HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Question
Help with elogger V3 and GPS expander V3

Hi

I have an eLogger V3 and a GPS Expander V3 that I bought in 2009. I have upgraded the software yesterday to 10.04 as I could not get what I was trying to achieve to work.

I bought this equipment for some FPV flying at that time but I now want to use it to record my flight path of my aerobatic flights and look at them in 3D on Google Earth as a training aid.

Is this possible? After I download the data from the eLogger onto the data recorder software I have tried to "Save for Google Earth..." and also tried to "Save for Google Earth track...". Both give me unwanted results

When trying "Save for Google Earth..." it seems to just draw a semi dotted line around the equator on Google Earth

When trying "Save for Google Earth track..." it gives me a flat path on the ground and does not show any elevation. My other problem with this option is its also not accurate and jumps to areas way off where I have gone. I'm not sure if this is because some of the flight is inverted and the GPS expander is now also inverted. A friend of mine is doing this in his patternship with his hitec radio and GPS module and not having any problems even though his GPS is stuck to the undercarriage inside the plane. My GPS is sitting in the cockpit area and can be seen though the canopy.

I'm not much of a electrics guru so if someone can please help me.
Thank you for any help
talkthetorque is offline Find More Posts by talkthetorque
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi, I think that if you upgrade to our latest "beta" software from here, the issue will be solved. Google Earth made some changes that requires our new software.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Thank you very much this seems to have helped and I now have elevation in Google Earth. I'm still having a problem as discussed with the accuracy and jumping around. Is this because the GPS is going upside down at times? Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks again for your help
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi, would you be able to post a screenshot of the jumping around? I'd need to see that (or get a .FDR file) to determine what the cause might be.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Hi Bill.

The first image is the track and the 2nd image is a 3D image. The tags on the 1st image are showing points where I didnt go and there are many of those points I did not tag. The lowest tag is actually behind me and I definitively didnt go there. This is a e-flite brio I used for the test so I didnt fly far. I started by taking off and then doing some basic aerobatics, loops, square loops, triangle loops, stall turns etc. But when I follow the flight path it doesnt look similar to the order of my flight. Maybe I'm doing this wrong, should I redo a flight after I update the sofware or can I use an existing flight recorded? Is there any electronics I should keep the elogger and GPS away from? I had it mounted on top of my 3s 2200mah lipo. Not much space in the mini Brio. Thanks

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5026272&stc=1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5026273&stc=1
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi, and thanks for posting the images. Most likely, based on the data, the issue is with the sensitivity of the GPS V3. The GPS V4 (shipping for a couple of years now) is based on a newer generation chipset, which has improved sensitivity, and additional noise filtering.

But, another factor could be the position of the satellites when you flew, assuming you only flew once. GPS satellites move around a lot, so I'd try another flight before considering a hardware change.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Thanks Bill

I will run some more tests first
I appreciate all your help

regards