Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:15 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
741 Posts
Not sure I can grasp what you need to know on the hinge front - on my tug and other large aircraft, I use the large Robart knuckle hinges, epoxied in securely. On a built up wing this usually means adding blocks in front of the false TE to accept some of the barbs. On a foam wing, usually the false TE is man enough, and there is foam beyond it to accept some epoxy.

Shiney finish on fibreglass - can come from a moulded part, where a thin gel coat is laid down before the rest of the laminations. Or, a lot of filler and a lot of sanding (wet & dry) if it is laid up over an existing structure. I tend to use a thin coat of water soluble PU varnish, thickened with talcum powder to fill the weave once the first coats of PU have gone "green" and tacky. Then you can blow this over with high build primer, before sanding back again and again before the top coats. Then laquer.
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:44 AM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade View Post
Not sure I can grasp what you need to know on the hinge front - on my tug and other large aircraft, I use the large Robart knuckle hinges, epoxied in securely. On a built up wing this usually means adding blocks in front of the false TE to accept some of the barbs. On a foam wing, usually the false TE is man enough, and there is foam beyond it to accept some epoxy.

Shiney finish on fibreglass - can come from a moulded part, where a thin gel coat is laid down before the rest of the laminations. Or, a lot of filler and a lot of sanding (wet & dry) if it is laid up over an existing structure. I tend to use a thin coat of water soluble PU varnish, thickened with talcum powder to fill the weave once the first coats of PU have gone "green" and tacky. Then you can blow this over with high build primer, before sanding back again and again before the top coats. Then laquer.
Cheers for the advice o the hinges, I have done some research, and it seems the only way to do a decent non breakable hinge is to use some reinforced tape, or kevlar, so ive got hold of some kevlar, and will use a strip of this full length down the surface.. that should stop my careless bumping of the plane in the house from breaking!

I am going to take your advice and try a primer, and the pu and powder, i'll do a few test pieces first. I guess the talcum powder is a substitute for microballoons.

No flying this weekend, just got back from a rained out day, went to the field, but the skies opened! the darned british weather!

Fingers crossed for a decent flight and soem video next weekend,

Thanks again for your help!
RIch
richie967 is offline Find More Posts by richie967
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:05 AM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
278 Posts
Its a good job the weather was rubbish, as the motor isnt working anyway...

Motor won't turn...does anyone know anything about ESC's?

Hi chaps, can anyone help with the issue I am having to do with the motor. for some reason the ESC I am using doesn't even beep, or initialize when it's plugged into the ar6200 rx.

The only thing that's changed since it worked is that I the specified programming card and changed the settings. The esc seems to be working still, as when i plug the programming card in, it beeps, and is able to write settings to the esc. I've been racking my brains out trying to figure out why it wont initialize...

Here are the 12 or so settings, and what they are set to...

Timing: 18
Brake: off
Cut off type accuracy: Slow down
Cut off voltage: 3.1v
Cells: 4
Special functions: Beep short
Act Freew/Gov Mode: Freew off, gov off
Gov mode p gain: 0.9
Gov mode i gain: 0.05
Startup speed: Heli slow
PWM Freq: 8Khz
Startup power: Auto(1-32%)...

And here are all possible options:
Programming Options:
• Active free-wheeling circuit mode: Freew. off/Freew. on
• Govenor mode: Gov. off/Gov. store/Gov./fast Gov.
• Govenor mode P-gain: 0.7/0.9/1.2/1.4/1.6/1.9
• Govenor mode I-gain: 0.02/0.03/0.05/0.06/0.08/0.09
• Startup speed: Heli slow/Heli middle/Heli fast/Plane slow/Plane middle/Plane fast
• PWM frequency: 8kHz/9kHz/10kHz/12kHz/14kHz/16kHz
• Start-up power: Auto 1~32%/2%/4%/8%/16%/32%
• Motor timing: 0/6/12/18/24/30
• Brake: off/Acro/Acro hard/smooth/middle/hard
• Cut-off type: off/slow down/cut-off/NiMh/LiFe/LiPo
• Cut-off voltage (LiFe mode): 2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5/2.6/2.7
• Cut-off voltage (LiPo mode): 2.9/3.0/3.1/3.2/3.3/3.4
• Cells: 4/5/6/7/8/9
• Cells: 10/11/12/13/14/15
• Special functions: Beep short/Rev./Stop/Full speed/F3A brake/Auto timing

If anyone knows what i may have done to stop it from initializing, please could you let me know!

Cheers
Rich
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
278 Posts
Successful flight!

The plane has taken off, flown around, and landed with no problems, no breakages either!

Wind was about 10mph, gusting to 15mph-17mph, but felt a lot stronger when it was up there. It was also raining a bit, but as we'd driven there, completed assembly and done pre-flight checks, it had to be done! A bit of duck tape over the motor wiring, and it was pretty much rain-resistant!

The 2 large rear wheels helped a lot, and it rolled much better after a bit of a nudge on take-off, just need to replace the nose wheel for a 110mm/85mm diameter steerable wheel.

It rotated after about 30 meters or so and climbed very well on 80% throttle. It had very docile flight characteristics, and no nasty stall tendencies. It maintained altitude at about 30-40% throttle, but flying into wind required a bit more throttle.
Final approach and landing was a fairly straightforward affair, but mindful of the weaknesses in the main landing gear, i decided to go around for a second attempt, just to be on the safe side. It glided very well indeed. but I would like to do the next build a bit lighter, I could probably hand launch this if it were a bit lighter as well.

The Video...
First successful take off, flight, and landing by the prototype (1 min 7 sec)

I have definitely learnt a lot about airframe design, and construction techniques during this build. And this plane is by no means perfect. I am going to start gathering materials for the next airframe over the next few weeks, and commence a new build in the new year.

I'm thankful to everyone on here who has given me valuable hints and tips along the way, and hope to put all the information and feedback to good use in the next build....
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
741 Posts
Awesome well done looking forward to the version 2, but that one seems more than capable at the moment.

Happy landings!
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:29 AM
Indonesia, Lampung, Sukarame
Joined Dec 2009
46 Posts
finally! haha
benybee is offline Find More Posts by benybee