HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:00 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
Guess I'll go do that before I fly it again. Just need to try find some 4mm shafts or something like that. Somebody suggested to use drill bits. Might be an option. No wind today but skies are dark & gloomy. May go fly the FedEx 777 later if time permits. Hawaiian
Get some replacement 4mm motor shafts..they seem to work very well Drill bits are a little on the brittle side, and may snap instead of bend

Instead of epoxy or hot glue, I used the newer Gorilla Glue (faster dry/set time, is clear but dries white) to affix LG plates and firewalls. Instead of clamping the LG plate for 15-20 min while the glue sets and expands, I screwed the plate down to the wing at each corner with small sized course threaded screws intended for particle board.
You just drill holes in the plywood plate (NOT in the foam). They hold in the EPO pretty well. When glue is cured (about 5 or 6 hours, I removed the screws, put a drop of GG into the holes, wet the screws and reinserted them. It will take a horrific crash to dislodge those plates.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:08 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
323 Posts
:Thanks Bama. I already re glued the LG plates with the Gorilla Glue. Need to order some parts from Tower Hobbies for my 787 that's under the tree so will look for some shafts too.
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
Last edited by Hawaiian Flyin; Dec 25, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
323 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXSDR7&P=K Think these would work?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
Yup....4mm dia, and you have a groove and clip for easy install for the nose retract!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Finished mine up and came out very nice already lookin to mod with retracts and flaps!
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Okay guys, had the big maiden today in KC MO. I was worried about the takeoff rollout length, but I have about 500 feet of runway to use, so didn't feel to stressed I taxied it to the end then gently pulled up on the throttle till I had her at full throttle. Thinking it was going to take forever, I just kept guiding it with the rudder, nudging at the elevator, but it took off in about 30-40 feet! The CG was spot on, didn't feel overpowered or underpowered. It does bounce around alot though, but it was expected with it being an airliner. On landing, I hit final and cut the power, and glided it into a dang near perfect landing, mains first, then setting the nose down. Put 2 batteries through it in the 30 degree weather then called it a day, overall I give this plane a big thumbs up, good job Ming
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE View Post
Okay guys, had the big maiden today in KC MO...............Put 2 batteries through it in the 30 degree weather then called it a day, overall I give this plane a big thumbs up, good job Ming
Congrats!! Great to hear of the success
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Opened the box today to see what I needed to start the build a question from a newbie EDF builder.

Ming has stated to use his connectors the red ones, I assume the T-type connectors he refers to not use is the Deans connectors. I have not seen the red connectors does anyone have a source to order that type of connector?

I would prefer the deans but if there is a chance of failure I will need to order the right connectors.

Thanks
Ron
Plankdriver6 is offline Find More Posts by Plankdriver6
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankdriver6 View Post
Opened the box today to see what I needed to start the build a question from a newbie EDF builder.

Ming has stated to use his connectors the red ones, I assume the T-type connectors he refers to not use is the Deans connectors. I have not seen the red connectors does anyone have a source to order that type of connector?

I would prefer the deans but if there is a chance of failure I will need to order the right connectors.

Thanks
Ron
What type of connector does the LiPo you are planning to use, have?? The only connection you need to match from the kit is your battery male plug to the male plug at the end of the "Y" harness affixed to the ESC's. Even tho Ming supplied a female "battery" connector to mate with ESC harness male connector, I chose to remove that type of connector from the supplied "Y" harness and soldered a male connector that matched the female connector on the LiPo's that I use
Last edited by bamaguy; Dec 27, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
323 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Ron
I'm using the HXT 4mm bullet connectors and haven't had a problem yet.
Hawaiian
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
BEWARE on my second flight today, the left rotors started popping off, lost thrust and it spun in It was all clean breaks though, will have her flying again in no time. Ming can I ask whats up with this? I had it set up just like how it was out of the box, no mods to it whatsoever.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Bamaguy
I will be purchasing new packs for the 777 my current packs don't have the C rating for this model. I plan on making a jumper to charge the pacs with. Everything else I fly using Lipo's uses deans for battery connections to heli's and chargers. Had never noticed the supplied connector at any of the hobby shops locally.

Hawaiian
Thanks for the numbers on the connectors you're using I'll add a few of these to the build order when it's ready to send off. I'll use your method on the packs that I order and the adapter cables for the chargers.
Plankdriver6 is offline Find More Posts by Plankdriver6
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Had never noticed the supplied connector at any of the hobby shops locally.
Horizon Hobby (E-Flite) and Hobby King sells them. They come in three sizes. 3, 4, and 5mm, if I remember correctly. The supplied ones are the smaller size, but plenty suffiencient for the load in this 777.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:10 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,535 Posts
Please don't use the T style battery plug on 777, two motor draw over 50A may melt the plug.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Hey Ming, or anyone for that matter, was wondering what would be a good replacement fan? I was thinking the Delta V480