HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:19 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Discussion
Micro FPV and where it will take us....

Lately I have started flying a lot more FPV. When ever I had a moment and the weather was cooperative I would find myself running to the neareast field to fly my larger aircraft. Then I began to read more about micro FPV attempts and found a few vendors carrying light weight equiptment. My Idea was to install a micro setup in my Blade mQx, which I did. This really helped me in many ways, learning to fly side to side and backwards, hovering in a single spot. I am able to fly indoors anytime of the day or night, rain or shine. At times I would take the mQx outdoors and it would perform well but I felt like I needed to put a micro setup in a micro wing. So, after doing a few quick measurement and cutting a few panels I came up with my newest scratchbuild. It needs a name though....

ApachePilot
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Last edited by ApachePilot; Jul 12, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Sep 2007
764 Posts
really cool. I vote for "The Moth".

Mount the camera slightly under and behind the leading edge and you will have less to fix when you hit stuff in my experience.
benderfly is offline Find More Posts by benderfly
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApachePilot View Post
It needs a name though....

ApachePilot

Lockout..

(spektrum stickers lolololoololololol)
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Lockout..

The 'moth' works, looks good, breakdown of equipment used and links please!
flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Lockout.......

I agree.... Though this is for backyard flying only..... I will be using 72mHz for longer range, and will increase span to 24" for UHF.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Lockout..

Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:35 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,404 Posts
it's a cool project indeed. What's the AUW, wingspan?
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:40 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
That looks great man! Have you flown her yet?
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Yep, video will be posted in a bit....flies similar to the UM Styker. Motor and battery come from the styker, swapped out the Rx/esc of the styker for a 10A ( a bit large) 2-9gram servos (agaiin a bit of overkill). 20"span...

More details to follow, need to get a weight and other measurements.... This was basically a test platform I sketched up quickly,and glued together using the KFm4 airfoil. Future build of final model will have mods incorperated along with lighter equiptment....

ApachePilot
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:04 PM
The Netherlands, OV, Oldenzaal
Joined Jul 2010
355 Posts
Quote:
Lately I have started flying a lot more FPV. When ever I had a moment and the weather was cooperative I would find myself running to the neareast field to fly my larger aircraft. Then I began to read more about micro FPV attempts and found a few vendors carrying light weight equiptment. My Idea was to install a micro setup in my Blade mQx, which I did. This really helped me in many ways, learning to fly side to side and backwards, hovering in a single spot. I am able to fly indoors anytime of the day or night, rain or shine. At times I would take the mQx outdoors and it would perform well but I felt like I needed to put a micro setup in a micro wing. So, after doing a few quick measurement and cutting a few panels I came up with my newest scratchbuild. It needs a name though....

ApachePilot
Hey psst.
Remove your private stuff.
D-OCHO is offline Find More Posts by D-OCHO
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:27 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
???
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:50 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Took me a minute, but he's referring to your info on your plane pics in the first post.

I've been interested in micro FPV for a while. What kind of range would you expect to get? Mind sharing your setup details?
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
I see...I haven't included any info beneath the pics. I will edit them to include details.

To answer your question, when running 72mHz micro rx, I hope to get a couple miles solid RC link. Video will be 5.8gHz 200mw unit with cloverleaf on vTx and helical on vRx ground station, this should also give me 2 miles solid range. I know both the RC link and video link can go further, but I am slowing making my way through this project. End result, rock solid performance via rc link AND video link, not glitching, no multipathing..... I am hopeful, we'll see how it goes.... Final, I want a setup with 1-10 miles rock solid range/video, not snow, multipathing lines etc....
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize the micro stuff had that much capability. I remember watching a couple of videos not even a year ago and the video would go out at very short range.
BTW, I think you've still misunderstood the post about your private info. In your first post, one of the pics has your name, phone #, and address visible. Not a good idea to show that to the world
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
noted, just a habit of putting it on all my planes.....
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
To answer your question, when running 72mHz micro rx, I hope to get a couple miles solid RC link
Wishful thinking my friend, using a full size 72mHz rx most people get 3/4 a mile to 1.5 maybe 2 if they are lucky. Looking forward to hearing your results though. Good luck!
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13