HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Discussion
4.3.8 First impressions

Flew 8 flights today with the new firm. I have to say WOW! I had been on ver 3 prior to today. I primarily fly manual but thought I should try some of the GPS features. I really like how you have softened up AL. It seems much more usable to me now. Position hold works quite well now too. The RTH is much smoother as well. I did notice a fairly dramatic yaw correction a time or two while in AL and PH. It doesn't seem to correlate to any particular flight condition. Winds were low... I will continue to do tests. I try to get 20 or so flights on a new firm before doing any commercial work. I'll be eager to see if anyone else is seeing this with the new firm as the new AL has peaked my interest in possibly using it for shoots. I don't have any video as I always remove the camera and replace it with a dummy one when testing new firmware. It could be in my head but it seems to me that manual mode is even smoother than before. I love the new compass calibration method. It's so nice not to have to drag a laptop out with me.

Thanks again HF team. It's not lip service when I say I am continually amazed at how well you guys continue to improve things for us.
JZSlenker is online now Find More Posts by JZSlenker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,783 Posts
What AH gain is everyone using?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:24 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
RC Man I had mine on the software reading 50. My Hexa weighs 3.5 kg and hovers at 40% throttle.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:13 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Everything works great!

I have been flying with the new firmware for a few days now and It works great! The new auto-leveling adjustment feature is very nice. I tried it on the smooth setting to see how it reacts and it appears to slow down its correction time which is good for video. The PH and RTH seem to work pretty well. The AH is fixed to. Thanks for all the hard work Hoverfly.
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
To be honest I cant feel any difference in flight between this firm and ghe latest 3.x
Manual mode and autolevel flights as nice as before. Have not tested the AL softness. The PH seems to be as bad as before, in fact it holds position better in AL than in PH, but unless it can achieve someday the same accuracy of a wkm dji I will not use it. RTH not tested. Altitude Hold performs better today but looks like it has been tamed again the altitude stick control.
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:20 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elossam View Post
To be honest I cant feel any difference in flight between this firm and ghe latest 3.x
Manual mode and autolevel flights as nice as before. Have not tested the AL softness. The PH seems to be as bad as before, in fact it holds position better in AL than in PH, but unless it can achieve someday the same accuracy of a wkm dji I will not use it. RTH not tested. Altitude Hold performs better today but looks like it has been tamed again the altitude stick control.
What PH accuracy do other brands have?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
HFP yesterday PH, if working, makes what it wants and drifts 10 meters without signs of any correction. Each time to different directions. In AL it stays better. A WKM DJI lets me manually play with the camera settings if I want while hovering as it stays locked withcentimeters accuray.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:12 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
cm in PH with a breeze...... I'd have to see it.

I own a WKM and it too is better in Auto Level than PH.

But there are many many many variables. .
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,783 Posts
Quote:
HFP yesterday PH, if working, makes what it wants and drifts 10 meters without signs of any correction. Each time to different directions. In AL it stays better. A WKM DJI lets me manually play with the camera settings if I want while hovering as it stays locked withcentimeters accuray.
Sounds like the GPS is not doing anything. Are you sure that the GPS is working and that you have same firmware on both boards?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Im sure both boatds run the same firm, all calibrations done and AL trimed. I let it in Ph and sudddnly it orders to go right or sometimes left to make the ufo go out target position. Gps led is blue and compass is working within 5 of error. Test done in fully calm day with no wind. In such conditions the wkm can hold a PH as it was fixed with wires.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
More flights today. Its working well.
JZSlenker is online now Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
a couple comments.

1. Make sure you are flying 4.3.800 (the latest firmware)
2. Make sure that you run temperature compensation and accelerometer calibration.
3. Autoleveling must be trimmed out so it is basically hands off.

Only then should you engage position hold and expect pretty good results.

Quote:
Im sure both boatds run the same firm, all calibrations done and AL trimed. I let it in Ph and sudddnly it orders to go right or sometimes left to make the ufo go out target position. Gps led is blue and compass is working within 5 of error. Test done in fully calm day with no wind. In such conditions the wkm can hold a PH as it was fixed with wires.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor