a 4 blade Century head and had to cut the shaft to get the head to fit on the main shaft and ended up drilling the hole to 4mm but I was just wondering if you did or just used the 3mm bolt.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,067 Posts
Can't wait too see it when your finished pic's and Video
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,465 Posts
josereyes:

Yes, I used an 11 tooth pinion with the 112 tooth main gear but as I pointed out, I needed to get the KDS Direct motor mount to use it as the stock one is non-adjustable. The head is sleaved down to 10mm from 12mm but a very well made part and uses a clamping ring to make sure it is snug (if yours is any different than mine) I did cut down the shaft a small amount to let the holes line up then drilled the shaft for the 4mm jesus bolt. It was fairly easy to mount it but the hardest part was getting a good solid set of ball links to take the power this heli can dish out. I ended up with Align T-rex 700 Nitro 5mm balls for the swash and the blade grips then using links from the 600EFL to make up the dimensions to link the swash to the grips. The servo links are original but one day I may change those from the 4.8mm to the 5mm balls just because it is possible. Hope this helps.

Don
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
josereyes:

Yes, I used an 11 tooth pinion with the 112 tooth main gear but as I pointed out, I needed to get the KDS Direct motor mount to use it as the stock one is non-adjustable. The head is sleaved down to 10mm from 12mm but a very well made part and uses a clamping ring to make sure it is snug (if yours is any different than mine) I did cut down the shaft a small amount to let the holes line up then drilled the shaft for the 4mm jesus bolt. It was fairly easy to mount it but the hardest part was getting a good solid set of ball links to take the power this heli can dish out. I ended up with Align T-rex 700 Nitro 5mm balls for the swash and the blade grips then using links from the 600EFL to make up the dimensions to link the swash to the grips. The servo links are original but one day I may change those from the 4.8mm to the 5mm balls just because it is possible. Hope this helps.

Don
Yes,, thanks.. love the heli, gear job....
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:15 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,465 Posts
Some pictures from this morning and this evening. I managed to get one sliding window made and this is the result. I will plug at the second side over the next few days as I want more air time than worry about the details that I will have lots of time to do over the next month or so. Some of these turned out really nice. Take care.

Don

Colours look great

Tail blades in progress. The grips will be painted too.

Main rotor and blades after paint

First sliding window treatment

Some of the lights on and the sunset in reflection

Twin landing lights