HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Build Log
Great Planes Floats 40 Build

I bought a Great Planes Float kit off of ebay and it just came in the mail today. Everything looks great, but there in no plans, just an instruction manual. Should there be some plans, it seems a little confusing?? Everything else is there though. Thanks
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:27 AM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
709 Posts
I built a set last year. Sorry, no plans included. The manual explains very well. Just follow step by step and pay attention to areas where there are different instructions are for the different sizes of floats. The same manual covers 40, 60 and 20 size floats. I cut down the weight in a number of places as they seem way over built to me. If you're going to land on grass or snow you may want to build them as they are. I only use mine on water so I tried to lighten them as much as possible. Managed to save over a pound on the pair.
Fast Guy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Thanks Fastguy, just disreguard that pm i sent you.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, MA, Norwood
Joined Apr 2009
227 Posts
Wow!

FG that plane is a beauty! Your balsa built up floats look amazing and your aluminum work is fantastic. Can I ask you for dimensions for your plane, wing width, and total weight?
SigPilot is offline Find More Posts by SigPilot
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPilot View Post
FG that plane is a beauty! Your balsa built up floats look amazing and your aluminum work is fantastic. Can I ask you for dimensions for your plane, wing width, and total weight?
Thanks for the kind words. I put alot of work into it. The plane is a Hobbico ElectriStar RTF that was my first plane and the one I learned to fly with. The wing span is 63" with a flying weight of 5.5 lbs with a 4s 4000 25c lipo on the stock plane with wheels. My float equiped ElectriStar has a heavier motor ( Rimfire .55 42-60-480 ) , runs on 6s 4000 25c and weights in at 7.5 lbs. These weights include the battery. Can get 8 min. of energetic flight or 12 min. of mixed flight with 30% battery remaining.
Fast Guy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Well I got one float done. I know it has taken a while, but I am going to really hammer down and get them done. We have a float fly a week from Sunday. Now I am looking at different sealing options. I know that I could do glass cloth and epoxy, but I would like to get something that I buy from Menards so I don't have to pay for shipping. So what is a good, fuel proof sealer that I can get at an everyday hardware store. I will also need a good spray paint for them too.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Floats

Well this was supposed to be a build log, but since I haven't taken any pics of the build I thought I better post some of the almost finished prouduct. painted them red and now I have been applying coat after coat of rustoleum boat sealer and it seems to be holding up great.