HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,592 Posts
Quote:
i still have to do some carving to get the battery forward for the cg to work. hope to maiden in the next day or two.
Yes, if you use 3300mAh battery.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:14 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2012
336 Posts
How many of these are actually available? I would love to get one, but can't till middle of november? and what are flight times like? I currently use a 3S 4000 in my A380 and as I have 3 of them would rather not have to buy more. I realise to use the 4000 some cutting will be required.
Spudz27 is offline Find More Posts by Spudz27
Last edited by Spudz27; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:49 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
Rob:
Where are you setting your balance at? Hope to fly mine on Friday if the winds die down. I'm using a Turnigy 3S 3300 battery.
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:32 AM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
Not vinyl. I sanded the fuse with 600 grit paper. Then I mixed some microballoons and WBPU and gave it one coat. Sanded that down smooth. Then sprayed one coat of white Krylon Fusion for plastic paint. Then one more coat of WBPU by itself Came out ok, Same process for the tail. Hope to get it airborne next week!
H F
What % of microballoons and WBPU did you use, I would like to give it a try

Mike
limodune is online now Find More Posts by limodune
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:32 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
h.flyin.... for now i'm going to start with a turnigy 2650mah pack, i've got a bunch of these and use them in several twins. with the model upside down and my fingers tips at the updated cg (5mm behind that panel line) the model hangs slightly nose down. figured that will serve as a good starting point for the maiden. not sure how long my flight times will be but second choice is to gang two 2200mah packs together.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:41 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Just ordered mine today! Woot!
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:38 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limodune View Post
H F
What % of microballoons and WBPU did you use, I would like to give it a try

Mike
Dont know exact percentages. Just mixed by eye to a creamy like consistency. It's a bit of extra work but the results are pretty good. Just use light coats. I found out if it goes on too thick it's a major pain to sand when dry.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
All done and ready to go. Going to try to maiden tomorrow weather permitting.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2012
336 Posts
Looks really good mate. Good luck with the maiden.
Spudz27 is offline Find More Posts by Spudz27
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:49 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
Darn! Couldn't get it in the air. Had an issue with one of the motors. Was running intermittently at high rpm. Came home and found out was just a loose connector. May try again tomorrow depending on the wind and kids soccer schedule. Just did some taxi tests. Looks good. Will try to post some video if I figure out how to do that
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Looks slick. How does microballoon compare to the liquid covering from.WOW models? I am not really familure with micro balloons, can you enlighten me?

Thanks,
Mike
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:08 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
Never tried that WOW stuff so I cant compare them. I do have a WOW B-17 but I just spray painted that thing. Looks pretty plain. The microballoons are a fine powder and mixed with the WBPU give a pretty good finish. I only used one coat but I think if you have patience and time and use several light coats with sanding in between you can achieve a really good look.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:54 PM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Thanks for the response. I am drooling at buying that plane. That I don't need. In fact I sold my Eflight ANA version 1.5 years ago, because I felt that I put too much into it and that if it crashed, there was no rebuilding it. The Windrider is almost cheaper to get it up and running. It appears that the plane is made out of Styro Foam? How durable is it? How come more people do not have them? I can not find many videos or reviews of it. Only vids are from Ming's link. Are you flyin it with stock electronics?

Thanks again,

Mike
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:20 AM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
Going to fly it with the electronics that came with it. Futaba FASST 7 channel receiver and 3S 3000 and 3S3300 batteries. It's EPO foam so should handle some bumps and bruises ok. If you decide to not paint it and put it together right out of the box you can have it flight ready in about 1 hour. Our club is having a FunFly on November 3rd so hope to get it in the air then weather permitting. Tradewinds here in Hawaii can be pretty nasty sometimes.
Think Ming is offering free shipping so now would be a great time to buy one.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
h..flyin,

your jet looks great! beautiful job on the finish. i got mine up for its maiden a couple of days ago (sorry, no video). first flight went great. easy to track on the ground, power good, nice, stable flyer. on the second flight my motors started to surge and i barely got it back down in one piece. discovered my 20c pack could not keep up. i'd recommend a good 30c pack(s) for this model.

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737