HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:20 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,347 Posts
A simple solution to all of this is to go ahead and get a 4 channel high wing trainer but configure the servos and transmitter to the standard 3 channel setup (throttle on the left, elevator and rudder on the right). This is a simple unplug and re-plug of servo wires on the receiver. Trim the main wing. Unplug the aileron servo. Start flying and learning the characteristics of the new model in a comfortable 3 channel manner.
This is precisely the procedure I did with my Ares Gamma 370. I bought the base 3 channel model and also got the aileron "sport" wing upgrade and brushless motor upgrade. After about 18 three channel flights I installed the brushless motor and the new wing but didn't plug in the servos cuz I wanted to get used to the sport wing. After 6 flights like that, I plugged in the aileron servo and started flying. 12 flight later, I'm feeling great about my progression with 4 channel flying. The Gamma's a good plane except the stock props break easily, which is starting to really piss me off. But that's another story...

I'm thinking that the Fly zone "Switch" would be a good model to learn 3 channel high wing flying as I described above and then adding aileron later and then finally converting the plane to a full sport model when the pilot is ready. Part of me wishes I had done that but at the time I had no one whispering in my ear about disabling the aileron...

I'm hoping after a few more dozen successful flights with the Ares Gamma, I will be ready for my UMX Carbon Cub and then ultimately my HK Mini Swift.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Aug 02, 2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: more to add, grammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Hey Chino, does the motor on your Gamma 370 start as soon as you arm it and move the throttle stick? My motor doesn't even start after arming until just before the throttle stick is advanced to 50%. Although she flies great, this throttle thing is a bit annoying. I don't use the stock props either. I use after market props. The brand escapes me, but they are orange in color. These props are much, much tougher.

You're right though, you could try that method and fly a 4 channel plane on 3 channels using the aileron port on the RX for the rudder. Or, just adjust the dual rates on the 4 channel to have modest aileron throw and the plane will turn as docile as if the pilot were using the rudder to turn. I have done this on my PZ T-28 Trojan with good results.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:35 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
My motor doesn't even start after arming until just before the throttle stick is advanced to 50%.
chuck, is it for arming only or in general? i don't have your plane but not sure if its just a trim issue.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
In general. On the Ares Gamma 370, there is a small red button on the left side of the fuse that "arms" the ESC to spin the motor. I'm not sure it is a trimming issue as the problem exists not only on my DX6i, but also on my spare DX5e. The motor simply will not spin until about, oh, I would say, 45% stick travel. It has already cause one newb to crash my plane as she pulled the stick down to just past 50% and the plane did a no power nose dive while flying downwind in a 10+ mph breeze coming in to land. The plane is tough and really easy to work on, that's why along with Hobbyzone's Champ, Super Cub, and Firebird Stratos, the Gamma 370 is a great first trainer plane. I may have to go and buy a new ESC and see how that one works. They are only 15 bucks so no big deal. My only problem with the Gamma 370, other than the throttle issue, is that the plane uses a Tamiya/Molex type connector on the ESC and battery. My first crash with the plane was when the connectors failed and I lost power to my AR6115e RX that was bound to my DX6i TX. I have since replaced the connectors with EC2 type and they work great.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,347 Posts
Chuck,
with the brushless motor, there is no arming button. Always remember to turn the receiver on first, throttle at lowest position before connecting battery. The esc beeps as soon as the battery is connected and you're ready to go. Very similar to other planes. I have the RTF version with the Ares 6 channel Rx and Tx. The Tx has no duel rates or expo so I've been learning on full rates. Not a bad thing, it's just forced me to be gentle with the sticks. The first half of my flight I go WOT and then back off to 50% throttle just to increase flight time. I time myself 9 minutes with 1000mah 2s 20c battery and 13 mintutes with 1320mah 2s 13c battery. this way i always have power to land.
I've dead sticked twice in 20+ flights. No crashes because of it but would rather avoid flying dead stick. Luckily the control surfaces still work even without motor power so gliding in is no problem.

This morning, I put in a 3s 1300mah battery and 8X6 slowflyer prop, same setup as the Ares Video on YouTube. Wow... what a difference the the 3s battery makes. Flew very fast and very strong. I'm learning my maneuvers right now and great to have some strength behind the prop. Inverted flight and rolls are no problem. My goal is get as good as the guy on the video. Give a dozen and a half more flights and I'll get there.

Also, try putting the throttle trim at either their lowest or highest setting to see if that helps the arming problem. I haven't had any issues.

I understand the problems with the Tamiya connectors but haven't gone full bore in converting all my batteries (6+) to a different connector. The Tamiya connectors are easy to put on as they don't require any soldering. to me that's a huge plus. I just make sure everything is tight.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Aug 02, 2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: more to add, grammer
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
Yep, I have done all that, even the trim suggestion. I think I just need a new ESC. I fly all my 3 channel planes on hi rates. I use this plane mostly with newbies. It is always great to have a plane that a noob can fly when you take them to the flying field with you.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I have done all that, even the trim suggestion. I think I just need a new ESC.
Have you tried the brushless motor upgrade? it comes with the esc...
Well worth it.
Infinitely stronger, Infinitely quieter. At half throttle, I can barely hear it on a fly-by.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
No, haven't tried that yet as, like I said, it is my beginner "loaner" plane. It works quite well in that role.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,347 Posts
Quote:
No, haven't tried that yet as, like I said, it is my beginner "loaner" plane. It works quite well in that role.
I think if you are going to get a new esc for the old motor then you might as well upgrade the motor to brushless for some $30 more. You'll be glad you did.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership