HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Dec 2005
102 Posts
Discussion
best FPV 5.8ghz TX/RX Combo?

hI all, working towards getting the best fpv setup i can afford (*within reason*)

I have monitor & goggles sorted and a camera im now looking at 5.8ghz setups

Wondered what most people here use?

I've been looking at the dragonlink & a couple of others most of them seem to be in the region of £100-£200 (500mw, 6Mhz Video bandwidth)

Any recommendations or warnings?

I know the stock antennas are fairly useless most places seem to be recommending cloverleaf or scew planner type antennas not sure where the best place to buy these from is
mimic is offline Find More Posts by mimic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
SkyRF 200mw 5.8Ghz (a.k.a Foxtech, BevRC, HobbyKing) with receiver RC305 (~65$ for both)
ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8Ghz with AirWave receiver or their Uno receiver (~70tx + ~60$rx)

For the CloverLeaf/SkewPlanar, you can build it yourself (look at IBCrazy's thread) or you can buy the genuine ones on readymaderc.com

For warning
Don't get the SkyRF 500mw version (aka Foxtech, Bevrc, HobbyKing)
If you get the SkyRF transmister, make sure the wire are correct, look at my post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641135
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007 View Post
SkyRF 200mw 5.8Ghz (a.k.a Foxtech, BevRC, HobbyKing) with receiver RC305 (~65$ for both)
ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8Ghz with AirWave receiver or their Uno receiver (~70tx + ~60$rx)

For the CloverLeaf/SkewPlanar, you can build it yourself (look at IBCrazy's thread) or you can buy the genuine ones on readymaderc.com

For warning
If you get the SkyRF transmister, make sure the wire are correct, look at my post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641135
When you say Tx wires might not be correct, do you mean the input from the battery to power the Tx or the output from the Tx to power the camera may be reversed?

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:33 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
When you say Tx wires might not be correct, do you mean the input from the battery to power the Tx or the output from the Tx to power the camera may be reversed?

-l2t
Well mine was OK but some have reported that the wires (specially Video-in and + for the cam) was inverted.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Dec 2005
102 Posts
Quote:

For warning
had a look at the immersionrc 600mw tx i must say it looks to be extremely good value and also very light weight, Do you know its video bandwidth?? im having some trouble equating TVL to Resolution, basically the native resolution on the headplays is 800x600 so for the best quality i really want an 800x600 camera and a Tx/Rx combo that can send a signal that wide, i learned the hard way that the cheaper tx/rx sets are limited to 380tvl so even with the best camera and goggles you still get a sucky picture...

other question would be can you use any 5.8ghz RX with this TX or is there a prefered model that gives the best results

I really appreciate your time in answering, I do hold a UK amateur radio licence and i am legally allowed to use these bands before anyone jumps on me, im not a total noob i have been flying helicopters for nearly ten years but i'm well aware this is a totally different ball game

I'm also well aware that you guys have a hell of alot more experience than me so rather than jump in the deep end and waste a stack of cash on what i *think* is the best kit and end up looking St00pid , sorely disappointed and also aircraft less

I'd really like to hear from those of you that have found winning combinations
mimic is offline Find More Posts by mimic
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,229 Posts
beware immersion tx's will only work with airwave module's..Fatshark product..
will not be compatible with those mention above..
pay attention to the frequency..
emersion/fatshark numbers ends with a "0", others with a "no.#"

barok is online now Find More Posts by barok
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Jul 2010
833 Posts
Quote:

Looks like the cheaper system with the CP antennae would cost about the same as the more expensive system.

You think the 200mw system with the CP sticks would be good enough for noodling around the field line-of-sight or better the 600mw with stock whips, or suck it up and buy the 600mw with the CP sticks?

-l2t
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
Looks like the cheaper system with the CP antennae would cost about the same as the more expensive system.

You think the 200mw system with the CP sticks would be good enough for noodling around the field line-of-sight or better the 600mw with stock whips, or suck it up and buy the 600mw with the CP sticks?

-l2t
yes, the generic 200mw vtx and a RC305 vrx with a CL and SPW will be plenty for your needs. There are people getting 20 + kms with this transmitter so it is more than capable.

I personally chose the immersionRC 600mw vtx because i can use it with the fatsharks inbuilt vrx when i just want to shoot out for a quick session and cant be bothered setting up the GS.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:08 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimic View Post
had a look at the immersionrc 600mw tx i must say it looks to be extremely good value and also very light weight, Do you know its video bandwidth?? im having some trouble equating TVL to Resolution, basically the native resolution on the headplays is 800x600 so for the best quality i really want an 800x600 camera and a Tx/Rx combo that can send a signal that wide, i learned the hard way that the cheaper tx/rx sets are limited to 380tvl so even with the best camera and goggles you still get a sucky picture...

other question would be can you use any 5.8ghz RX with this TX or is there a prefered model that gives the best results

I really appreciate your time in answering, I do hold a UK amateur radio licence and i am legally allowed to use these bands before anyone jumps on me, im not a total noob i have been flying helicopters for nearly ten years but i'm well aware this is a totally different ball game

I'm also well aware that you guys have a hell of alot more experience than me so rather than jump in the deep end and waste a stack of cash on what i *think* is the best kit and end up looking St00pid , sorely disappointed and also aircraft less

I'd really like to hear from those of you that have found winning combinations
I believe a 600TVL is equivalent to 600 vertical pixels. So anything above that i suppose.

In regards to immersionRC vtx compatibility, as state above you are limited to airwave modules which pretty much means fatshark and immersionRC only as far as i am aware. If you just want a simple single rx ground station the immersionRC UNO is the go.

If you want to know what is my "winning" combo, its an immersionRC 600mw vtx with a CL and an immersionRC DUO (diversity receiver) with an SPW and a 5 turn helical. The beauty of this combo is its simplicity. I can take just my goggles (with built in vrx) and the plane and be flying within 10 seconds of finding a spot. or i can plug in a single battery to the all in one DUO and fly out to 3km (or more ???? depending on how keen you are) within 1 minute of finding a spot. But if you'd prefer to stuff around with 2 seperate VRX's and then a seperate diversity switch with AV and power cables going everywhere, then go for it.
Last edited by nogas; Jul 12, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:27 AM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,869 Posts
curious nogas, does the helical have enough gain to overcome some of the dropout problems when flying behind trees etc?

I'm thinking of ditching 5.8 (with CL/SPW) as the clarity just isn't good enough for scooting around bigger objects.
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:30 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,304 Posts
5.8 no good for behind trees and bushes.
i just changed to 1.2 for very reason on quad,still not perfect behind objects BUT way better than 5.8..
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDragonFlyer View Post
curious nogas, does the helical have enough gain to overcome some of the dropout problems when flying behind trees etc?

I'm thinking of ditching 5.8 (with CL/SPW) as the clarity just isn't good enough for scooting around bigger objects.
Actually i was pleasantly surprised to find the helical did seem to reduce the snowing when flying behind smaller trees. Its still there when i fly behind bigger (or heavier foliaged) trees but it is certainly better than the SPW was on its own.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Jul 2010
833 Posts
Quote:
That looks like a good entry level setup to hack around on.

Any suggestions for camera?

I looked at the foxtech site as they have a good price on the tx/rx combo. No idea what would be a decent camera.

I would assume in the US, I want NTSC as that's what most monitors will support.

And of course, 12V.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
I love this camera:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

It's the SecurityCamera2000 PZ0420
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
yes, the generic 200mw vtx and a RC305 vrx with a CL and SPW will be plenty for your needs. There are people getting 20 + kms with this transmitter so it is more than capable.
Like he said.