HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:08 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
You mentioned the fuselage is backordered, so I would assume that the version option is still open for you.

With this in mind, might I add to your thread a little comparison between the 1:1 and the Funkey skid positions. Maybe an unpainted fuselage could be had for less $$, and with a little tinkering, more-scale results

Gotta say, the Funkey profile is darn nice, just gotta move those skids back and it'll be real sweet. Now if Heli-world would get stock in those unpainted ones again I'd probably be jumping on one also...
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:03 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
Call Heli-World.com on the phone they just got a shippment of their Fun-Key fuselage instock , but the person who updates their website is setting on his or her hands and won't update the website.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:29 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Yup, that's the one, sigh.

Century USA has got their shipment in and Leisure Tech's order is anticipated to arrive in Vancouver today or tomorrow. The shipping problem across the border comes from UPS, et al, charging exhorbitant brokerage fees when there really is no need for it. They charge the consumer as if they are businesses so the only way I will have stuff shipped is USPS. Duty, I can take, taxes (when charged), I can take that too, but a 45 dollar extortion fee? NO WAY. Thanks for the comparison to the full sized heli but since it is a semi-scale kit, I can live with the differences. It will still be the largest heli I own and lots of guys at the club are really waiting to see this heli as there are precious few scalers in the club (heli, that is) and the last known large scale heli was sold after a scale fly-in a couple of years ago. It was a huey and may have been a gasser or turbine. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Last edited by Keyrigger; Aug 08, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Ok, so the body is in, parts are starting to flow, and I am having the time of my life. This combination of the Century body kit and the Align 600 Pro is NOT for the mechanically challenged or for the parts assembler only. This is going to require a large number of modifications to the kit, scale mechanical parts, and the main part of the Pro chassis. I have made up adaptor plates to mount the chassis, cut a tail assembly to allow better fitting in the boom, and have been juggling lengths of ball links, link rods, and finding out how much movement must be taken off the 3D setup to make it compatible with the scale swashplate and head. Even the head needs some changes to the blade grip ball links, as supplied, are way too short, and the ones suggested are far too long. The supplied ball links let the pitch link arm link bind up on the arm under the ball.

I have been taking pictures from the start but have not had a chance to transfer them from my camera to Photobucket, but they will be posted soon. If you have been used to the good paint jobs on the Century kits, this one will shock you. It is not only painted by some really good airbrush artists, it is fully detailed (hinges, latches, and other goodies) beyond anything I have seen yet from anyone, including Vario!!! The amazing bonus is that the entire body is already aged and they have not used tape for the panel lines, but a dark wash of paint to accentuate the existing line details. That also goes for any raised detail like vents, door hinges, and screw points. WOW. The only drawback for us electric mechanical users is that the bottom of the body is pre-vented for nitro installations. I got way more than I expected and hope to do this one justice. I hope to test out the mechanics later in the week as soon as I raid the local hobby shops for ball links that I am short of for the modifications to be done. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Looking forward to those build pics!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
I got the head setup last night and this afternoon. The making of the linkages is something of a instance of making things twice. The first time is to take what you have at hand and modify it to do the job and the second time is where you analyse how you got there and what you can do to improve the parts. It took a number of hours of searching various parts suppliers to see what parts from Align would make up the linkage and then what ball links and balls would do the job right. I ended up with 700 size 5mm balls in two lengths with large links from the 550/600/700 flybarless heads. It certainly makes them bullet-proof. The electronic setup went swimmingly and when I spooled it up, the tracking was dead nuts perfect. I don't have a lot of pitch nor collecitve movement yet the heli (no body on it yet) takes off like a scared jackrabbit.

The rotor is very quiet and there is a nice balance between motor/gear noise and rotor chop. I may have some changes to make to the software in the Skookum as it will nose forward without input as if in full forward flight but when the self levelling is kicked in, it maintains a perfectly level attitude so it may be a case of too much or too little Hiller (?) input. I have not completed the motor/gear setup so I was flying this in normal mode with the governor locked at 1700 rpm which is a bit high for final but since it is so quiet, it would be hard to tell that it is rotating that fast. I got a few more pictures tonight at the club so I hope to get them uploaded in the next few days. The semi-symetrical blades were perfectly balanced and were a snap to install in the Century head. I finally need to remove a blade to transport this heli but a torque adjustable screwdriver makes installation and removal a snap and very consistant tension to boot.

I did not bother to test the modified tail assembly as I felt that it will be as same as the original unit once it is installed. I also did a full collective pullout and the tail held perfectly at 1700 rpm. My target rpm is 1600 as a maximum with 1500 as a cruising rpm level. I will be making up a set of 100mm scale-like tail blades from a set of KBDD blue 105mm units. With some reshaping of the root, they will be the right colour with only some slight detail paint needed on the leading edge and the tips painted yellow. I know, where are the pics. Very soon. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Pics so far

Here are some pictures of what is done already. The nose is going to be removed and some form of flat mount for either the ESC and BEC or the electronics battery will be placed there. The spacers are not the only ones involved but include the aluminium posts that are in the picture of the trial fitting of the mechanics. Take care.

Don

Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,682 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.

I see you are using the Rotor Tech "66" series 3D blades on your Logo. How do you like them?

The Rotor Tech blades have been my favorite blades for many years now.

I really like their "66" series for 3D and their "01" series for scale and lower head speeds (1400 to 1800) type of flying.

I also liked both series on my FBL helis, but I noticed they now have some FBL specific blades which I will have to try some one of these days.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:50 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
rotoraddict:

I like the blades on the Logo but may change to a shorter 520mm length set of Aligns that I have sitting around. Those are 560mm long and can create a lot of torque that is not always desireable. I have already stripped one main gear on the Logo by a very abrupt pull-out and there are no local suppliers for those parts, sigh.

As an update, I have changed the pinion to the 11t from the 13t and changed the motor mount to the KDS Direct adjustable. According to the software from CC, I have a maximum rpm of 1910 and I have set the startup to 1450, a midrange at 1575, and a top speed of 1600. I have also changed the tail blades to a cut down set of KBDD's at 100mm lenght. I may yet maiden the partially finished heli this weekend. Man, I can just taste the scale parts........

Don
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Cool stuff, cant wait to see it together.

Could you do me a favor...what is the distance from the upper boom area centerline to the top of cowling where the main rotor opening is? Trying to get a feel how my T500 stretch idea would work with this fuselage...

Also, if you could...about how wide is that upper boom area internally?

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:21 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
SidewaysLS4:

As I can see it, the distance from the top of the cowl to the centre of the boom tunnel is 3.7". The first time I measured it, I got around 3.6" (90mm) but that didn't seem to put it dead centre. The factory spec is 90mm. The tunnel is just a bit over 1" and the area where the tail housing sits is just under 1", maybe .9-.95", depending on flex of the fibreglass.

This evening, I got in a couple more flights and the blue tail blades have tons of authority even at 1450 rpm. I was able to do one nice aileron roll and the blades are not able to deflect enough to make me worry. This head is not a flapper, but a rigid rotor, with lead/lag only. I think I have the blades a bit tight as there is a bit of wobble on startup, but not so much as a wimper at speed. Now, unless I am reading the log wrong, I have no vibration levels to speak off with this current setup. I have not heard of that but given the care I took to balance things out, I am pleased that it seems possible. The system draws 20 amps average with the occasional spike to 40 amps. That's a far cry from 35 amp average with spikes up to 100, lol. Now granted, I am not doing 3D with it now, so low amperage draws should be the norm. Got to run. Take care.

Don
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Today was landing gear and lighting day. Woa. The gear is not as simple to install properly as the instructions make it out to be. It is very easy to make a mistake without really doing anything wrong. The manual instructs you to put the tip of the skid 127mm in front of the first landing gear. Well, depending on exactly where you mount the brackets for the walking plate, yes it will work but mine ended up at 129mm to put the bracket screws in the middle of the skid tip. The height for the walking plate screw was right on and the gear fit perfectly in the holes, in fact, too perfectly. I needed to use some lube to get the gear to install in the blocks but once done, they slide in like they have been in and out thousands of times.

The running lights in the horizontal tail proved to be a challenge as there are no holes for lighting harnesses so you need either a very long drill to come in from the marker or open a slot in the underside of the surface and then get at the former from the centre of the horizontal tail. I had a couple of boo-boo's but nothing a little touch-up paint won't fix. The tail strobe housing is useless as it is glued together and does not have a hole for an LED. I ended up using the housing from the RCLights kit I have for it and the installation was simple. The top red beacon is the way the strobe should be and it looks great.

In all these years, I have never EVER used hot melt glue for anything RC as I always looked at it as a craft tool, not a hobby grade tool. Today, I used it for the first time to help with the installation of the running lights in the housings and to hold down wires from them. Learn something new every day. I hope to get the mechanics on their way in tomorrow and that will leave Friday for final details before its maiden flight with the body on the weekend. Take care and I hope to get some pictures tomorrow.

Don
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
More pictures. A lot was done today and this will be in the air this weekend, but nowhere near completed. I will have the canopy on it and maybe the front light setup but I don't plan to have it operational just yet. I may have gone overboard with adding the screws to the windscreen as there are 96 blade screws from the Blade mCX required to install it properly with the right spacing. That took hours tonight, alone, and that was only drilling the holes and adding 22 of the screws to the centre bar (my addition). Take care.

Don

Final spacers.

Battery position for the future.

Tail rotor installation details

Tail cover on.

I've lost my mind.
Last edited by Keyrigger; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Incorrect link fixed
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:25 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
The windscreen finished and the heli ready for test flight tomorrow. That's 92 scews and 70 of them are holding the windscreen on to the body, lol. That is one windscreen that will stay put without any glue whatsoever, lol. Take care.

Don

Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:48 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Looking good! I gotta say, that paint job sure has a lot of nice detailing on it