HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:47 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
I know the feeling well. At least your nacelle is in less pieces than mine. Actually got mine all glued back together. Just needs a little bondo (spackling paste) and paint, a new fan and it will be ready to go again.
Hawaiian.
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:48 AM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Ready to join the wings, but noticed the tube near the leading edge of the left wing is not aligned properly. See photos.....what now??
I notice in the picture the two tubes appear to be different sizes in the photo.
are they truely different on your wing or or they the same size,, Mine are the same size is there a difference in the models I wonder?

Also you mentioned mounting a gyro into the plane I assume you will be using it to stablize the wings in flight?
Plankdriver6 is offline Find More Posts by Plankdriver6
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:13 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankdriver6 View Post
I notice in the picture the two tubes appear to be different sizes in the photo.
are they truely different on your wing or or they the same size,, Mine are the same size is there a difference in the models I wonder?

Also you mentioned mounting a gyro into the plane I assume you will be using it to stablize the wings in flight?
They are the same size...I was able to "adjust" the hole in the foam to properly align the tube correctly, as they are not glued in place

Yup, that's the newest version of 3 axis Gyro from HobbyKing. In this version, you can switch it on or off from switch on transmitter. It's only about $17!
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
They are the same size...I was able to "adjust" the hole in the foam to properly align the tube correctly, as they are not glued in place

Yup, that's the newest version of 3 axis Gyro from HobbyKing. In this version, you can switch it on or off from switch on transmitter. It's only about $17!
Gary,

I know nothing about these gyros- do they passively stabilize by activating (as needed) the flight control servos to stabilize pitch, yaw and roll? I have heard (as I'm days away from getting my 777) that the model has a tendency to tail wag in flight- it has a yaw moment that could be improved.

Can you tell me more and provide details (when flown) as to how the gyro helps when you are flying it?
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:09 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Gary,

I know nothing about these gyros- do they passively stabilize by activating (as needed) the flight control servos to stabilize pitch, yaw and roll? I have heard (as I'm days away from getting my 777) that the model has a tendency to tail wag in flight- it has a yaw moment that could be improved.

Can you tell me more and provide details (when flown) as to how the gyro helps when you are flying it?
Doug; Yes, to both questions!

Info on this Gyro..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elta_AUX_.html

Instructions (for Version 1, the new version is similar, but has better pots, able to turn off/on with unused x-mitter channel/switch, and it is smaller and lighter

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X387263X40.pdf
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Does anyone know if the USA warehouse for Hobby King carries the Nano Techs 3S 11.1V 3300MAH batteries 45-90C, or do they have to be ordered from the overseas branch?
Last edited by Plankdriver6; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:29 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
329 Posts
You can check the USA warehouse inventory from their website. Just look for the search option that asks for your location.
Hawaiian
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Doug; Yes, to both questions!

Info on this Gyro..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elta_AUX_.html

Instructions (for Version 1, the new version is similar, but has better pots, able to turn off/on with unused x-mitter channel/switch, and it is smaller and lighter

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X387263X40.pdf
Thanks Gary- I'm sure there is a huge debate somewhere in the RC world if this eliminates "real" flying (whatever that means!) Looks like a neat product- I might pick one up for a test bird one day.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:38 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,860 Posts
Doug W

I have a couple of models using them with very good results.
and yes it wll reduce the dutch roll (tail wag)

but there best for windy condition's , makes the model fly
almost like there's no wind , to a certain degree?

what I mean is if the wind is blowing hard enought to blow
the model off the setup bench at the field this won't help
but in modrate winds they great
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
A few more newbie questions. I was looking at the EDF's and figuring out how I was going to apply covering in the Delta livery and noticed it appears the fans have been scraping on the EDF housings. On one fan it appears the blades have scraped about an inch, the second EDF blades have scrapped almost half way around. If these blades are doing this with the test run Ming stated they did on all the EDF units, do I have a problem?

I read in the 737 thread many were balancing the fans.

Has everyone here balanced the 777 EDF's? Is it common practice to balance all EDF's?

Ron
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:33 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
765 Posts
Doug,

Get this 6-channel AS3X

Neil
Smokin_Joes is online now Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:51 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,711 Posts
777 British Airways Decal Sticker:
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=221

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Jul 2010
488 Posts
WR777 Flaps

All,

A 777 flaps YouTube tutorial (hopefully narrated by William Shatner) will follow in the next couple weeks but these pictures should handle most of the questions…

I had to approach these flaps a bit differently, as the wing structure is smaller, the flaps system is different (B777s have a “flaperon” in between the inboard and outboard flaps), and importantly, I wanted to cut the flaps on the WR777 in a manner which did not in in anyway disrupt the upper portion of the wing and the molded spoilers, as I had to do with the WR737. There of course is enough room in the B737 wing to build spoilers, hence that approach made sense.
The key to fowler flap motion in any flap design is to have the hinge far below the flap as possible- and hidden by the canoes. To be sure, the canoes are there on the real aircraft to hide all of the various actuation mechanisms of the flaps.

Cutting the flaps
This seems scary, but the flaps are cut in two parts (the flaps are literally cut in half). To cut the outboard, cut down from the top of the wing at the spoiler recess line to the canoes. Then, using just an exact blade, cut the canoe out keeping it attached to the portion of the flap you just cut out, noting that you’ll need to cut the canoe out well ahead of the spoiler line (towards the LE). Once that is cut out, cut from underneath the spoilers on the molded flap line upwards , to just underneath (but not through the spoilers. Then cut underneath the spoilers, parallel to the surface of eth wing until you meet your other cut- you will have then cut a perfect 90 degree shape out of the wing (pictured.)

Flap Actuation
The WR777 wing was a bit of challenge because unlike the WR737, the canoes are already molded to the wing. I was tempted to remove them and hollow them out and recreate my WR737 flap mechanism but I used a very simple approach, that easily blends in, that doesn’t require the hollowing out of the canoes. I used Robart control surface hinges (the grey ones pictured- which blend in nicely), and drilled (by hand, not with a dremel), the pilot holes into the foam to accept them. They are then epoxied in. (Nope, they won’t come off inflight.)

I still have more to do, (including showing how I will set up the flaperon to operate with the flaps- it’s deceptively easy) but the rest (the servos, etc.) is a cakewalk and a repeat of the WR737 wing (sand the airfoil shape of the flaps, attach a hinge point low on the flap, two servo actuation, etc.. And, there’s plenty of room for servos between the multiple spars. Once it’s all installed and tested I’ll put the YouTube up.
More this weekend I expect…until I have set up the flaperon, it’s too tough to explain, but very easy to do.

Doug W (Chief of Flap Operations)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
350 Posts
Enjoying the Flap Master at work, interested on seeing it fly with the added lift as I have a dirt run way thats about 150FT and will be using it for take offs and landings. Its a rolled runway so it shpuld not have any debris that came get sucked in, unless it goes into my grass over runs.
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:28 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,711 Posts
Doug

Man, you make my design look not good enough!!!!!

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor